Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I ended up with a Zabala Hermanos double barrel 20 gauge that has been just sitting in my safe. I was told it was imported and sold by Sears and Roebuck, this one supposedly sometime in the 50's. I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with them or knowledge about them. It is a real nice gun for what it is and thought since I've not been using it, I'd try to trade it for something I would use.

Thanks for your input.

Mop

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Virginian. This IS a spanish gun but don't know the importer.

Mop

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Zabala Hermanos is the Importer, not the manufacturer.
There were many spanish shotgunsmade by various makers back in the 50's-60's that carried the importers mark.
This was marketed as a working mans gun.In other words economy gun.
I have owned a few myself.In excellent condition ,come up for sale in the auction threads for $275-$350.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mop

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I have a Zabala 12 GA that is engraved' Kassnar Imports'. No idea who sold them.

Reactions: Mop

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one is nicely engraved. Not the fine engraving seen on high end doubles but very nice.

Mop

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You bet Troy! Just dreamin bout Marlins.

Mop

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
zabala bros

I started in the gun business in retail in 1975 and recall these guns as being nice for the $$.
cant recall if I sold them at retail in the late 70's or later as I moved into wholesale in the 80's
Kassnar imports went out of business and was later reformed as KBI , who imported many guns in the 90's-2000's
Churchill shotguns, Browning hi power clones, etc.
went out of business again a few years ago.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I have seen many many guns with Zavala, or similar on them. AYA, instead of spelling out Arranzabal and Arranzabal or something similar if memory serves, and many many other harder to spell names, with Basque origins, a small country stuck up between Spain and France, are famed for producing thousands of import shotguns in the 50s and 60s.

I am pretty sure Zabala is the maker, rather than the importer. Back when they came in guns did not always have the importers name on them. Stoeger, Interarms, FIE, were once famed for bringing in basko guns, as they are called around here, since those with Basque heritage, due to the sheep ranching NV was once famed for are residents.

They had cottage industries at the time, a gun with lots of engraving, and the next none at alll, may have come from the same group of makers. The Basque gun industry now uses modern CNC machinery and modern heat treating. By U S standards, most of those basko guns, were very soft in the triggers and sears. Firing pins were soft, and ejectors and extractors were a common ailment.

The quality of the modern "spanish" made gun, is much better at present. AYA is a notable standout in their higher grade offerings. Some believe equal to any thing the italians offer and especially the baltic made guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts