Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... Just bought a sbl marlin 45-70 and my question (s) are ; with all the factory bullets you can buy, will the gun like them all? I have bought hornady, Remington, fussion, and some " bear load" bullets. Can I expect them all to work well?
I haven't shot it yet, took it to a gun smith had the wwg trigger & extractor installed, had it smoothed and polished can't wait to get to the range.

Now question #2; I also am beginning to reload my own ammo, went to a reloading class and think this is going to be a blast.
I bought 500 405 grain lead bullets from Penn bullets, there is no gas check on them but they do have a wax ring. Are lead bullets a problem with the marlin? I'm told it was a mistake to buy them and should stick with a jacketed bullet or at least one with a gas check. To keep from fouling up the barrel, what's the feeling about this bullet choice

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure what your definition of "like" is, but my 1895g has shot everything I have fed through it plenty well enough for my purposes.

As long as you don't hot rod those cast bullets, they should be fine. The main bullets I load for mine are 350gr lasercast flatnose that I bought a huge box of a few years ago, and a 405 gr hollow base that I cast myself. I've never had any problems with leading, but I don't load them heavy, usually around the top end of the trapdoor load range.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You can expect your Marlin 1895 45-70 to handle all commercially available cartridges without fault. They will however, hit the target differently - but I suppose you knew that. Have fun reloading. Your 405 grainers should be fine, just reserve your more powerful loads for hard cast with gas checks. Sizing is important also, and you'll find many different diameters out there. As you gain experience, you'll learn to look up recommended loads for a particular bullet - cast or jacketed - BEFORE you buy!

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners Gary. You've already received some good input from Tom T. and Trekker111 and there isn't much I could add to that. Glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome to marlinowners, Gary. I have always shot both jacketed and cast in the 45-70's I've owned. As others have said, just don't drive those cast too fast and you won't need the gas check.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Gary, welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. I see you have two new addictions, Marlins and reloading, you could do worse. Enjoy yourself here, lots of folks with Marlin Smarts. Take care, John.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Welcome to MO from South Carolina!
The ammo will all shoot, and your rifle may or may not like one over the other. That said if you are going to start reloading, you will be able to fine tune your rounds to your rifle....but in the meantime a couple of things you can do is:
1) shoot the ammo that you have, see how your rifle handle each....and your shoulder...
2) slug your barrel to determine the best diameter bullet your rifle will need
Shoot the rifle more! I have an SBL and it is a great shooter!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Gary, WELCOME!

Given that each rifle is a rule unto itself, your question about all ammo or bullets shooting well in your gun can only be known through testing in your rifle.

Then, as to cast bullets, for anyone to give a blanket statement that cast bullets will not shoot well in your rifle is just showing their ignorance on the subject.

Again only through testing can you answer that question.

Probably the single most important thing in using cast bullets is bullet to bore fit. Of course barrel quality is important along with lube and alloy, but without good and proper bullet to bore fit, the other requirements can't make up for the lack of fit.

You may or may not have an accuracy problem if shooting cast bullets in a bore fouled with copper. Many say this is true.

Considering I began my 45/70 journey with the intention of hunting/shooting only with my own cast bullets I have never needed to worry about that issue.

I'd suggest using a cast bullet of OVER 400gr with the Wide Flat Nose (WFN) profile at a velocity of 14 - 1500 - 1700fps.

If you will spend some time reading on this forum, the Beartooth Bullets forum and the Cast Boolits Forum, you will find many threads about the use of the WFN cast and how effective they are. BELIEVE IT!

I am using a cast WFN bullet, gas checked, of about 465gr at a velocity of about 1650fps and it is very deadly on deer and elk. Everything I've read about the effectiveness of that bullet profile is true on spades!

I tested a bunch of 355gr WFN at velocities up to a bit over 2500fps and the "leading" in my barrel was so light as to never be an issue!

Even hunted one season with that bullet at about 2300fps and not only did it not give the accuracy and consistency I desired, but was devastating. WAY OVER KILL at that velocity, HUGE hole!!!!!!

I size my current 465gr bullet at .460 but the 355gr were sized at .459. Very likely .460 would do well for you, but only slugging your bore will answer that question.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Welcome Gary, you have a lot of adventures and enjoyment ahead of you, be sure to be safe and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
266 Posts
All I have ever used in my 45-70 are cast bullets from Laser-Cast (Oregon Trails), sized at 0.459". I experience no leading, other than a slight stain like you would get with jacketed bullets, when loaded to about 1600 fps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts