Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought it NIB online, and picked it up at my LGS yesterday. I love this rifle! I love the 1:7 twist barrel for stabilizing my 75gr BTHP match ammo. The 18.5" barrel, and 5 pound weight unloaded, gives it good balance and a great feel. Good cheek to stock weld is very comfortable with my scope mounted. This "A" model has the steel M16A2 style front sight and a removable/adjustable rear peep sight, which also align very easily and comfortably.

The scope is a BSA 4-16x40 Mil-Dot model with 1/8" click adjustments. It is a free replacement from BSA because my original scope had the rubber armored coating that got real sticky, just sitting in the box, unused. So they replaced that scope with this matte finished scope. The original scope was otherwise identical to this one. The long sun shade makes this scope look massive and heavy, but it's really not. I tested BSA's warranty, and they delivered without any hassle.

I zeroed at 25 yards, with POI at 1/4" below point of aim. That equates to a 300 yard zero. This scope sits 2.5" above the bore. I was using handloads with Lake City brass, Rem 7.5 bench rest primers, 24gr Ramshot Tac and 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullets. Groups were under 3/8" at 25 yards. Considering it's not a match grade rifle, I'm very pleased with how it shoots. I'm confident that this rifle/scope/ammo combination is a 600 yard rifle.

Living in a state that hates black rifles (NY), this Kel-Tec SU-16 was my best option for filling that role.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bought it NIB online, and picked it up at my LGS yesterday. I love this rifle! I love the 1:7 twist barrel for stabilizing my 75gr BTHP match ammo. The 18.5" barrel, and 5 pound weight unloaded, gives it good balance and a great feel. Good cheek to stock weld is very comfortable with my scope mounted. This "A" model has the steel M16A2 style front sight and a removable/adjustable rear peep sight, which also align very easily and comfortably.

The scope is a BSA 4-16x40 Mil-Dot model with 1/8" click adjustments. It is a free replacement from BSA because my original scope had the rubber armored coating that got real sticky, just sitting in the box, unused. So they replaced that scope with this matte finished scope. The original scope was otherwise identical to this one. The long sun shade makes this scope look massive and heavy, but it's really not. I tested BSA's warranty, and they delivered without any hassle.

I zeroed at 25 yards, with POI at 1/4" below point of aim. That equates to a 300 yard zero. This scope sits 2.5" above the bore. I was using handloads with Lake City brass, Rem 7.5 bench rest primers, 24gr Ramshot Tac and 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullets. Groups were under 3/8" at 25 yards. Considering it's not a match grade rifle, I'm very pleased with how it shoots. I'm confident that this rifle/scope/ammo combination is a 600 yard rifle.

Living in a state that hates black rifles (NY), this Kel-Tec SU-16 was my best option for filling that role.

View attachment 831293

View attachment 831294

View attachment 831295

View attachment 831296

Nice rifle, congrats! I really like my SU16. Fun rifle to shoot. I've taken mine out to 200 yards and was banging steel. That's about the limit with the 4x scope I had on it.

·
Premium Member
15,238 Posts
nice lightweight rifle man! CONGRATS!

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool rifle. Way too much scope.
I plan to try this rifle at 600 yards this summer. If I load some 80gr bullets, I could try it at 1,000 yards, but I doubt I'll shoot it past 600 yards. I've shot 1,000 yard service rifle long range matches with iron sights on my match grade AR-15, but this Kel-Tec is not in the same league as that AR-15 was. I got rid of it 8 or 10 years ago when I stopped competing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts