Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends
I have above mentioned gun. Though it's fire is acceptably accurate, however I m not satisfied and confident on it, as compared to my other weapons.
Can someone please guide me on zeroing of this weapon.
Thanking in Advance. 20141204_205538_Richtone(HDR).jpg

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
Take it out and shoot on paper at a known distance. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet impact to move on the target. (Move it left to move impact left, right to move it right, up to move it up, down to move it down.) Loosen the large knob on the left to adjust elevation, loosen the screws on top to adjust windage.

The sight in your photo appears to be bent. It may just be an illusion from the camera angle. If it is indeed bent, I'd straighten it out prior to sighting in.

Hope that helps,

ANDY

Reactions: erimort

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
It will work without an aperture. The 81 DL with the model 12R sight was my first rifle. (I was 8 years old when it became "mine") It was also my first peep sight. With it I hunted squirrels, gophers, grouse, skunks, badgers etc etc. I had it for many years before I realized the aperture was missing. (Its still missing) I shot it as a "Ghost Ring" long before the term "Ghost Ring" was trendy. It was amazingly accurate! Remember, forget about the rear sight when shooting a peep. Just look through it. Your eye will automatically center the front sight. If you are going to be target shooting for ultimate precision, then yes, use a smaller aperture. It will clarify the front sight better due to the increased depth of field.

Reactions: Obaid

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
One good thing to do with peep sights, is off the bench at a set distance to start with, say 25m, fire a couple of rounds.
Then move the peep 4 or 8 clicks right and put in another two rounds.
Then the same Number of clicks down and two more rounds
Then same number of clicks left and two more rounds

You should end up with a rough square on your target. Measure the average length of the side of each square, and this will give you a guide as to how many clicks per inch (or cm) at that distance. Eg 1" for 8 clicks is 1/8" per click. This should translate to 1/4" per click at 50m and 1/2" per click at 100m (sorry to mix up my metric and imperial measures)

Repeat at 50m and 100m if the wind is low.
This way you can get to judge how many clicks you need to adjust at any given distance.
22lr drop significantly between 75-100m, up to 7-9" for standard velocity ammo.
Generally you would zero at say 50m if target shooting, or if wanting to shoot say rabbits in the field, zero at 75 m.
Using the first exercise you can work out how many clicks to adjust for the drop out further at 100m.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It will work without an aperture. The 81 DL with the model 12R sight was my first rifle. (I was 8 years old when it became "mine") It was also my first peep sight. With it I hunted squirrels, gophers, grouse, skunks, badgers etc etc. I had it for many years before I realized the aperture was missing. (Its still missing) I shot it as a "Ghost Ring" long before the term "Ghost Ring" was trendy. It was amazingly accurate! Remember, forget about the rear sight when shooting a peep. Just look through it. Your eye will automatically center the front sight. If you are going to be target shooting for ultimate precision, then yes, use a smaller aperture. It will clarify the front sight better due to the increased depth of field.
Excellent advice.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I suggest starting out at about 10 yards, with a LARGE enough target, to see any reasonable bullet strike. Shoot from some kind of rest. Concentrate on squeezing rather than jerking the trigger. Once you have some kind of group established, Then following the various above directions on moving the rear sight the needed directions. DONT move the sight on one or two shots, establish a group first.

I presume you are a novice other wise would not even be asking advice.

A group at 10 yards, maybe 3 inches high, is gonna be deadly on most any reasonable 22 class target out to 75 yards or so. Zeroing at longer ranges, you wont know if its the shooter, or the gun, or the cross wind if the impacts are not quite where you think they ought too be. Only experience will teach a shooter such information as too where to hold to hit targets at longer ranges, where both gravity and the wind will affect the bullet flying through the air.

Going by memory, a 22 round drops around 7" at 100 yards, with a 25 yard zero. A closer zero, simply lessens the shooters mistakes, or sights that are way off. The target will nearly always be hit at 10 yards, even with sights way out of adjustment. At longer ranges, the target may be missed in total.

Even on CF rifles, I save time and shoe leather and frustration, get a group a bit high at 25 yards, then moving the target to 100 or what ever range the weapon is intended for. Generally, one will need to come up with elevation for a 100 yard zero but even on older vintage rounds, they will still be on paper at 100, though perhaps towards the bottom of the target.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
You are shooting a 22 RF at 200 and 300 meters?
Using any wind flags?

With your rear sight banged over hard right, I suppose that would explain the starboard groups, even if not a whisp of wind was blowing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No wind flags used. There was no wind at all. The time was 10:30 a.m.
As far as rear peep site is concerned, it is not tilted towards right. You may call it my bad photography or camera illusion. Rear site is perfectly placed as it has to be.
Results are in front of you.
Wait.... I forgot to mention one thing. While firing I was taking aim of top left corner of white patch..... I hope this makes a bit of sense.
I m thankful to all for your valued comments and your guidance.
Your further comments will be highly appreciated please.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Well, I would mention that at 300 meters, it doesnt take much wind, to blow a 22 LR bullet totally off paper. Considering the group size, at that distance, you have a match rifle on your hands.

Due too the wind effect, it makes little sense to zero a 22 RF at that range. And since you have no flags, the wind may well have been blowing at 300, but not at the bench.

Best of luck with it in any case.:tee:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts