Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the market is starting to flood with styptic gauze packs/bandages. They sure look nice and convenient but they don't come cheap.

Styptic pencils can be had for as little as $1. How effective would they be on a larger wound? (Along the lines of 1.5" long and 1/4" deep.)

I have styptic powder, but it's for pets. Would it be acceptable to use in an emergency situation? (Combined with a cheap gauze pad.)

What are your thoughts concerning styptics and various size wounds? (I'm the kind of guy who will wrap tape around small cuts just so I don't have to stop working and deal with the cut later.)

I also saw styptic swabs (by Kutkit) that looked convenient and not too expensive. (About $3/12.)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi vegasguy, My grandmother introduced me to styptic pencils many years ago. Whenever I get a cut that won't stop bleeding I apply the styptic pencil or if needed a tournequet. I haven't seen the new packages yet. Marla

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Marla said:
Hi vegasguy, My grandmother introduced me to styptic pencils many years ago. Whenever I get a cut that won't stop bleeding I apply the styptic pencil or if needed a tournequet. I haven't seen the new packages yet. Marla
What Marla said...

My late Mom and Dad introduced me to styptic pencils many years ago too. I have not seen those new packages either.

Cate

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
vegasguy them things just sting in the wound. Probably usless get some of those band aids with flowers on em ;D
A young lady at construction supply store cut her hand with a pocket knife. She got some super glue and a co worker tacked her back together. Then so she wouldn't tear it open they taped a dowel to her hand so she wouldn't ripe it and she went back to mixing gallons of paint. I haven't seen how it healed up yet :)

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
me said:
vegasguy them things just sting in the wound. Probably usless get some of those band aids with flowers on em ;D
A young lady at construction supply store cut her hand with a pocket knife. She got some super glue and a co worker tacked her back together. Then so she wouldn't tear it open they taped a dowel to her hand so she wouldn't ripe it and she went back to mixing gallons of paint. I haven't seen how it healed up yet :)
Eewww, Did she really do this or are you kidding us?

Serious question here.

Thanks!

Cate

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Hi Catherine haven't talked at you for a while I think you have been very busy :)
No lie she did it. You got to know that would sting on open wound. Actually I believe some doctors have patched some faces with it. Less scaring. Had a friend filled a cavity with it lasted about 2 weeks :)
I don't know what to think about that.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi me when you said a friend filled a wound with it and lasted about two weeks. Do you mean the filler or your friend? ::)

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
he filled a tooth cavity took 2 weeks to desolve from acids in food and saliva I guess :)

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
me said:
Hi Catherine haven't talked at you for a while I think you have been very busy :)
No lie she did it. You got to know that would sting on open wound. Actually I believe some doctors have patched some faces with it. Less scaring. Had a friend filled a cavity with it lasted about 2 weeks :)
I don't know what to think about that.
Wow! I would not have done that - now way - no how.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I have been busy but we did get in some short shooting time today with a friend who rode over our way to shoot at our range. MM and he shot some special 45 ACP and our friend's 45 'Super' hand loads, some of MM's and my guns too. He had to drive all of the way back to the other side of the state. Later on, I got to pick up some things needed for the new house.

I shot my Marlin Golden 30A, my Steven's single shot and MM's old Colt Woodsman circa 1934.

Have a good Monday! Take care.

Cate

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Catherine,
I am with you about putting it on teeth. I figure tooth ache is like ear ache, you just cant touch the area of pain in the pursuit of relieving oneself from the pain. If it's an arm or leg or so, you can just rub it to get some, I suppose you could call it False Relief. But not with teeth and ears.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
I'm with you a cavity might hurt but you seal infection in it might get fierce you know :'(

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I hear ya mate.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
me said:
I'm with you a cavity might hurt but you seal infection in it might get fierce you know :'(
Yes, that is what I was thinking whether it was any kind of a wound on or IN any part of your body. You need to let some things just drain out and ooze out of your body. Pus, dirt, crappy stuff that caused your wound from the gitgo and even let some blood drain out of the wounded area while your wash, rinse, apply antiseptic, wrap, etc. your bad wound.

Catherine

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Super glue to seal a wound/stick the skin back together is an old trick. never done it, but wouldn't hesitate in an emergency. Same with a large deep wound - stuff a tampon in it and duct tape it shut. Dire emergency only - but beats bleeding to death... Docs have told me they will beat you when you get the the ER for this - they have to dig it out and it can and will start bleeding again - a lot. BUT... in an emergency far out in the boonies - it should stop the massive bleeding... And the ER is equipped to deal with the problem once you are there.

There is a new powder out, they are using it now in the military. One brand name is Celox. http://www.celoxmedical.com/

Been meaning to ask my doc about it. Looks like it would be good to have in a pack while hunting in case you gash yourself with a hunting knife or other calamity out the in the woods, far away from facilities.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
When out of other options, duct tape is a real answer, I've used it myself when I was cut bad enough to need stitches and could not stop the bleeding.

One other good plug to aide in the sealing a wound is a simple thing like flour, cornmeal, ect what ever to staunch the flow and patch it with the duct tape, rag or any other item handy. Lot of nasty wounds can be stopped by applying pressure and a sealant such as a grocery bag over the wound and holding it in place.

Styptic pencils are handy for small wounds but good old duct tape is a real life saver in a nasty situation.

Most geezers in my age group take a daily blood thinner and that duct tape becomes all that much more important when dealing with older folks.

Best bet all the way around is to have help when needed if your are alone I sure hope you have a the real deal straight from Red Green.

Bottom line duct tape was used when the military needed a good reliable battle dressing during WWII and it still works today.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
This might sound silly, I don't know but once when we had a group of us and our families out on a bush walk one of the ladies slipped and gashed her thigh very severely. So one of the other ladies who is an ambulance paramedic used a sanitary napkin with some tape to close and dress the wound. I asked where did she get the idea so quickly, she said she would not say why she had some in her backpack, but the napkins were designed to absorb larger amount of blood.
I now carry some in my first aid kit in my day pack.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Super glue is standard and accepted now for many cut type injuries. Used in some medical facilities. Taught in first aid classes. Not what you would use for a gaping wound but for a small slice it works fine. I used it on a carpet knife cut to my thigh once and it stung like crap but worked fine. Duct tape works too but will more than likely pull open when you take it off.

NGH

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
moofy07 said:
This might sound silly, I don't know but once when we had a group of us and our families out on a bush walk one of the ladies slipped and gashed her thigh very severely. So one of the other ladies who is an ambulance paramedic used a sanitary napkin with some tape to close and dress the wound. I asked where did she get the idea so quickly, she said she would not say why she had some in her backpack, but the napkins were designed to absorb larger amount of blood.
I now carry some in my first aid kit in my day pack.
Moof

The battle/first aid pouch/dressing we used to get issued was really nothing more than a very similar sanitary napkin! Same basic principle. Anything to staunch the blood flow and can be used to put pressure on the wound. Then wrap the tails around the wound - or duct tape it on!!!

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Big O,
Yeah, were had those in the military too, but I had not thought about it till I saw what was done with the sanitary knapkin, which i thought was clever.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
We bought two packages of sanitary napkins for our first aid supplies. A bandage that was close to a sanitary napkin style was a common thing to use in war time. I can't remember the 'exact history' of it but the person who invented them for war time bandages - invented them for women or vice versa! I guess that they did that for tampons too. You could use them for bullet wounds if you have nothing else to use.

I wrote about this on a survival board way back when and now I can't remember the exact deal aka history or who invented it all.

Catherine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts