Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California Tourist In Yellowstone, Hospitalized After Taking Selfie With Porcupine

As Yellowstone’s tourist season starts hyping up, so do the amount of incidents between less evolved people we call, “crazy” and wild North American wake up calls we call, ”wild animals”.

This season is starting off with a bang! Literally, Lee Banang of San Diego was touring the park when he came across what looked to be “a lovable giant ball of fur”. After noticing the slow nature of the strangely adorable creature, he asked his wife to take a photo of him hugging the sweet small yellow bear. Lee handed his iPad to his wife, approached the cute critter from behind, then proceeded to bear hug the cuddly fur baby. That’s when lee discovered the medium dog size ball of cute fur was indeed a giant sized North American porcupine. Lee’s wife describes what happened immediately following the hug, “Lee say take picture, I get good angle and he grabs spike bear from behind. He grabbed spike bear with such tenacity spike bear stick to him! Lee ran away with spike bear stuck to him, I catch up, grab spike bear feet and pull spike bear off! Lee feel pain of disgrace! He's almost done with surgery to remove spikes.” Lee had most of the spike bear spikes removed at the Ranger Station.

·
Premium Member
13,898 Posts
There's a reason they're named PORC U PINE. Looks like he got "porced" pretty good. His new nickname is Piney.

I'll bet he won't do that again...........

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Lucky the quills missed his eyes. If you read Jim Corbett you will see Porcupine quills were the cause of many a man-eating Tiger as they only work further in and do not dissolve over time. Leopards being smarter kill them by biting the head.

OK I can't resist this one, going to get me into trouble "I bet he felt a real prick" . Some people should not be allowed out without supervision. Gar.

·
Registered
379 Posts
No you can't. I have no sympathy for stupid people. I just read a story of a 72 year old lady getting gored in Yellow Stone by a bison. She wanted a close up photo, and got more than she bargained for. What are people thinking. That is why animals in the wild are called "Wild Animals". I have been hunting for many years, and even Bambi can put the hurt on you if it wanted too, especially if you invade it's space. These idiots are oblivious to the outdoors. they are the once a year crowd that wants to take pictures with Yogi Bear, and think wildlife are supposed to act like your typical house pet. Wow.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
One time back in 60s, first year for Ford Broncos we were spring bear in Ontario. We had a friend who was a Cree with us. He was taking us to a trout fishing spot in middle of the day. We were following a road on the edge of a river through a Forrest Fire burn. The low brush was so green it hurt your eyes with the burnt snags sticking up everywhere. Came up on a Cow moose with calf. My buddy slowed down and our friend decided we should mess with moose. Had us keep time behind them they werent spooked just kept trotting up the road.
Friend leaned out window and tried to grab the calf. It stubbled and went down over bank and cow followed it. In seconds the cow came back up over the bank and rammed into front fender. I think it lifted us off the ground. Moose turned and ran back over the back with the calf. It had put a nice big dent in the Bronc. Moral of story don’t mess with mama moose. The only time I have ever been worried about being hurt by an animal was a Bull Moose that I walked up on in a miserable rain storm. I started it and it did some tight back and forth before it decided which way it wanted to go. Lucky for it that it run away, I was fix’n to kill it with a canoe paddle.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
One time back in 60s, first year for Ford Broncos we were spring bear in Ontario. We had a friend who was a Cree with us. He was taking us to a trout fishing spot in middle of the day. We were following a road on the edge of a river through a Forrest Fire burn. The low brush was so green it hurt your eyes with the burnt snags sticking up everywhere. Came up on a Cow moose with calf. My buddy slowed down and our friend decided we should mess with moose. Had us keep time behind them they werent spooked just kept trotting up the road.
Friend leaned out window and tried to grab the calf. It stubbled and went down over bank and cow followed it. In seconds the cow came back up over the bank and rammed into front fender. I think it lifted us off the ground. Moose turned and ran back over the back with the calf. It had put a nice big dent in the Bronc. Moral of story don’t mess with mama moose. The only time I have ever been worried about being hurt by an animal was a Bull Moose that I walked up on in a miserable rain storm. I started it and it did some tight back and forth before it decided which way it wanted to go. Lucky for it that it run away, I was fix’n to kill it with a canoe paddle.
canoe paddle ,or moose ,my money is on the moose.:wavey:

·
Registered
13,419 Posts
That picture is photoshopped. The whole story sounds Goofy. I'm gonna take a lunch break and have a Brontoburger.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For a minute I thought the story was real. You got me for a couple minutes.:eek: The picture is real. The first time I looked at the picture I felt sorry for the boy going through all the pain and humiliation. Than I looked closer and noticed it did not look like he was in a hospital room. So I dug deeper for a couple minutes.

Was a good one. ^-^

But, here is the truth. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/porcupine-selfie/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts