Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I came across a 336 receiver with factory engraving (don't remember the edition) that was pitted up pretty bad. I took it to a local engraver after I cleaned up the pitting & let him loose on it. For a couple of hundred bucks it came back looking great. So yes an engraver can fix things up if there is enough there to work with- just depends on how much you want to put into it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome! Hubby got me mine almost 10 years ago for my b-day. Love it! Flawless action. Haven't seen anyone with a low sn. Mine is in the 700's. Enjoy your prize!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Joe S., Buffalo Arms Co. and perhaps others sell Smith ladder sights. Kind of pricey.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just picked up a ZG 30-30, which is sort of beat...must smooth some pits and polish..., maybe redo buttstock, I have not shot it, as am planning to sand refinishing stocks...

Maybe rebore to 375...as it is sort of beat, and paid too much, but....$650 I learned to grab and keep mouth shut.

One thing I have notice is these limited ed. rifles do not seem to have buttstock bullseye...might have to add one.,,Might also send to JES for the rebore...yes i know rifle is one year edition. But, even nice bore cannot make a pig's ear into a nice silk purse...

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
It should have a bullseye, possibly your stock has been replaced or has someone placed a sling stud over it.

Reactions: Oakscool

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I've said this before, Zane Greys don't get the attention they deserve.
I challenge anyone to name another Marlin Tapered Octagon Barred Rifle with a Pistol Grip.
The Generally unstained wood and only the brass butt plate and end cap to compete with the Medallion on the receiver.
As a shooter the combined Pistol grip and Tapered Octagon Barrel make this a sweet shooter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It should have a bullseye, possibly your stock has been replaced or has someone placed a sling stud over it.
95 Lever, Agreed. I rremoved the wood and it appears the previous person who owned it decided the Bullseye indicated place and put the rear sling swival there. but not sure. No way to know...Numrich did have an illus with no Bullseye, so that made me wonder...Thanks.

I suspect the Bullseye will be available, and can fill the spot with wax or epoxy and open later. Gun need some TLC.
I've said this before, Zane Greys don't get the attention they deserve.
I challenge anyone to name another Marlin Tapered Octagon Barred Rifle with a Pistol Grip.
The Generally unstained wood and only the brass butt plate and end cap to compete with the Medallion on the receiver.
As a shooter the combined Pistol grip and Tapered Octagon Barrel make this a sweet shooter.
ZG to me was 2nd rate, short stories, Elmore Leonard wrote more interesting tales, albeit mostly dealt with Apache and area.

And, thanksl Gun only made for year. All above observations all correct re bullseye and curved walnut buttstock...this gun was neglected. At least bore is nice...tools are best clean...

And thanks aii, I now have direction. Need to locate ammo,

Reactions: 95 Lever

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
ZG to me was 2nd rate, short stories, Elmore Leonard wrote more interesting tales, albeit mostly dealt with Apache and area.
Didn't make a Rifle with his name on it did they?

Next year, My Zane Grey Century will be 50 years old, Zane Grey's 150th Birthday year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Didn't make a Rifle with his name on it did they?

Next year, My Zane Grey Century will be 50 years old, Zane Grey's 150th Birthday year.
True, but it is likely JM never heard of EL...Of course, different eras...

·
Registered
30 Posts
BTW, My rifle bbl is about 21.5-inches...just doweled it...FWIW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
O...thanks, thought I bought a bad one.

My ZG also does have some spots need attention but bore is shiny....maybe, if redo is dccent, will keep as made in 3030, though no ammo avail anyplace....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
maybe, if redo is decent, will keep as made in 3030, though no ammo avail anyplace....
It's not like 38-55 or 375win are available either.
When 30-30 is available it will still be one of the least expensive half or less the price of the other two, if you can find them.
30-30 brass is cheaper.
O...thanks, thought I bought a bad one.
That half inch always bugs me.
It's nothing in the greater scheme of things...Right?

If another Rebore had not come to me I already would have talked myself into reboring my ZG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
O, I suppose I should feel lucky I have 375 brass and one box of 100 grainers. Now now 30-30s are gone most pop deer round. Guess fewer hunters. Smart...

FWIW, Starline carries 375-W brass. I likely picked up the lead from Nathchez but do not recall...whomever stocked 200 graineers. We use 30-30 ilegally here in MN onu pvt land 30-30s and 375 and 29ga saboted slugs...like Sat.

Yep that 22-inch fib bugs me too. sSorta left me with a glotted gut...we have been getting the advert shaft since the 60s..IMO.

MN has crazy game laws like IA. In WI just accross border, after 3/4 days anything goes...Whacy legilatures both sides.But mostly Rs.Here and there///we can hut with 45 cal in pistol but only slugs in long gun...smart, with fishing trout closed now...then we hear Poor Boy howls.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As i have it, the Marlin Zanes were mfgd in Northhaven as JMs for one year in
'71, with a 21.75 inch octo bbl and Walnut wood...some may have been Microgrooved but most were standard. Accurate too.

I found beater for too much money and now no 30-30s avail, FWIW,,,

So might send in for rebore to 375,

41 - 58 of 58 Posts