Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have half a dozen or more of just empty brass examples that I have no chance at ever having a loaded example such as my .256 Newton. Do you guys collect brass only examples?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I have half a dozen or more of just empty brass examples that I have no chance at ever having a loaded example such as my .256 Newton. Do you guys collect brass only examples?
Yes, Thirty. But when a loaded round comes along, the empty gets set aside or passed along.
Nothing wrong with having an empty to fill a hole in the collection until the real thing shows up.
`57

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
I was not above finding an appropriate bullet and sticking in in the neck of an empty round to imitate a loaded round for the display. If the neck was loose sometimes I'd use a spacer, (like a fired round in a shorter caliber) to support the bullet and make it the proper length.

And as '57 said above, when the loaded round finally became available, I swapped the fake out and used it for trade bait, or gave it away. But since I love photographing headstamps, quite often that's all I ever did with the empties.

A few examples, because.......well, just because!

I've got a bunch of others, but those can wait for a rainy day........ :bandit:

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
I was not above finding an appropriate bullet and sticking in in the neck of an empty round to imitate a loaded round for the display. If the neck was loose sometimes I'd use a spacer, (like a fired round in a shorter caliber) to support the bullet and make it the proper length.

And as '57 said above, when the loaded round finally became available, I swapped the fake out and used it for trade bait, or gave it away. But since I love photographing headstamps, quite often that's all I ever did with the empties.

A few examples, because.......well, just because!

I've got a bunch of others, but those can wait for a rainy day........ :bandit:

Reactions: lever30

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
I have a few hundred cartridges in my hoarde, it's not a collection. I do keep odd ball brass but it's for reloading purposes if a gun ever comes my way. I do have dummy cartridges made up to cycle guns without worrying about a mishap while working on them. If I wanted to seat a bullet in a odd ball case it wouldn't be that hard. I have loaded odd balls with use of different sizing dies from several sets. It's a PIA but not that hard if you have a lot of die sets.

·
Registered
608 Posts
inspiration from the web, again_
cufflinks: I don't think anyone here has difficulty finding the raw material, according to their preferences...:)
tumblr_m7u2f6b94V1r10ux5o1_1280.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts