Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m considering a 336 I ran into it’s in 30-30 in nice shape wood nice with a few handling marks bluing is in nice shape slight wear on the edges, nice bore, action is smooth as glass, trigger release is around 5 pounds but no creep and breaks like glass.
the serial is on the top of the tang and the first two digits are 69 followed by 6 numbers made in1969?
the stock has a medallion that is about the size of a nickel that has the marlin horse and rider with 1970 under it.
So what am I looking at a commemorative? Someone just stuck the medallion in later? Is it just a run of the mill 336?? Any info would be great! The asking price is around 400
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
The receiver was manufactured in 1969 with the whole rifle probably being assembled for it to be a commemorative, as stated in the previous post.
As stated, it would be a great rifle at $400.
It is a “run of the mill” 336, that just happens to have a medallion implanted in the stock.
Andrew

·
Registered
148 Posts
Beenthere409, could that be why it’s made in 1969 but has the medallion ? Bubba just bought a new rifle and then this “special edition” came out in 1970 and he self installed the medallion? is there some way to tell if it’s factory or bubba installed?
Not really, if they followed the instructions. And it really doesn't matter, as it adds nothing to collector value.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not only did they make a good number of the rifles with the medallions mounted in the stock, but they also sold the medals and instructions on how to install them so Bubba could get in on the fun, too. No added collector value to them. $400 is a good price these days, assuming it is not a rust bucket.
Actually, even if its a rust bucket, 400 seems like an acceptable price... these days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts