Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this message - DUH !!!!

What the HEL_ differnece does it make how many posts you edit in any given time period. This has got to be one of the most dumb but_ programming limitations in my 40 years of being in and working in the computer and IT world. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!

So if you have originated several threads and are active in several others you are not allowed to go in and make needed changes to your posts. That's nuts. For us "guys of limited intelligence" that make mistakes this isn't a good thing ...

The only reason I could see for this is that if your program is so weak that you have to have someone sit and manually survey posts that are being edited and having to manually allow or review each individual change -- we all know that ain't happening ...

This needs to be changed ... put one of the site's programmers in charge of the advertisements on to fixing this behemoth short sighted lame implementation of somebody's (stolen line here from a movie) "unilateral wet dream" of "features".

·
Registered
29,129 Posts
The masters of the universe has taken over!!!
Do As I Say!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This came up BECAUSE ... I was trying to insert some pictures into a post.

For SOME REASON this new site vehicle we have ( which seems to have only 3 wheels working at an attempted 4 wheeled product ) would not let me insert the pictures the way I normally do. It kept inserting the pictures as thumbnails when I was putting them in as full pictures.

I would insert the picture the same way I have since the site change. It wouldn't take it that way and would enter it as a thumbnail. Have had this happen a couple of times before on one picture or two but never thought to much about it. But this time it was 5 or 6 pictures total I had to go in after PREVIEWING the post attempt and delete the thumbnail and reinsert a picture.

So now because of a glitch in the way the "NEW and Nonimproved" site handles picture posting I had to use up most of my so graciously allowed edits dealing with their programming problems and am denied the right to "edit" my posts.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I seen something similar on a different site. I was trying to edit a several months old post and received some type of messages about editing to many posts. I figured that it had something to do with storage. Some backups are compressed and stored off-line and may not be available for immediate editing, which saves on hardware cost and cost of usage. Since the site is not critical, editing old files may not seem important.

·
Administrator
886 Posts
Please see the following within the FAQs.

Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the timestamp. Select “Edit”.

Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

- Cricket

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please see the following within the FAQs.

Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the timestamp. Select “Edit”.

Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

- Cricket
Thank you for the information ...

But the limitations still make no sense and serve no purpose ...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I seen something similar on a different site. I was trying to edit a several months old post and received some type of messages about editing to many posts. I figured that it had something to do with storage. Some backups are compressed and stored off-line and may not be available for immediate editing, which saves on hardware cost and cost of usage. Since the site is not critical, editing old files may not seem important.
it should read "editing too many posts". please edit! :LOL:

Reactions: GFK and cajun56

·
Registered
912 Posts
it should read "editing too many posts". please edit! :LOL:
This is true. Thank you for improving my mind.;) Why can't American English be simpler? I remember being in England and phone was actually spelled fone. Oh well, it is what it is.

·
Registered
542 Posts
naw, it was a joke!! it wasn't even aimed at you!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I figure that it was a joke, and a good one. When I seen Sergeant, I figured the saying "thanks for improving my mind and body" would fit. It's one of those things that seemed to stick from basic training.

·
Registered
542 Posts
when i was a still active, all i got from the OGs was yes sir and no sir, and "do i have to? why?" from the millenials

Reactions: GFK
1 - 14 of 14 Posts