Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got set up for reloading for my Browning BAR in 30-06 and was wondering what bullets you guys have used on Whitetail and what is your favorite.

I want to work up a "Bang / Flop" drop em in their tracks load for my odd 6. I know there is no such thing as a "drop em in their tracks" every time load, but I want to get as close to it as I can.

The only bullet I've tried so far is the 180 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip which shoots very well in my gun. I managed to get one real tight group with the overall average at 1.16" @100 Yds.

I'd like to hear about bullets you've actually had experience shooting Whitetails with. How accurate are they, what weight, what velocity, how did they perfrom, etc.

Thanks

firstshot

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Nosler 150 grain partition at about 3,000 fps and the Hornady 165 grain boattail spire point at about 2,900 fps have always worked well in my '06s on whitetails and hogs. Both bullets have shown exceptional accuracy in four different rifles. All were bolt actions, a Browning and three Winchesters. For loading data, see the Nosler and Hornady handbooks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've done the majority of my deer hunting with a FN Browning 30/06,my favorite deer rifle. My favorite bullet for hunting is the 150gr Nosler partition. I like it because it gives rapid expansion and good penatration. On broadside shots it has always completely penatrated and 50% of the time deer have dropped on the spot. The others ran no more than 75yds. One buck I shot angling towards me-hit in the shoulder,breaking it and came to rest in the off-side ham under the hide. Range was about 200yds and he ran(limped) another 75. Another buck I shot at an angle was about 50yds.I pulled the shot high and hit the spine. The bullet took out 8" of spine and lodged in hide opposite side in the neck,shed front core.On previous deer bullet did not shed core. 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip-Shot a deer down in a canyon about 70 yds staight down hit him on top of back,bullet blew up spine and lungs,could not recover any significant fragments,but very dead deer. Shot a pronghorn with this load also,400yds hit him high in shoulder, coplete penatration and atelope dropped in tracks. 150gr Hornady Interlock-Have shot 2 deer with tis bullet, first was shot at 50yds through shoulder, broke both,tore up heart,deer ran 20yds,2nd was a doe at 75yds shot through lungs,dropped in her tracks.I have witnessed the shooting of 4 or 5 deer shot with the 150gr Remington COre-loct fact. load and it always got the job done. In my gun the 150gr Nos. BT always shot best about 1" and the partition about 1.5" same with Hornady 150. I load 150's in my gun because they group much better in my rifle, not because they're any better than heavier slugs. They start out faster than the 165's or 180's but at long range there's not much difference. I don't think you need premium bullets for deer in the '06, but if you're using a 300 mag it's a different story. My dad shot a buck once with his 300 at 80yds usin a 150gr Hornady in the shoulder. Deer dropped on spot. While gutting him we noticed the bullet never made it into the rib cage, it just vaporized in the shoulder. I'm not sure if the bullet impact Killed him or us cutting out his heart/lungs did him in! Anyways, good hunting!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Nosler Ballistic Tips in .270 130gr really do the trick. I'd think in an '06 and pushed to a decent speed would work the same. I shot a late season doe cull at 165yds that spun around and dropped in her tracks. There was a small .270 pinhole where it went in and NO EXIT. That was alot of energy expended into terminal ballistics. Sounded like a thump on a bass drum. Basically destroyed the inner vitals and ribcage on one side. Not much meat damaged. This was a good behind the shoulder shot.

My son shot a 5pt on his first opener with the same setup at 75yds. The entrance hole was bigger than the exit....both were huge. The "in" hole was golf-ball sized. The bullet instantly fragged, sent one piece up the ribs under the skin, 4 more pieces went through slicing the heart and exiting with a single hole that was marble sized. There was a big puddle of blood, fat and fur where it was hit, it ran about 50yds spraying blood like red spray paint.

If the deer doesnt drop immediately when hit behind the shoulder (minimal meat damaged) it wont go far. I think I'm staying with this bullet for my son.....I use a hot 45-70. For both setups I'm thinking the same as you....drop that sucker where it stands.

Perferator

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I have a 154 grain Hornady Interbond load for the 280 Remington Ackley Improved that achieves 2950 fps and .9" five-shot 100-yard groups in my Weatherby Mark V Lightweight Synthetic.

100 yard quartering away shot, complete pass through, dropped at the shot.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
I use 130 Noslers and 140 Bear Claws in my .270,The reason is Elk and Deer on the same hunt.Just about any even the so-called K-Mart bullets will work on Deer.I use Noslers in my .300 only but I may change that as I am really impressed with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw's performance on game especially Elk.

Best of luck.....Jayco.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice whitetail, Jack. I'm tempted to try the 154 gr. Hornady (Interlock or Interbond) in my 7x57. Muzzle velocity will likely run about 2700 fps but ranges are generally short to medium where I hunt. While the 139s and 140s are plenty for whitetails, some of our hogs get pretty large.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My favorite '06 load for deer is 59 grs. of RL-22 with a 180 gr. Speer spitzer. They drop so fast you don't even see them fall, and they don't bloodshot a lot of meat.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My favorite '06 load for deer is 59 grs. of RL-22 with a 180 gr. Speer spitzer. They drop so fast you don't even see them fall, and they don't bloodshot a lot of meat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My favorite load for my BAR 30-06 and Rem 700 is a Hornady 150 grain BTSP in front of 51 grains of RL-15 and a WLR primer. 57.5 grains of Accurate 2700 gives similar results. These loads work extremely well with bucks or does in Benton County. :D
Rich

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just picked up some Combined Technology 168 grn Ballistic Silver Tips and some Sierra 180 Grn Game Kings. Haven't got them loaded yet but will let you guys know how they do at the range.

firstshot

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have come to really like Nosler Partitions. In the 7X57, I use a 140 gr. NP over an appropriate dose of Reloder 19. In the 6.5X55, I use a 125 gr. NP over the same powder. Accurate, safe, and effective loads in my Winchester Model 70 Featherweights. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have come to really like Nosler Partitions. In the 7X57, I use a 140 gr. NP over an appropriate dose of Reloder 19. In the 6.5X55, I use a 125 gr. NP over the same powder. Accurate, safe, and effective loads in my Winchester Model 70 Featherweights. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I shoot a 7x57, a Ruger 77 MkII, and like the 140 gr. Nosler Partition, too. It was responsible for my last whitetail, a decent 8 point. I also like the 139 gr. Hornady Spirepoint. It's very accurate in the Ruger over 50.0 grains of IMR 4350, but I've yet to nail anything with it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rifleman said:
rifleman

Are both your 7X57 and your 6.5x55 winchester M70 featherweights?

I've got a 6.5x55 as well, but its a customized M98. Been hunting with it for several years now. Haven't started reloading for it yet. As for as I know, most of the reloading data for the 6.5x55 is for "modern" barrels and I'm a little concerned with how the mouser barrel will hold up.

firstshot

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rifleman said:
rifleman

I've got a 6.5x55 as well, but its a customized M98. Been hunting with it for several years now. Haven't started reloading for it yet. As for as I know, most of the reloading data for the 6.5x55 is for "modern" barrels and I'm a little concerned with how the mouser barrel will hold up.

firstshot

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rifleman

firstshot

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been using a Ruger #3 in 30-40 Krag, my favorite deer load is a 30-30 bullet of 170 grs @ about 2500fps. Wow, does this one knock them down. Under 150 yds this is a great deer load! You should be able to load this in that 30-06 , but I don't know how they would feed thru that BAR? :eek:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
reloaderman

I'm still going through the process of finding the bullet / powder combination that my BAR likes.

So far, I've been reloading Nosler 180Grn Ballistic Tips and Combined Technologies 165 Grn Ballistic Silver Tips using Hodgdon 4350 and IMR 4350. I've shot quite a few of the 180Grn BT's and a few of the 165Grn BST's. (still working up the 165 Grn load) Felt recoil is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be primarilly because the "auto" absorbs a lot of that recoil.

I've been shooting a 6.5x55 customized M98 for the past several years and wanted to move up to a heavier, more virsitle caliber. I specifically chose the BAR to help reduce that felt recoil, especially since I was used to the very mild recoil of the 6.5x55. Although the recoil with the 180 Grn loads is definitely heaver than the 6.5x55, it is much less than that of a 308 BLR lever action that I used to have.

I've also picked up some Sierra 180 Grn Game Kings but haven't even started loading them yet. Also picked up some IMR 4831 to through into the mix.

firstshot

1 - 20 of 33 Posts