Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range last night just to shoot. I wasn't there to test handloads or try out a new firearm. I didn't need to sight in a gun or a new optic. And I wasn't trying to shoot tiny groups off the bench, or break speed records on self defense drills. I was there simply to relax, shoot, and enjoy it.

The choice of which gun to take really was an easy one. The first handgun I bought as soon as I could legally do so was a Smith & Wesson Model 17-3, the K-22 Masterpiece. 32 years and dozens upon dozens of handguns later, it remains one of my absolute favorites.

This unassuming .22 revolver has accounted for untold hours of enjoyment target shooting, hunting, or just plinking. It's ventilated enough aluminum cans to side a house, and enough squirrels to provide gallons of Brunswick stew. It's the handgun I learned to shoot handguns with, and it's fine accuracy, superb trigger, and intoxicating appearance, I'm sure had a great influence on the path I've followed ever since.

Like last night, it's the handgun I reach for when I just want to relax, shoot for the pure joy of shooting, or refocus my technique when the harden-kicker louden-boomers begin to induce a bit of recoil anticipated flinch. Merely handling it brings back fond memories of days afield and times spent with good friends. Fact is, as much as an inanimate object can, I consider it a friend, one of my oldest and dearest.

So...enough about me. ::)

What was your first handgun? Do you still have it? Any stories it could tell?

Roe

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Barenjager said:

What was your first handgun? Do you still have it? Any stories it could tell?

Roe
Hi Sensei Roe, just to stay on topic for a little while, I bought my first handgun in May of 2010. Right after my home got robbed while we were in church a Sunday evening. The cops told me to get a firearm for self defense. It took just few second to agree on that, and best of all my wife also agreed inmediatly. After some research and decide to go for a revolver. My first choice was a Ruger SP 101 3 1/8" barrel, but wasn't available (still awaiting for "him" to show up ???). Then, I remembered our hunting authorities recommend to carry a handgun when hunting wild hog. So after a short extra research, I decided to get my S&W 686 6" barrel, which still sits on my nightstand most of the nights, until de Ruger comes home, and goes with me on hog hunting trips. Althouhg I think that job is taken now by my S&W 629-5 ;D. Any way, I like the 686 a lot, and so does my daughter Catalina. Probably I'll keep him for competition shooting for me or Catalina, and always around the house, just in case.

All right, a little detour now. Your 17-3 picture shows exactly the same grip of the older K-22 I found, remember?. Your grip also covers the S&W logo. Are they originals?

Take care

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Roe--

Stunning photo--excellent set up. My first handgun was purchased for me( 1967-- I wasn't 21 yet) while I was in college by the Head Resident of our floor. If I remember correctly I paid $68.00 for it brand new --it was a Herter's .22 shaped much like the old Rugers and it was made in Germany. Like you it saw an awful lot of use from everything like cans to rats at the dump, squirrels you name it. I even made my own set of walnut grips for it because the plastic grips that came on it were way to thin for my hands.

My very first S&W however was a pre-17 that I bought at a farm auction for $65.00 about 5 years ago. It's about 90% with normal wear--all numbers match, even the grips--and no--I had no idea what I bought when I first got it, however I knew and saw and felt the quality of the gun and had to have it--found S&W Forum and been hooked ever since. I do , like you, love shooting it and I never go the the range without it and my 39A. The two make for a great way to finish a day at the range.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kaweskar said:
All right, a little detour now. Your 17-3 picture shows exactly the same grip of the older K-22 I found, remember?. Your grip also covers the S&W logo. Are they originals?
Although the Target stocks on my 17 are factory grips and period correct, they are not what shipped with the gun. It originally came with the smaller "Service" stocks.

I had to go back and look at the pic you provided in that thread...those are definitely not factory S&W grips. I don't recognize the grips as being from a particular aftermarket maker, but if forced to guess, they may be Nill Grips.

ia1727 said:
My very first S&W however was a pre-17 that I bought...about 5 years ago.
Better late than never. ;)

Roe

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Here's mine.

This 629 was my very first center fire handgun. I had always been very partial to .44 caliber guns (my dad had his black powder .44, don't remember the manufacture) so I grew up with that caliber, and there was also a little bit of Dirty Harry in me. (Still is..lol) Anyways, I was 24 years old at the time and the almost $700 dollars for my pride and joy seemed like a big chunk of change for me too! ;D

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ruger New Model Blackhawk, 357 Magnum, First gun ever. Had it stolen in a break in, cops called and told me they recovered it in it's holster in the lap of a drug dealer. Had to fight to get it back from the cops. It came home and has been here since (20 years ago). However the one I take to have fun and blow off steam, Ruger Super Single Six. So fun to shoot and cheap ammo to boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Do we have to go back to the first handgun ever? I'd rather forget....

How about the handgun you got 2d? And still have?

My very accurate Combat Commander is still around. It was my 2d handgun- and I still have it and shoot it. I bought it when I was stationed at Ft Knox. There was a pretty good sized gun dealer in the area and he had this in his inventory. It was a good deal on a good gun, so I grabbed it. It has gone through plenty of changes since then- lots of parts swapped out. It was always very accurate, so it got some improvements.

As for the first gun I ever shot- its one of those Guns of our Father's... my Dad's 38 Police Positive-

I need to get this out and shoot it with my son- while I still can.

Good thread. Painful memories about that first gun, but still a good thread.

Thanks!

M

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
My first and only (thus the redundant photo, sorry) -- a Colt DS gifted to me by my father-in-law about a year and a half ago:

Recently, my father-in-law also offered to buy another handgun that he would keep in his safe just for me to shoot with him whenever I'm visiting. What a guy, right? Oh, I asked for a Sig 239 SAS 9mm. ;D

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
Barenjager & Maudite Your photographs are similar and your both are connaisseur of the fine handguns you two sure you all are not kinfolks ;D

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I don't have either of my first handguns.

The very first was a Ruger MKII 6" Standard. It got stolen.

The second was a Bryco .380...enough said.

Jon

·
Registered
586 Posts
S&W model 28. 31 years ago.

Nope, don't have it anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
First handgun was A Smith and Wesson Model 39 9mm. Looked perfect on the outside. Of coarse I did not break it down Just paid the man. It actualy shot fine but the frame was badly battered. (Last alloy frame for me ever)
Traded it shortly for A Colt Trooper .357.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
My first is my only one a SW99 wife bought a Taurus 82 made her sell it in a weeks time ::)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I got a call from someone tonight- who just got their first gun.

My sister is now the proud (I may be reading into this) owner of a Beretta 21a in .22LR caliber.

Her hubby bought it for her.

I told her she could always throw it at someone in a pinch.

She told me she could fit it in her pocket. I told her she could fit it in her mouth..... spit it out when she needs it. That was met with polite silence.

Sometimes I just go too far.

M

·
Registered
603 Posts
I got this after I returned from AFG earlier this year. Kimber Stainless II

Picked this Buckmark up for my wife a few months back and it's a TACK DRIVER!!

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
My first was a Colt Frontier Scout with dual cylinders in 22LR and 22 WMR. Fun to shoot, scary accurate, it had a really nice Eliasson rear sight with a white outline, and I fancied myself a gunslinger for awhile, after I got good at snap-shooting it. In 22 Magnum it was amazing, benched groups never exceeded two inches, and some were half that.

I bought and sold that gun three times, but eventually let it go because it took forever to load and unload, and I wanted to spend my time shooting.

My second gun was a S&W 686, and I became a dedicated double-action revolver guy because of it. 8)

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first was a Ruger SBH 357 convertible. It had a 9mm chamber with it. I sold it. That's OK. It prompted me to get a SBH 44 mag years later which I still love and shoot. the Single six had to follow for like revolver 22 practice and later the Smith-Thunder Ranch in 44 Special. I owe it all to the old convertible.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
After I got out of basic Army training in February 1987, I was stationed to Fort Carson, CO. Shortly thereafter, I went out and bought a Buckmark standard model from the Dave Cook store, downtown Colorado Springs... 17OCT87, for $170. I pumped thousands of rounds through that pistol, sometimes 1000rds in a weekend... (2 bricks! Winchester Super-X was .99 a box at Service Merchandise, .79 on sale!)

I still have that pistol today, although some of the parts have changed. I put a new barrel on it, and have changed some of the internal parts. It came with skinny black grips that I actually pulled off and gave to my mom, she bought a Buckmark target model and the target grips were too big for her smallish hands. I replaced them with more modern black rubber grips which you see in the photo.

It also remains one of the most accurate pistols I've ever shot, with the right ammo.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts