Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are familiar with this model, I would appreciate hearing what field game applications you use it for and why you might favor it over say the .35 Rem or one of the Big Bores?

I have heard folks include the .375 as a big game round, but because of the bullet size I have presumed it cannot properly be classed as a big bore round or gun. Am I wrong on that?

Do you Marlin 375 owners shoot primarily factory or reload? What are you preferred brands or loads, if you don't mind saying.

Thanks very much,
lazer

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have two one a Winchester the other a Marlin both are extremely accurate with my reloads. I use it for deer,hogs, bear and my father shot a moose cow with the Win. he borrowed from me.
It has more snot than the 35 rem, not alot but more. It will never be equal to a bottleneck of equal or near equal caliber but a good all around caliber within it's own world.
IMHO Marlin should have brought the 336CB out in it rather than the 38-55 as there is a better choice of jacketed bullets for the .375.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Factory loads are hard to find and expensive. The last couple boxes that I purchased had to be ordered and cost $27.00 per. It is a lot less expensive to reload. 35 Remington and 444 factory loads are much easier to find and cost less. The 375 Marlin is a good gun. I would rate it about equal to a 356. If you get a 375 and you plan to reload, go ahead and get brass now, as brass is getting harder to fit. A good used 35 Marlin cost about $250. A good used 375 Marlin will cost about $450 in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to address the first part of your question. It is good for deer, black bear, and hogs. I have never used it for bigger game, but it should be able to handle elk. I don't really consider it a big bore. To me, a big bore starts at 40 caliber and up, just personal opinion. But, in my opinion, the 375 Marlin is one of the best lever action guns that Marlin ever made.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's a great round for woods hunting. I've only used it on whitetails so far. 5 deer with 6 rounds (had to coup one in the neck after spining it). All the deer have either dropped or stumbled forward less than 10 yards and piled up. I'm sure it is capable on larger deer and even moose. If you go by the Taylor Knockout Formula, which gives points for bullet diameter, it is as hard hitting as the .356.

It is at it's best as a reloaders round. Brass can be made from 30-30 and 38-55. Commercial brass is available from Winchester currently.

In the Marlin it is accurate and hardhitting.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hey I like odball rounds. If I came across one at anything close to a reasonable price I would snatch it up.

You have a fine round that will do you proud on deer, black bear, hog class critters and you won't meet anyone in the field with the same rifle. I know that it is just me but I always consider the latter a big plus.

Larry

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have had mine for about 18 months now. A Leupold VXII 2 - 7 sits atop it and makes for a potent combo. I used it in Ranch Dog's Postal Match and did amazingly well using factory loads. I have heard it called a 200 yd. round -- well ok but only with reloads. Factory loads are too anemic and generally too inaccurate for such distances.

I paid almost $500 for the rifle (98%) including shipping and two boxes of ammo.

And yes, ammo is expensive. I have found that Wisconsin Carteridge Company loads this round but only the 220 gr. Winchester loads the 200 gr and seems to be more accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I picked mine about a year ago,mostly to fill a niche in my collection.Fairly accurate with Hornady's220gr.flat point and 38gr RL7(under 2 inch groups at 100yds)with a Pentax 2.5 shotgun scope.Took a nice little 5 pointer at 20 yds last fall,the slug removed one complete vertebra just behind his skull.Now that it has been properly"blooded" it will hold a distinguished position in my collection.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got a lovely one last year for $400. including dies and brass, but haven't reloaded for it. It does good with Wisconsin cartridge and Winchester. It has a Leopold 2-7. May use it for deer this year. Used it some of the time for spring bear hunting.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had two, one 99.9%, one literally NIB.
I sold the 99.9% one and the other is just too durned pretty to shoot.
Ranger

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have dropped lots of deer with mine,375 win big bore 94.
hornady 220 gr sp
36.0 grs RL7
win brass
win primer

most of the deer dropped in their tracks.

I have a few good loads worked up for cast bullets in the win BB 94 but with the marlin it might take some work to get a good cast load with the micro-groove barrel but it can be done.
if you can find a ruger #3,sav 99,win or a marlin in 375 jump on it.
pete

·
Registered
193 Posts
I, have had mine for years. Its the pre cross bolt safety model. Great shooting and carring gun. I have taken several deer with it and had no tracking involved. If you look at the pawn shops and older hardware stores that carry guns you can find the ammo under $20.00 per box. Cheaper than Dirt has the ammo for $22.13 a box. I have several guns to hunt with, but this ones goes on every trip.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I, have had mine for years. Its the pre cross bolt safety model. Great shooting and carring gun. I have taken several deer with it and had no tracking involved. If you look at the pawn shops and older hardware stores that carry guns you can find the ammo under $20.00 per box. Cheaper than Dirt has the ammo for $22.13 a box. I have several guns to hunt with, but this ones goes on every trip.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Don't let brass slow your decision, if you reload. Any new .38-55 brass can be readily used in the .375, so that's not a concern.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As long as you reload, go for it. Winchester factory .38-55 makes a nice plinker load in mine, but is expensive. I have heard the 220 Hornady does real well in this cartridge. I swage my own jacketed bullets, and have killed deer with them.

Great cartridge if you reload, otherwise you will do better with a .35 Rem.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Perfect combo, the .375win. in a Marlin,heck I'd take a .375win. in a 94.

Buckeye

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had a Marlin 375 for about a year. I have only fired my handloads in it so far. It is very accurate with the Hornady 220 bullet and a charge of Reloder 7 powder. It is scoped with a Weaver 1X3, and I feel it is a great woods hunting rig for whitetail deer. The 375 is certainly capable of taking bigger game. I looked for a Marlin 375 for a long time before I came accross this one, which is in excellent condition. I also got 100 new cases in the deal. The 375 should be more popular than it is currently. Perhaps more hunters will decide to chose a tool well suited to the task, rather than the latest whizz bang short fat cased wonder touted by the gun press. :wink:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have yet to purchase anything on the say so of magazines.
Real time tried and true testimonials are perfect.
Ranger

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am sorry this is gonna be so brief. But I am pissed at the way this site works.

I just finished a total over view on caliber with specific information and my experience with the 375 caliber for more than 20 years. If you've ever read anything by CHUCK HAWKS and you find his article on this caliber take note about the info on the cost of ammo for this rifle vs more powerful rifle calibers back then. He used the information I sent him! The cost of the ammo led to the DIRECT DEMISE of this caliber. The pukes at Winchester were marketing morons. I never read an unfavorable ariticle about this caliber.

....after proof reading I went back to correct spelling mistakes and
re-position a few sentences and when I clicked back everything was gone...this sucks...WARING PAGE HAS EXPIRED....CRAP....lost it all.

I shot a Deer at more than 300 yards. In left rear leg, slug came to rest under hide of right front shoulder.

Shot a group at a marked 100 yards off hand and when I first saw the hole from 50 yards out it looked as if I had hit it only once and boy was I pissed. At 25 yards I saw a white spot between two holes. I felt a bit better cause I knew I had hit it twice. At 5 yards from the target I looked around to see if anyone else was shooting at my target

At arms reach I took a quarter out of my pocket. I covered all 3-holes!

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey folks,

I appreciate all the input and insight. Very illuminating and encouraging.

I did acquire a Marlin 375 in very good condition, the only one I have ever seen. It is missing the little trademark target in the stock and no sling (which I guess was standard) but otherwise is a crisp, clean, honest gun that appear to have been little used. It was worth, I think, the price of $360 which I bargained down from $425.

Also managed to pick up the dies in excellent shape at a recent gun show, so will probably be reloading before too long.

Thanks again,
lazer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts