Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it's a dummy round, a display case, or a rimfire..........did they ever make 45/70's in rimfire? I'm betting it's just a dummy/test round. Looks like a Remington 350-grain HP in there. Shaking tells me there's no powder inside, unless it's black powder, and compressed. But I don't think so. 70 grains of BP is only 1/100th of a pound, but it seems too light to have powder in it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I've read about some old 45-70 rounds with Benet "inside primers"...they look like rimfire, but there is a primer under that brass, maybe.

Never seen one...only read it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They tend to look like this, with an annular ring crimped in to hold the priming compound in place. Not the same.

This one, by the way, has NO headstamp.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
papajohn said:
They tend to look like this, with an annular ring crimped in to hold the priming compound in place. Not the same.

This one, by the way, has NO headstamp.
Ahh...OK.

I've learned something today :D, now I know what they look like. :)

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Nice piece of history. 8)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
PJ,
I think that you are right in the fact the round is a test (dummy) round only. No powder and a late design bullet with the half copper jacket. Also, the case seems to be laquered that familiar dark brownish color which is found on many dummy test rounds of even modern cartridges. I have several Belted mag dummies with that familiar brownish laquer finish with empty primer pocket of an odd size that wont accept a standard primer.
`57

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was wondering if there was a 45/70 rimfire also.

Chamber it and drop the hammer, you'll find out :eek:

Here is some other dummy shells in my collection.

The infamous 45/70 rimfire / 375 H&H Mag w/ hole thru primer / 30/06 SPRG w/ solid primer hole / 243 Win w/ solid primer hole and full boxes of 22 shorts

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, fellas.

Shepp, the round I have looks exactly like the 45/70 you show. They could be from the same box.

shepp said:
I was wondering if there was a 45/70 rimfire also.

Chamber it and drop the hammer, you'll find out :eek:
If you have a rimfire 45/70 rifle, feel free to try it and let me know how it goes, wouldja? 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts