Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been here to long and already you all have caused a new addiction. I'm hooked on old Marlins!! I got the 1893, .38-55 last year and fell in love with it. The I picked up a Savage 99 take down in .303. Been lusting for a Savage since the late 60's.
So I'm coming home from the golf course and I decide to stop at a pawn shop I haven't visited in a while. They usually don't have much of interest but I was going by anyhow. Not much in the rack but I see and old lever gun. I ask "What's the old Winchester??" He said it was a Marlin .32-20. 1894 I ask, and he says it's an 1892. That sounds a little weird 'cause I didn't think Marlin made an 1892 in .32-20. I was sweating things a little bit in 'cause my initial research found an 1892 Marlin in .32 rimfire, but the serial number dated it at 1890. Unfortunately, the gun had been re-blued and most of the lettering was buffed off. All I could see was a 32 on top of the barrel. For 500 bucks I took a chance. Of course it's an 1889, and I had some .32-20 at home, and it feeds and chambers nicely. I'm in the process of scrubbing the bore with Kroil and I'll have to see how it shoots. The bore looks a little rough, so I wouldn't be surprised if I need a re-line.

Now, the quest is on for a .38-40!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wow... this must be the month for new old gun finds. Very nice!

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice Al!! I think ya got a winner there, with a fun caliber too!:congrats:

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Big Al1 - I'm at that stage in my life that I would rather say, "I can't believe I bought this thing", than later say, "I sure wish I had of bought that rifle". Some people say money can't buy you happiness, but I find it can make your discomfort more tolerable.
Still on the lookout for a long, octagon barrel 32-40, not because I need it, just because I want one. Shenandoah

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
For those of us that are still chasing JM stamped Marlins, I can appreciate Big Al1's sentiments. There are those of us that have also reached that stage in life and when a JM stamped Marlin comes along in the "right" conditon for the price, we pounce. I don't know if/when the JM stampled Marlins will be absorbed by various collectors and shooters, but when opportunity arrives, we have to be ready with $Ca$h$.

I hope to get some range time this week to try out some of the booty.

Mike T.

Reactions: Shenandoah

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Very nice. I do have a couple that I still wonder why I bought them, but that one you got there would not be on my list.
When I wonder why I bought a certain few, I just take them out of the gun safe caress each one and then I know exactly why.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
That is a handsome old rifle! Definitely worth cleaning up and even relining! Congrats on that find! Definitely give us a range report when you git it out to shoot!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey Big AL,

Fine looking 32-20!

See how it shoots, before the re line job. (sometimes "crappy" bores shoot surprisingly well)

Later, Mark
Hopefully, I've got some ammo on the way, found an online source. I had about twenty rounds in my stash, but I found them in an abandoned cabin about forty years ago, so I don't know if they will even fire, or if I should try to shoot them. Who knows how long they were there before I found them??!! Other wise, my BIL in Wisconsin has ammo, and it's easier to find up there, not much call for it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Seems like that bolt in the stock is part of the history of some of these fine rifles. This is my 1893 .32-40 made in 1906.
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Revolver

·
Registered
837 Posts
Good morning
Nice rifle ! should be a joy to learn how to load for it and what it will do.
Have no regrets buying anything of quality value years ago. I have had the enjoyment of that article and as the body wears out I will be able to sell it and enjoy the profit of the investment.
The major thing with a nice old rifle is not to abuse it . Always remember when it was made and the power factor it was made for. That is why the statement "get a bigger gun" existed. It the caliber .32 would not do get the caliber .38 or the .45 out to get the job done right.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Hey, I'm not a guy, but I've done my share of enabling on this forum. Guilty as charged. :)

Speaking of 32-20s, I finally found one, yesterday, at a pawn shop, too, though mine is the 1894 Classic model made 1989 though 1984. Can't wait to get out and shoot it and let the fun begin. Be looking for a 25-20, next. It never ends.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Shenandoah,

This may sound like MO heresy, but in truth unless we use them to put meat on the table or defend our home, do we really NEED our guns:questionmark:
Thankfully WANTING is a plenty good enough reason for me! :biggrin:

John

Reactions: Shenandoah

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Congrats what a beaut.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hey, I'm not a guy, but I've done my share of enabling on this forum. Guilty as charged. :)

Speaking of 32-20s, I finally found one, yesterday, at a pawn shop, too, though mine is the 1894 Classic model made 1989 though 1984. Can't wait to get out and shoot it and let the fun begin. Be looking for a 25-20, next. It never ends.

Go for it girl!

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
good lookin' rifle

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.