Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Went by a pawn shop yesterday not expecting to see anything at all of interest but a bullseye caught my eye...

T serial (1960?), golden trigger, pistol grip (smooth wood style no cap), rail on receiver with two screws (rail overhangs receiver ~1 cm), front sight is gold bead, rear is leaf style, crown has no nicks, all parts seem to be there

Bluing: ~80ish% (I'm not a good judge)
Wood: quite a few dings but not sure if it would be designated "beater" (honestly all of my rifles are really nice cosmetically so this one seems hurtin' in comparison)

Action is smooth, lever locks up tight

I've been holding out for a 1953 but I never see these at local shops and am tempted...

Tag says $375 (which I cannot justify), should I even entertain the idea if I can get it for less?

What else to check if I go back and she's still there? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Unless it has a completely shot out bore. Unlikely. Or the bore is rusted or something. I think it is getting tough to find any 39a in decent useable condition for less than 400.00. If it is 100% there and functional, does not seem too unfair at all..

I paid 400 at a Garage sale for a nice 53 about 4 years ago. I considered that a steal. For a 1960 or so model I do not think 375.00 is too bad. Nothing says you cannot offer less either.

Pics would be very helpful of course too. But maybe not possible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless it has a completely shot out bore. Unlikely. Or the bore is rusted or something. I think it is getting tough to find any 39a in decent useable condition for less than 400.00. If it is 100% there and functional make a difference of course also.

I paid 400 at a Garage sale for a nice 53 about 4 years ago. I considered that a steal. For a 1960 or so model I do not think 375.00 is too bad. Nothing says you cannot offer less either.

Pics would be very helpful of course too. But maybe not possible.
Sadly didn't take pics, too late now, if I go back I just need to make an offer (if it's still there), pretty certain they will freak out if I take it apart, is it possible to see anything with quick check of the bore as is?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Any working 39 is a Yay if the price is commensurate with condition. $375 does not seem like a bad price but I would do some negotiating none the less.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I have a 1953 (K, my birth year) and paid $465 for it. I would put it at an honest 85-90 percent. That isn't a bad price if the bore is bright. Invest in a bore light and check it out. That's the cheapest price I've heard of for a 39A in any condition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello to all,

Went by a pawn shop yesterday not expecting to see anything at all of interest but a bullseye caught my eye...

T serial (1960?), golden trigger, pistol grip (smooth wood style no cap), rail on receiver with two screws (rail overhangs receiver ~1 cm), front sight is gold bead, rear is leaf style, crown has no nicks, all parts seem to be there

Bluing: ~80ish% (I'm not a good judge)
Wood: quite a few dings but not sure if it would be designated "beater" (honestly all of my rifles are really nice cosmetically so this one seems hurtin' in comparison)

Action is smooth, lever locks up tight

I've been holding out for a 1953 but I never see these at local shops and am tempted...

Tag says $375 (which I cannot justify), should I even entertain the idea if I can get it for less?

What else to check if I go back and she's still there? Thoughts?
I'm guessing $375 isn't going to change your life one way or the other. If you want the gun buy it! Saving $25 - $50 bucks through negotiation is fine but that's not going to change your life either. In my experience, we regret the things we don't do more than regretting the things we do. But hey.............it's obviously your call.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
If I were looking for one?, I don't think that I'd think about it at that price for very long!?
The last one I picked up was a Century Limited, they had all used rimfires 10% off, made it $490 OTD, I had to think about it for almost a minute before I whipped out my wallet and said "lets do it!"

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
If I was to find that rifle at a local pawn shop around here, it would be at least $200 higher than $375, so YES, BUY IT! I would not have left it there, and I already have one.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
If I was to find that rifle at a local pawn shop around here, it would be at least $200 higher than $375, so YES, BUY IT! I would not have left it there, and I already have one.
Ya got two kinds of gun prices in my opinion. There's internet prices, and then theirs local prices. Internet prices, like on GB, have driven up prices in some of the local stores that also sell on the net. Then you have your local GS that has nothing to do with the web and sells at local prices. A 39 (or any other lever gun for that matter) does not go for much in NJ because NJ folks are more interested in pistols because 80% of our ranges are indoors. There's little interest. But, in big states with wide open spaces, cowboy and farming country, that's where lever guns of all kinds are more appealing. So, some local shops that are in the right zip code may actually put a price tag that's the same or higher than an internet price and get what they are asking. I guess the moral of this story is I'm glad I contracted Marlinitis in NJ because fantastic deals just fall in my lap. For instance, 1974 39D in 99% condition (it still has the American Walnut sticker on it) $250. 1974 336C in 95% condition $325, 1971 25N in almost 100% condition $125. I doubt those guns would have sold at those prices in the mid west. The 25N was listed for six weeks on a local gun forum before I decided to grab it. @ $125, I doubt it would have lasted six hours on a shelf in OR, KY or MO.

Reactions: Fynn

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went by the shop today, took a closer look, both swivels have been Bubba'd off, but she's not too bad overall. Owner wouldn't haggle at all on 375 plus tax and, since I have so many irons in the fire already at the moment and still haven't found my 1953 grail, I decided to pass on this one.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Take a bore lite with you and if that's OK, buy it. No bore lite, take a piece of white paper with you, rack open the action and look down the barrel with a corner of the paper in front of the bolt. Make sure the paper isn't up against the chamber, you want the room light or window light to brighten up the paper.

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts
Consider it will not FTF or FTE problems the newer ones have. It has a machined steel extractor, so failure to extract will not be from a bent paper clip as an extractor. It will non existent.

Buy it and make it pretty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.