Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a sight mark mini shot red dot for my new 336Y 30/30 compact after 11 bullets i have a 3 shot group the size of a nickel about 3"'s low and 3"'s to the right but the dots adjustments are so jumpy i've decided to ask for help on the next step so what do you recommend from here

25 yards
Hornaby reduced recoil
caldwell lead slead

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
There is a big difference in recoil between a shotgun and a 30/30. Your sight should therefore, be able to handle your rifle's recoil. Were the adjustments always jumpy? If not, then maybe your sight has deteriorated with firing/zeroing. What I am getting at is this quote,".....the Mini Shot Reflex Sight will stay zeroed longer than competitor's reflex sights". From that I interpret that the sight will, in time, lose its zero. Maybe it has gotten to that stage of losing zero and you might not have a valid warranty claim in view of the "disclaimer", which I take the quote to be. An "out" for the maker, in other words. You won't know for sur until you take it up with them.
FWIW, I am on my third Leupold Delta Point, that being the second replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sight is brand new out of the box from Skinner, when I adjust the sight based on the instructions, the POI does not correspond to the change, should I adjust the elevation shoot and then adjust the wind-age. The last group @ 25 yards was great i just wanted to put it where I'm aiming.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
As I understand it, the adjustments are moving the POI too far or not far enough but your rifle shoots accurate groups. And you are adjusting both elevation and windage at the same time. That is how sights work, nothing wrong with that but not knowing your sight maybe you should try one-at a-time, as you suggest. When you zero next time, make a note of how much you move the sight's adjustment, to where you want your POI. You could calculate how far a given adjustment moves the POI. That way, you would know what each increment of adjustment is truly worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am shooting off of a porch down a hill at my target would this have any effect on my zeroing the Mini Red Dot. Wasn't sure if I should use a flat level area to shoot when zeroing the rifle. Doesn't make sense that it would matter but thought I'd ask. Its about a 30 ft elevation drop at 100 yards.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Probably not the greatest way to sight in a rifle but according to the article very little compensation for less than 100 yds. but I will say that less than 100yds might not be the best distance except to make sure it is on target due to the arc of the projectile. I usually get on target at 50 and then go directly to 100 and do the fine tuning there. when I initially put my scout scope on the 1895 with the xs lever rail I could not get the scope zeroed and was out of adjustment. naturally blaming the scope not my abilities to mount it or shoot. I never gave up but rather took the mount and the scope off and began fresh to install. I found some of the scope mount screws to be loose. Once re-installed I went back out and got the scope zeroed. I would not rule out trying to re-mount the base and make sure that is not the problem. I have no experience with "dot" sights but I think you should at least ensure the mount is correctly installed and tight.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Per the instructions -- adjust elevation, tighten windage-lock screw, adjust windage. Sounds screwy, I know, but trust me -- you will never get it zeroed unless you do it in that order. If that doesn't get it exactly right, loosen the lock screw and, once again -- elevation, tighten windage lock, windage.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have one on an air pistol and those adjustments aren't the best. A little goes a LONG way. An eighth of a turn moves your groups a lot. On mine, there is also a little slop on the elevation before it engages. That doesn't help. Best to go slow, add just a touch of adjustment, shoot and adjust, again. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine does not have the windage, elevation lock screw and there is sloop in the elevation screw, right now i'm at 100 yards i'm within a 2" group with old eyes and the dot covering up the targets center. Do you have a pic of where these lock screws are located just in case i'm blind.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Tigerpaw,

Thats odd with the Mini Shot, we have sold quite a few with only one that had issues. (Wire was pinched inside during assembly and the light would go on and off. The customer returned the sight and we replaced it immediately. Sight Mark sent us a replacement for our stock immediately)

Along with the sight there was a graduated disc designed to slip over the screw driver to make fine adjustments easier to see. Did you try using it?

Bottom line, if there is a problem with the sight, please return it for a replacement or refund. We want to make sure you have what you need.

Recoil has never been an issue with these sights. Several are in use on 45-70 Guide guns with no problems.

My apologies if I missed your email. During busy production months (most months actually) my internet time is limited so I miss the occasional post here.

We are here to help !

Email if there are more questions at [email protected]

Andy

Reactions: DeoVindice
1 - 12 of 12 Posts