Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To some of you this might seem like odd logic, but I've never reloaded for my 30-30s. I've focused on the many odd calibers I have that are hard to feed with factory loads. The cheap federal flat-point 30-30s shoot well for me and and HAD been easy to find. Now I'm ready to add the 30-30 to my bench. I'm looking for advice on your favorite bullet...I'm not interested in cast bullets or the leverevolution. I mostly use nosler, hornady and Speer for other purposes, but not stuck on any brand. So, what do you like?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
CG, My 336SS 30-30 loves the Sierra Pro-Hunter 150 grain Round Nose bullets. Most accurate load I've found for this rifle, which also has harvested the biggest buck I've ever shot (1 shot, DRT). Second choice is the Hornady 150 grain Interlock Round Nose bullets. Also accurate for hunting, but not quite as accurate as the Sierra bullets. Hope this helps you some!!

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
I can't hardly find them, and only use these to shoot a deer. But I am A fan of the Western/ Winchester sliver tip bullets. Have not shot one in 3 yrs, since ani't seen a buck in 3yrs. lol

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well I like the 160 Gr. FTX bullets " Number 1 reason , Is , It is a Flat" shootin bullet out of the 30~30 rifle . Number 2 reason , Is , it will extend the kill range out to 300 yds. If you do your part" , and know how to custom built your own ammo to Your" rifle , they'll stay inside 3 inches @ 300 yds. Work's well in my ole model 94 , and my ole Glenfield 30~30 rifle ...... Tip.... I use H~4895 powder [email protected] about 2100 ft. per. sec. Number 3 reason , Is , Bullet will mushroom and stay together on impact ! Tip 2... I seat the bullet 0.5 thousands off the rifling lands .

Magnum6

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Whatever 30-30 ammo is on sale in the 150 grain size. Usually either Remington corelokt or Winchester white box ammo.
I don't believe the standard old Winchester White Box ammo is all that good. It appears to drop a lot quicker than other ammo, like Federal. Right now I am shooting Paper at the Range so I can see the difference. I'll stick with Federal, when I can buy it.

I haven't tried Hornady in any of my 30-30's yet, but I do have two boxes of 325 for my Model 1895 45-70.

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My rifle is very happy with the Hornady 170 FP and 3031. But, Hornady has seen fit to suspend that particular bullet, and though I do have a decent inventory of them, I've decided to see how well the Nosler Partition works.

I haven't gotten around to working up a load, but I'm not betting on Hornady to be flooding the market soon with 170 FPs when Partitions are relatively easy to find.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I really like the 170 Speer Deep Curl, 170 Sierra and 170 Nosler. All of them do real well with Leverrevolution powder and CCIBR2's.

Reactions: cgcollins

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My 30/30 336 like the Hornady Inter-Loc round nose in 170gr. I reload with federal casings and 3130 IMR powder. Very accurate, well within a three inch circle at 100 yards. The Dear never knew what him it.

·
Banned
19,622 Posts
170 Sierra and IMR3031 always worked for me. Back when I started reloading,the Sierras were .307 diameter,because a lot of the old Win 94s had that groove diameter. Now they're .308,still an accurate and very effective bullet.

Rob

Reactions: cgcollins

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I haven't seen many choices available since the crunch. I have killed more game with the Remington 150 CorLokt than any other. I did see the speer 170 Hot Cor kill a big hog ( a rifle & load I gave a good friend) I am just now ( last week in fact) seeing 30-30 factory ammo in several brands on the shelves out here, most under $20 too. You might find some bulk Remington or Winchester bullets on Gunbroker or Ebay. I've seen some premium bullets ( Partitions, AFrames, Woodleighs) on some of the websites. You may have better luck finding factory ammo than components until things settle down, but won't hurt to keep looking, right? Good luck to you

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sierra 125 FP HP BLC#2 or W748
I would like to try that bullet if they ever start making powder and bullets again. I used 150 grain Winchester Power Max hollow points last season on a couple of deer and they worked really well. Unfortunately, they are not sold as component bullets. If they were I believe I'd buy a five gallon bucket of em. I have loaded a few Sierra 150 grain flat points with H4895 that I bought before the madness started. They shot okay. I think I will kill a deer with one this fall and see how they compare to the Power max.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I would like to try that bullet if they ever start making powder and bullets again. I used 150 grain Winchester Power Max hollow points last season on a couple of deer and they worked really well. Unfortunately, they are not sold as component bullets. If they were I believe I'd buy a five gallon bucket of em. I have loaded a few Sierra 150 grain flat points with H4895 that I bought before the madness started. They shot okay. I think I will kill a deer with one this fall and see how they compare to the Power max.
The current Super X 150gn HPs for 30-30 were pretty much what they sold when I first started hand loading back in 1972, but with a little thinner jacket.

They were devastating and I really liked them.

I had bought a 1000 of them from a sporting goods going out of business not knowing Winchester quit manufacturing them and sold a lot of them to friends in need.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.