Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Since they were all made in 30-30 you'd have to change or modify the bolt to switch to the .35. I recently had mine rebored to 38-55. Haven't shot it yet so can't report. I have a 336 rebored to same caliber however and it works great.
You can re-bore to 356Win or 35/30-30 without making any changes to the bolt. It's a straight re-bore and re-chamber. I have not done a Zane Grey, but did have an SC converted to 35/30-30. I was very happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I had my Glenfield 30-30 rebored to 375 Winchester and it shoots great. No regrets at all, and didn't have to change any parts, not even the bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Bought a basket case 30-30...found, bought, traded, and made some parts to make it whole again (and function).
Sent it off to JES, now reborn, and rebored to 35/30-30 it's a sweeeet shooter. Hunted with it exclusively this year,
one buck, two does, two turkeys, and a bunch of pigs. All but one turkey (ran about 20yds) dropped at the shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I understand this in an older thread and that few may respond but must ask...having just acquired a Zane and thinking seriously of sending to JES doe 375 rebore. The ? Is it wise and easier to remover the wood...and bolt for JES to do work??? This rifle is decent and am sure the 375 change makes sense.

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
I sent the entire gun, but many remove the wood. I would leave the bolt or check with JES to see if he needs it. I did a 30AS to 356Winchester.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What he said, above.

Everyone likes what they like, but you may want to consider the .356 over the 375. I never saw any difference in recoil between my Marlins chambered in both .375 & .356 (if that's a concern)

Either way, I'm certain that you will love either the .375 or .356. Best of luck with it 👍

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,619 Posts
I sent my Kmart 30-30 Ackley Improved wildcat with the buttstock removed to be rebored and chambered to the .375 WIN. Made for a smaller, shorter package that is less likely for thieves who might think it's a firearm, as well as to protect the buttstock. Great quality, would do it again. Fast turnaround also.

AC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank-you.

If JES test fires, I can see leaving bolt in place...

Just figured removing wood is easier on employees,,,

Now wonder if I should send a round...no ammo anywhere....

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I ever send another to JES I would remove the stock. I sent a Glenfield to be re-bored to 38-55 and the postal service managed to break the stock. I had insurance but they continued to deny the claim as there was no way verify the cost for a replacement. I was able to glue the stock back together.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I understand this in an older thread and that few may respond but must ask...having just acquired a Zane and thinking seriously of sending to JES doe 375 rebore. The ? Is it wise and easier to remover the wood...and bolt for JES to do work??? This rifle is decent and am sure the 375 change makes sense.
I mailed my complete Glenfield rifle in a hard plastic padded gun case, with a box around it. I paid JES an extra $25 dollars for the added shipping cost on his end. But I cleared it with Jesse first.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hogan and ballistics, Thanks and sorry to hear, Hogan about...USPS....too much water in their system and no buckets.

Epoxy, carefully done, is wondrous...I had already decided to remove butt stock only...forearm r&r is so picky...will leave bolt in also...you watch I will change to 375 and 30-30 ammo will be abundant as it was.Must tend to snowblower now...

Thanks and all the best.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Hogan and ballistics, Thanks and sorry to hear, Hogan about...USPS....too much water in their system and no buckets.

Epoxy, carefully done, is wondrous...I had already decided to remove butt stock only...forearm r&r is so picky...will leave bolt in also...you watch I will change to 375 and 30-30 ammo will be abundant as it was.Must tend to snowblower now...

Thanks and all the best.
I hope you reload, or plan to soon. That will keep you shooting, no matter how little factory ammo is available. Best of luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ballistics, Thanks.

I do handloads in cals I and one son shoot. but finding components is very tough...just paid $80 Scoots for two boxes of 30-30s which is dismal as I gave way three boxes year ago...

Also, seems the Zane is good model to mess with, as no one has nicked me for not keeping it orig (30-30)., if C-19 culling does not strike us down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts