Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I wish I had the money and could justify owning another Zane Grey rifle. I know I would not sell mine for $450, and the wood on this one looks better than what is on mine. I really like the way the 22 inch tapered octagon barrel feels when firing it. Less than 8,000 made in '71-72'.
Nice deal for someone as Numerich indicated they are sold out of the Zane Grey barrels they had in stock. Nice way to get an octagon barrel 30-30.
I am not connected to this auction in any way, except by envy of the potential buyer. Shenandoah

·
Registered
429 Posts
That is a great deal. If I had some extra money, I would buy another ZG in a heart beat.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Hey TOMRAY, if I was gonna start that BLUED COLLECTION what do you think of this one?

GB45

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Dang it, that is a NICE ZG, and me not sure what's happening with work after July 1 :-\. DP

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I am talking to the owner for some closeup pictures of the stocks. He says his camera is an old Sony with the diskette drive but he will send me some tomorrow soon as he can take them. I like the looks of it but IT IS NOT STAINLESS!!!!!!! Oh what's a fella to do???? Surprisingly he has had no bids on it yet.

GB45

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
FWIW, I made the drive up to Howard City to meet with him last night to look at the 336SC he has listed.

Spoke with him for about a half hour, seemed like the kind of guy that puts accurate descriptions on the auction. The SC is just like he described, and while I didn't see the ZG, the description on the SC was spot on.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
The question is, can I afford a second mortage ? Second problem being my banker is not a "gun person", and has no desire to help me adope a potential orphan. So many deserving Marlins, so little money. Shenandoah

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does to me , too. Kinda like it's painted to look like wood.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Shenandoah said:
Nice deal for someone as Numerich indicated they are sold out of the Zane Grey barrels they had in stock. Nice way to get an octagon barrel 30-30.
Shenandoah
Shenandoah, when I just visited Numrich's website, I entered an order for the Zane Grey barrel and followed it all the way through to the checkout stage w/o mention of it being out of stock. Matter of fact I ordered and received two last week with the purpose in mind of building two fairly identical project rifles for my grandsons. They're a few years away from being ready for them so I've got plenty of time, Lord willing of course, to locate a couple clunker actions to work with. At any rate, they do still seem to have the barrels in stock. I'm attaching a link below of the item I looked at: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11800

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Yep - TOMRAY - the BLUED COLLECTION has begun . . For those of you who do not know EVERY rifle and handgun I own is STAINLESS (16 of em) but with the situation with Remington now I figured there will be no more NEW Stainless Marlins in the near future except for those that are already owned.

I received several very closeup pictures from the owner and the stock is walnut wood but the coloration you see is in the MARSHIELD from 40 years of sitting. The barrel and receiver look perfect. I am sure I can clean it up or at worst refinish the stock. After all I am a woodturner by hobby.

GB45

·
Registered
553 Posts
Congrats! I almost hit the buy now button a couple of times myself. Post us some better pics when you get it. I feel quite certain pics from a newer camera and natural light would look better. Anyway great gun! Great price too!

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
- and by the way - - he told me there were at least 20 people watching the rifle and had been contacted by 6 so I decided to hit the BUY NOW BUTTON and avoid the whole bidding process. It was only $50 more so I get the rifle for $450 including shipping becasue of the BUY NOW option - and the owner, Jim's wife is named Bonnie just like my wife. Coincidence or what?

Just got off the phone with Jim and he says he bought that ZG from the son of the original owner and the son has no interest in guns. He said the wood stock does indeed have various colors in it and the MARSHIELD is clean and intact but the pictures do not do it justice. He said he does not think the action has been cycled more than a couple times because the bolt is as clean and shiny as new and shows none of the usual lines from the bolt going back and forth. He says the metal and bluing are perfect all over. Obviously I will take good pictures when I receive the rifle.

GB45

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think thats a great price. I had been watching it all day. At 7am as my wife was getting ready for work she said I better buy it that it won't last long! Oh well enjoy!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You gonna shoot her or just admire her? Good for you, glad you got it.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
We have had this discussion before - - a gun is made for shooting.. I do not believe in Safe Queens - however, this one will probably not get shot nearly as much as my newer Stainless rifles but I know I will get good comments when I show up with that one at the range.

GB45

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Congratulations on a beautiful rifle. I was really tempted to hit the buy now button the minute I saw it. I'm happy for you, (sad for me :'() ;D I sho would like to get me one o them octogon barrels on a thurty-thurty! ;) DP

1 - 20 of 34 Posts