Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ok, I am going to assume that rifle is at home and in your rack. Please don't make us ask why, you buy it because it is a Marlin and will shoot just fine. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
What's the backstory?

If it's fire-damaged, I wouldn't pay more than $75 - maybe $100 - unless the stocks looked original (indicating that the fire didn't get hot enough, for long enough, to damage the receiver). In that case, it'd be well worth $150.

However, that receiver really looks like it was blood-damaged, to me. If so, there could also be some serious pitting and corrosion inside the action. So, it could turn into a parts rifle, if the internals are eaten up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the backstory?

If it's fire-damaged, I wouldn't pay more than $75 - maybe $100 - unless the stocks looked original (indicating that the fire didn't get hot enough, for long enough, to damage the receiver). In that case, it'd be well worth $150.

However, that receiver really looks like it was blood-damaged, to me. If so, there could also be some serious pitting and corrosion inside the action. So, it could turn into a parts rifle, if the internals are eaten up.
The seller is in the business of reclaiming old barn wood,says he found it in a barn.He cleaned it up and in doing so all the finish was removed,but says he shot the gun multiple times with no problem.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
Buy it :)

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Well on the bright side you don't have to worry about scratches. :flute:

Reactions: vrkar10

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Examine the bore and inside the action thoroughly and if it looks good then take a chance and buy it.After all what is $150 these days?

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Body grinder cleanup?

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
I would examine the bolt real closely (remove it). When I expand the pic (three clicks), I see what looks like a jagged crack in the bolt, but it may be crud or something. I would surely tear it down and look at everything before I fired it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.