Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience with them good or bad?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with them... But...

My Nephew and his Wife used to rent one pretty regularly, and probably will again after their kids are a bit older. It is pretty tough to snowshoe with a 18 month old and an infant. They told me that they are nicer than a tent, especially in colder weather. They live in Colorado, and the Yurts they were talking about were in fairly high country, but not sure exactly where. The ones they rented were pretty well established and from that, I don't know how portable they are. Might take some more time moving, preparing and setting than a tent.

Also, near me, there is a semi-permanant Yurt set-up for rental on some private land adjacent to Nat'l Forest ground. Looks interesting, but don't know how much they charge per night/weekend, etc.

Will be pretty interesting to read actual experiences others have had with them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My wife and kids have rented them before and loved it but I think the bill was close to a motel room or more. We also know a person who owns one in the west it is in a Yurt community I beleive she is renting it out now.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
My next door neighbor has one here in SE Alaska and every time I go visit them it is warm and toasty inside with wood heat, just like a cabin, only with this amazing dome window at the peak. It takes snow load great and before it was here he had it up in the Alaska range where it gets can get -50 and lots of wind. They seem pretty stout to me, definitely a huge step up from a wall tent IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I considered LIVING in one on a piece of ground out here that I wanted to buy. So I was going to buy one or buy a tipi, seriously, until I got a small cabin built.

I ended up not buying that piece of land so I never got that far.

The TIPI interested me more and some of them are still made out here.

For one person, me, it would have been fine. They make them for 2 or more people too.

The issue that I had at the time was BEARS = grizz, not only black bears, up there in the mountains. Yes, I was always armed with a GUN, ON MY BODY, even doing something right outside of my camper and/or more than one GUN inside of my vehicle and many guns plus a couple of knives INSIDE of my camper = my former Coleman pop up camper.

Indians were/are smart when it came to their tipi living. Nomads are smart with their tents and yurts too. It depends on how they are made and in what climate they are made for whether you stay PUT or are truly NOMADIC in your lifestyle.

Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
PS:

If you go to some survival and off the grid forums (Good and bad in them too!), you can find many articles about living in them.

Or just Google your interest and you will find tons of other LINKS about these things.

Best wishes to you!

Catherine

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking(?) of a permanent structure to live in when and if I ever get the bleep out of Atlanta and move out to the family land in west Ga. Something like this http://www.smilingwoodsyurts.com/

Thanks for the replies ya'll :D

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
LT said:
I was thinking(?) of a permante structure to live in when and if I ever get the bleep out of Atlanta and move out to the family land in west Ga. Something like this http://www.smilingwoodsyurts.com/

Thanks for the replies ya'll :D
It is definitely doable. My neighbors have 2 yurts, a big one with kitchen, living room and a smaller one connected with a covered breezeway that is their bedroom. The biggest difficulty might be upper middle class neighbors freaking out about yurts ruining their property values etc. Then there are the codes and zoning, but get to a more rural area and it shouldn't be a problem. :)

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eaglesnest said:
It is definitely doable. My neighbors have 2 yurts, a big one with kitchen, living room and a smaller one connected with a covered breezeway that is their bedroom. The biggest difficulty might be upper middle class neighbors freaking out about yurts ruining their property values etc. Then there are the codes and zoning, but get to a more rural area and it shouldn't be a problem. :)
I won't be able to see my neighbors out there ;D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Never tried one, have looked at them and tried to rent one in the Oregon Parks but they usually booked up well in advance. All of the Oregon Parks along the coast have them and they are very very popular, so from that data alone I'm thinking that they must be pretty workable. Looks like the other responses are along the same line. Let us know how they work out from your point of view.

BMC

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
LT said:
I won't be able to see my neighbors out there ;D
Just so you can't see Russia and you will be alright... ;D

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eaglesnest said:
Just so you can't see Russia and you will be alright... ;D
I can't see Alabama from where the land is and it's only a few miles away ;D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
When the wife and I were looking at property there were a few listings with Yurts on them. Based on what they were asking for them they don't appear to add much value. So if resale is a consideration you'd be better off building a traditional cabin.

There's an outfit out this way that builds Yurts, pretty darn spendy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It has been a while since I have had the chance to drop by MO.

This thread reminded me of something you all may find usefull for your backwoods camps.

Check out the "Hexayurt" and various plans/uses. With minimal cash outlay, simple building techniques you can get a semi-perminant shelter up in a very short time.

A web search will provide hours of entertainmet and perhaps spark some ideas.

A friend is putting the finishing touches on one to provide his winter home here in Interior Alaska (insulated with 2" rigid foam). There is no waste using 4x8 sheetgoods to erect one of these.

Be blessed.

Scotty

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Coldfingers said:
It has been a while since I have had the chance to drop by MO.

This thread reminded me of something you all may find usefull for your backwoods camps.

Check out the "Hexayurt" and various plans/uses. With minimal cash outlay, simple building techniques you can get a semi-perminant shelter up in a very short time.

A web search will provide hours of entertainmet and perhaps spark some ideas.

A friend is putting the finishing touches on one to provide his winter home here in Interior Alaska (insulated with 2" rigid foam). There is no waste using 4x8 sheetgoods to erect one of these.

Be blessed.

Scotty
Hey Scotty, whereabouts in the interior? I spent my first 50 years in Fairbanks and surrounding areas fighting to stay warm! Now I live in the banana belt, SE AK. 2" of blue foam, that's about R-10, which is adequate for a small structure so long as you supply it with enough heat and you don't mind a little frost down the walls! ;D Heck I have stayed warm working outside at -50 with just a visqueen tent and a Tioga heater idling nearby, so long as the heat doesn't get interrupted.. Tell your buddy to be careful if he doesn't have drywall over that foam, it is flammable, can flash burn even so watch those ignition sources.. Extreme cold weather and houses burning to the ground are almost synonymous.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've stayed in them in a few different places, and they are nice, and most of the companies that build yurt kits make them in a wide range of sizes with lots of options. Awesome in the wind. Yes, they're kind of expensive per square foot, but the nice thing about them is they go up fast, and can also be taken down and moved, unlike a regular stick framed cabin. All those Mongol herders can't be all wrong.... ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts