Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all of a suden grown attached to this neat litle round. Its goes as fast as a typical .22lr standard, shoots 45-60 grn. bullets. Not the best ballistics, but it was desighned a long ago for close range self defense with pocket autos. I may end up using a Taurus flip up .25 pocket auto for a conceal carry gun. Sometimes pocket autos can kick with.32auto configurations since they are so small. the .25 doesnt, shoots just like a .22 with a bit extra force. They hold 9 rounds, so from a yard away wont be hard to kill an attacker with that much rounds...or give it to em in the head.

·
Super Moderator
15,902 Posts
981tman said:
I have all of a suden grown attached to this neat litle round. Its goes as fast as a typical .22lr standard, shoots 45-60 grn. bullets. Not the best ballistics, but it was desighned a long ago for close range self defense with pocket autos. I may end up using a Taurus flip up .25 pocket auto for a conceal carry gun. Sometimes pocket autos can kick with.32auto configurations since they are so small. the .25 doesnt, shoots just like a .22 with a bit extra force. They hold 9 rounds, so from a yard away wont be hard to kill an attacker with that much rounds...or give it to em in the head.
Get a Beretta Mdl 21A Bobcat......................

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

·
Registered
355 Posts
Before you pay your hard earned money for a 25 auto, try to borrow one, and test it out yourself. The stopping power of a 25 auto doesn't compare to 22 Stingers from my experience. If you go down to that level, you'd be better off with a 22 LR pocket pistol.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
there neat and easy to hide.. Like I posted before something is better than nuthing.. but my personal choice would be 9mm/38 snubby or up.. I have a 9mm derrenger just for that reason.. when the others just do fit into my dress code.. :lol:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Dad has a Taurus .25 auto flip up, won it at a Friends of the NRA event. Neat little banger, but I have to agree with JL, it doesn't have much penetration. Gunjunkie's idea of a derringer in that size class is neat. I've never considered a .38 or 9mm derringer, but if I had to carry, (I have a NC CCL) and had to carry really small, I think the derringer would outshine the .25acp.

Just a related rant, please skip this part!

A concealed carry gun is the one you hope you never need, and always need to have on hand. If I ever had to use mine, it would likely be very up close and personal. Folks (myself included) often forget, that if you USE your concealed carry to shoot a low life, scum sucking pig who deserves it, you could still wind up IN PRISON. Period. There will be an investigation. You won't be awarded a medal. You will very likely have to stand trial in front of a jury, who may be pro or anti gun. If you only wound the guy, you would still have to face all this (attempted murder?) and have a lawsuit on you from the scum sucker for all you own, as well. Your 20 yard accuracy at Thunder Ranch isn't nearly as important as undisputable right to make the shot you contemplate making in a real life situation! Just a rant, sorry you read this anyway.
:oops:

·
Registered
265 Posts
...just to add to your rant.

If you ever DO use your cc weapon, chances are you will NEVER get it back. It will be confiscated for the trial and odds of getting it back are almost zero. (something I read on the NRA web site)

Not a big deal since it has just saved your life or the life of a loved one but it's something to consider when spending big bucks for a carry gun.

Another thing to think about is that you don't need a carry gun accurate out to 100 yards. It's hard to justify self defense if you shoot someone further away than 20 feet or so (at least in NH where we are suppose to flea if possible).

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
We don't have to flee or find a way out.. nor do they get to keep or distroy the weapon in any manner.. I do like some of Pa's laws..

·
Registered
688 Posts
I often forget about it, maybe because it was sorta borrowed, but I had one. Note the past tense...

I carry a .45. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
We like reloading ammo around here and the only problem with a 22 RF is that you can't reload it... My dad has a Raven 25 ACP that is one heck of a little pistol. Winchester has discontinued making brass for it but Magtech has picked up the slack. Lee makes the dies and it takes just a pinch of powder.

I do wish there was a 50-grain HP or SP bullet available. I've been using the bulk Remington bullet but given my dad's choice of targets, I've been thinking of trying the Speer Gold Dot 35-grain JHPs but just wish they were a heavier bullet for my dad as he has gotten pretty good at popping stray dogs, skunks, etc. with it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a Seecamp in 25acp. I really like this little gun, but I probably wouldn't buy one these days. The same frame is available in 32acp, and that's a better choice.

I do feel the 25acp has had a bad rap, though. It is far more effective than the prevailing attitudes toward it indicate. I once shot through the door of an old 50's junk car to see what would happen. It went right through both sides.....and, some of you will remember how thick the metal is on that vintage of automobiles were!

.....Anyway, here it is. It's as good as a 25acp gets!

hog

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
We just passed our CCW law here in Kansas so I have till Jan 1, 2007 to make up my mind of what I should or will carry. I have a Colt Junior that weighs 11oz in 25cal. A Sig P230 .380 that weighs 17oz and a German Makarov 9mm Mak that weighs 27oz.

The 25.cal could be used with the Glazer rounds, but I don't know how effective they are.
The 380 could be used with Glazer or Cor Bon hollow points both are very effective rounds.
The 9mm Makarov needs round ball ammo as with hollow points it tends not to feed sometime. But Cor Bon has this new Pow'R Ball round that should allow it to feed. But it is awful heavy and big for summertime conceal.
I just don't know the 25 is awfully easy to conceal. Trying to make up my mind in Kansas.

fknipfer

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
hogship said:
I have a Seecamp in 25acp. I really like this little gun, but I probably wouldn't buy one these days. The same frame is available in 32acp, and that's a better choice.

I do feel the 25acp has had a bad rap, though. It is far more effective than the prevailing attitudes toward it indicate. I once shot through the door of an old 50's junk car to see what would happen. It went right through both sides.....and, some of you will remember how thick the metal is on that vintage of automobiles were!

.....Anyway, here it is. It's as good as a 25acp gets!

hog

Welcome back did send you mail wondering where you were hiding :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you were wondering about glasers, they are supposed to be good rounds, power and no oveerpenetration.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Back in my younger days, I was at a bar one night, when some drunk decided the time was right to show off his cheap .25. Long story short, he managed to discharge it. The round traveled about 7' and hit a metal cover for a light switch. It put a dent in it and ended up laying on the bar. I formed the opinion that it would probably just make somebody mad if shot with one.

jar

·
Registered
204 Posts
As a retired Police officer I saw a number of shootings during my career, several with .25's and .22's I would take the .22 over the .25 if I needed a defensive pistol and they were my only options, as I recall I think I was involved in the investigation of eight or ten homicides with a .22 and about five shootings with the .25 one of them was a fatality, one a man shot at about 25 feet six and hit five times only broke his wrist watch he thought that was the only hit but the ER dr pulled four more out of his belly fat later with tweezers. The one fatality was shot at 0 range muzzel touching base of neck bullet passed down through the body and bisected the heart was recovered intact in the spleen. .22's were all fatalities one from a measures 680 feet head shot with a 10-22. Yes if I had to choose between the two the .22 would be the one. The .22 has the option of being chambered in any number of inexpencive rifles also. And ammo is cheep and easy to come by.
BTW my personal defencive choice is a Glock .45 acp or a n SA 1911 clone

1 - 17 of 17 Posts