Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a reprint of the 1888-1889 Great Western Gun Works catalog in the '66 Gun Digest... some of the stuff in here is priced to make grown men cry.....

-Ballard N0. 4 Perfection in32-40, 38-55, 40-63 calibers, 30 inch octagon bbl with rocky mtn sights- $13.00 !

-Ballard NO. 5 Pacific- from 38-55 up to 45-100 (everlasting) calibers, 32 inch octagon barrels $17.50- $18.50.....

38-55 Cal Marlin lever action rifle ( no model # given ) , 24 inch octagon bbl, double set triggers- 18.00 !!! :shock:

Extras for Marlin guns....

Full nickle plating- $4.00

Nickle plate trim- $2.50

Gold plate trim- $8.00

Selected Walnut Stock and Forearm, finely checked (checkered)- $8.00

Case Hardened Receiver- $1.00

Swivel and Sling Strap- $1.50

Pistol Grip Stock, select walnut and finely checked- $12.00

Engraving from- $5.00 and up....

L.C. Smith doubles from $160.00 for standard grade to $240.00 for Quality Grade NO.6- all with Damascus barrels....

I won't even start on the quoted prices for 1873 Winchesters- $14.75

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
old prices

It's always fun to buy some old magazines at gun shows and look at the prices 'back in the day'. Problem was, I was a lot broker then than I am now! :cry: It was a struggle to keep my Marlin bolt-action 20 ga and sporterized Peruvian 7mm Mauser in ammo AND have a few bucks left over to take my sweetie out! ... So what are you doing up so late? My excuse is that I just got home from work hauling coal. SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nudder night shifter, :p - A/C and Heating "expert" :?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
What would you give for a time machine! :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think that's about what I paid for all of mine. :lol:

NOT!!!

Now think about this, if you went back in a time machine, would your money revert to 19th century values? And then you still couldn't buy all of those Ballards.

max

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Doc

Interesting info on the pricing. By the way the lever action 38-55 would be the Model 1881 small frame. Parley

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I found interesting here is the "Extras for Marlin Guns". I'm assuming that these extras were offered by Marlin... there is another section that deals with custom stock sizing for Marlin rifles- cut down and lengthen L.O.P. are both $2.50. It goes on about choice of shot gun or rifle butt on choice of grip style and to write for quotes- all very interesting to me. At least this shows the wide possibilities of configurations in Marlin rifles- just about any extra the customer wanted was available for a price....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think the reason Marlin was willing to go the extra mile with the all the extras was because at that time the small arms market was so competitive.
Anything they could do to get your business away from any of the other manufacturers was necessary. Enhancing their firearms in this way was certainly one way to do it.
We have to remember that in those times, a vast part of North America was still unsettled, and a firearm was a very necessary tool. Almost like a cell phone or a computer is a tool in todays society. Could you imagine trying to function in todays world without either ? Nearly impossible. Literally everyone needed a firearm for one reason or another. So the market was tough. Marlin did what they could to get the customers business.
Boy, am I glad they did. It sure makes collecting these old guns fun !
Enough rambling........
WB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Parley.....
I was wondering if there was enough info to id that gun. I was reaching for "The Book" when your post came up! Small frame due to caliber? I haven't looked yet. I'll do it later when it's quiet!
Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
201 Posts
Doc

I didn't think they had air conditioners in Canada??? I have heard to get a car with an air conditioner, it was a special order. Anything to that?

DG :lol: :lol:
Doc Sharptail said:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smoke810 said:
Doc

I didn't think they had air conditioners in Canada??? I have heard to get a car with an air conditioner, it was a special order. Anything to that?

DG :lol: :lol:
Doc Sharptail said:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
LOL Smoke! The last lease I had, I drove for 3 years- the A/C in it added a $200.00 tax to the price of the vehicle. Think in all that time I actually turned on the A/C 3 times.... ':roll:'

We have to use the chilled water loop at work 7 months out of the year- steel frame buildings sure hold a lot of heat.....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
JackZ,
You're on the right track! The 1881 in calibers .38-55 and .32-40 was made on a smaller scaled frame than those in .45-70 or .40-60M.
Both versions shared very few parts interchangeabilty. Other than similar looks, as in the 1894 and 1893 Marlins, but unlike these later models, even wood was different on the 1881's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts