Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks like i have way more than 12 so i'm guessing microgroove.

I dont mind the medallion i guess. I love the configuration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've wondered what is underneath the medallion too. I think the medallion makes it a little "tacky" looking. I think it would have looked better inset in the butt stock rather than glued on to the receiver.

There is a shallow round recess machined into the receiver that the medallion is glued in to. I have one that was a rust bucket & damaged stock when it came my way. I did a hot water blue on it & the glue melted out revealing the recess under the medallion, repaired the stock as well . Had it rebored to .375 by JES since the bore was pretty rough, came out looking pretty good in the end.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Since the bluing on the receiver of mine is not too good I was thinking about having it color case hardened so I was wondering if there was a recess machined in it for the medallion. I kinda figured there wasn't (extra machining=extra cost for manufacturer) so I am very happy to see that post :)

-Bob

Reactions: Joe S.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just the barrel or the whole gun???

Oh just re read that. You said EB. So barrel...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Congratulations on a lovely rifle. I've had my ZG for 18 months now, and have put a lot of cast rounds through it shooting lever silhouette. The previous owner did the same, but it doesn't appear to have bothered it much. Probably copes with the soft loads for the cast quite easily. The load I use is 17 grains of 2207 behind a 165 gn cast pill. I reckon Reloader 7 is the equivalent over your way. The action is worn in and nice, the trigger is nice, the rifle is nice. Not much more to be wantin' for.

Enjoy your rifle. I hope it brings you as much enjoyment as mine does to me.

cheers, curan

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Curan,
What size cast bullet do you shoot? I have a bunch of .309 i wanna use.

And what sights do ya have on yours?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I am shooting pre-lubed, flat nose .309 dia Laser Cast True Shot bullets with a gas check from Oregon Trails. I use Unique and IMR 4198 powder. This is a real accurate load. I have never had any leading issues. The barrel is a MicroGroove and does shoot cast bullets very well. Please send us a range report.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for that info Mountain Hunter.

I have a few gas checked but most of my 30-30 cast is not. So far i've loaded those with Trail Boss and Unique. Have yet go shoot any tho.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Curan,
What size cast bullet do you shoot? I have a bunch of .309 i wanna use.

And what sights do ya have on yours?
I use Hawkesbury River cast pills, .308 Dia 165gn Round Nose Flat Point CopperHawke Coated projectile. They seem to go fine in the microgroove.

The sights were on it when I got it, but they are Williams FP style. I prefer reciever sights.......

The top rifle is my 1894m and the bottom is the ZG. You can see a bit of the sight in it...

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Well, I stopped by Cabela's today and lo and behold, they had a Zane Gray for $549. Grabbed it out of the gun library and "OH NO" previous owner had etched his name and 1972 on the left side of the receiver. Other than that it looked good but I put it back on the shelf and walked away. First one I've had in my hands. DP

·
Administrator
23,804 Posts
Get it out and shoot it. Not many can brag they took Zane Grey to dance. ;)

Nice looking. Never seen one in the flesh.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey DP, other than the artwork, how did ya like it?

Thanks curan, i found a place online the other day selling plated bullets for $103/1k and almost bought em.

Kinda wish i had now...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I brought it to my folks seany but looks like i'm out of daylight before i get the chance. Tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Joe, if it hadn't had the art work, she'd be home now. Damn shame. DP

Reactions: Mountain Hunter

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well, I stopped by Cabela's today and lo and behold, they had a Zane Gray for $549. Grabbed it out of the gun library and "OH NO" previous owner had etched his name and 1972 on the left side of the receiver. Other than that it looked good but I put it back on the shelf and walked away. First one I've had in my hands. DP
Makes you wonder if a good engraver could clean it up into something nicer, a bit like they cover up bad tattoos?

Edited to add; Or you could just add your name and 2014 underneath his, then take it out and shoot it a lot!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts