Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally don’t buy new models or stainless steel guns but in a moment of weakness bought this 629 and scope / accessories. I really didn’t backslide I was at sale over weekend and ended up down two 1911s and two S&Ws. Made me feel naked, besides my old lady is away on vacation. Was selling a few guns off for funds in case I could send her some to stay longer.
Anyway got everything as package, good trade bait for a old 29-2.
3F23E756-A150-40A6-9AF7-E0CADFF192F5.png

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Good Score!

Reactions: M700

·
Super Moderator
33,728 Posts
I have the 6.5 inch barrel with out that darn locking hammer!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like a 6”. I have a 5”. I would be interested as to why S&W made two versions 1” apart. What mattered so much to make the two different barrel lengths?

BTW, good buy. I really like mine. Bought a 5” years ago, sold it and bought another 5”. I think they shoot great and feel great in the hands.

·
Registered
14,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve often wondered why S&W didn’t make a 5” tapered barrel, adj sight model across the board on all N frame calibers. I’ve had several 5” M27s. They feel good but don’t really have anything to compare them to. If you take a M24 or M27 and compare to M29 or M25, they feel better balanced to me. No doubt the heavy barrels make better target guns. Not so much in woods for random shots at moving targets.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am thinking of getting a 5" S&W 629. That under lug looks good, should add weight to reduce recoil. I am mainly a 45 Colt and 357 Magnum shooter. But am thinking I need a 44 and could reload my own custom loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts