Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heres one I got tonight. Its a Marlin 30-30 Zane Grey edition. 22" tapered octagon barrel with brass forend tip, trigger, and butt plate. I have wanted one of these for several years and it kinda fell into my lap last week when Don845 contacted me through Gunbroker about a 44 mag I had listed. Not sure it's ever been fired. Zane Grey was a dime store western novel author. He wrote a lot of short stories and also some novels I think. Dad's grandpa got to hunt gators with him when he was younger...

Overall pic is probably crappy. Was taking over my head.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am envious, very nice.

Reactions: Joe S.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Beautiful rifle!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Some one is always making me drool on my key board. Very nice rifle indeed. Shoot that baby.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I wonder if that series has any collectors value beyond the price of the rifle. I saw a nice 20" round barrel 30-30 Zane Gray sell for $325 last year at an auction. It may never have been fired or very lightly used. I didn't bid on it, typically I am not interested in Centenial anything rifles or other marketing schemes. i have enough 30-30's to keep me occupied for longer than I am going to be here.

Looks lke your ZG is in great shape!

Mike T.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Beautiful rifle! Is it for display or shooting?

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Now that is nice!!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Congrats the really nice ZG. I got one a few years for shooting in cowboy lever action silhouette matches and to take hunting. it is a real nice shooting 336. The little bit of extra heft that extra 2 inches of barrel gives you, really help hold it steady when shooting with open sights and from an off hand/unsupported position. I also use it for some long range dinger shooting. With a set of Lyman side mounted peep sights, I had enough elevation to get it set on the 450 dinger and ring it a bunch of times. I ran out of elevation trying to get to the 650 yd dinger and had to rely on using the "Green Bush" method of Kentucky hold over.
I am currently sending my ZG in for some chamber work and have plans to rework the finnish of the stock while that is going on. In my opinion the ZG is a really nice looking rifle. I am not really big on the gold medaleon on the side of the receiver, however it is, what it is. I hope you get out there shoot the heck out that rifle. You find it is a shooter! Good luck, Ron

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have a ZG also that I bought as a project. It was a little rough, but it was all there. The finish on the wood had started to flake a little and someone had dropped it right on the toe of the butt stock. It bent the buttplate and chipped off the toe. I repaired the damaged area with wood from a donor stock I lucked into at a gun show. Then I stripped the remaining finish off both pieces of wood and refinished them. I used a little stain to accent the wood and spray-on urethane spar varnish because it is made for outdoors and has UV protection. I think it came out great and the repair is only noticeable under close, close inspection.

Let us know what you think of it when you shoot it. I really like the feel of mine and I bet you will too. It sure is a nice looking rifle you have there and I hope you enjoy it.

-Bob George

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
That model is one I would like to run across for a fair price. I have yet to hold one in my hands, might be a good thing. Congratulations on such a nice rifle! DP

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments yall. Mike, i did not know they made a Zane in any configuration other than this. I cant see it being worth any more than a regular rifle unless someone just enjoyed Zane's works. I think it's neat b/c my dad met him. And i love the configuration. Otherwise, it's just another commemorative.

Shootingdentist, just like my 50th anniversary Ruger flattop the gold inlay is bound to get powdersmoke on it. Just not into safe queens.

Mountain Hunter, I've thought about a side peep, but I would love to find a ladder sight. Anyone got any pointers?

Good for you Bruiser. Always good to save a beater!!

Wonder what it'd look like under the medallion. Not that I'll remove it but just curious.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is this a microgroove gun? I didn't see it marked on the barrel.

And i'm guessing these were made in 1972...

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I've wondered what is underneath the medallion too. I think the medallion makes it a little "tacky" looking. I think it would have looked better inset in the butt stock rather than glued on to the receiver.

There was no other configuration. I saw that post too and I wondered if maybe he was referring to a win*******?

I think they are worth more than a run of the mill 336C, but that's just my opinion. I have no evidence to support it other than the guy who has one for sale at a online site for 2,000. It's been there for a long time :)

They are under-valued though when you compare them to what a actual "Cowboy" are selling for though.

-Bob

1 - 20 of 58 Posts