Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Yard Sale Wheeler Screwdriver Kit

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  sulaco 
#1 ·
Went to a friends yard sale today to look at some reloading stuff he doesn't use and found this Wheeler Gunsmithing screwdriver set in the box of stuff. I was afraid he wasn't going to separate it from the other but he finally agreed and let me have for $25.00. Probably don't need but about 4 of the bits working on these Marlins but I'm sure I can find something else to screw up.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Good find! I have a set of those and they work great!

But be careful with them. The bits are hardened. They work fine for turning screws, but don't use them to pry, or the the blades may snap.

It hasn't happened to me, but I've read of folks who had it happen to them. Use them only for turning screws, as they were intended.

#4 ·
I got the small compact wheeler set from Amazon for $10.Works good for tightening loose screws at the range.Fits well in my gun bag.The bits break pretty easily.But,wheeler will replace them.

Reactions: Desparodo
#8 ·
I had accumulated Cabelas Gift cards for several years. My Bro was on me to cash them in before they might be lost in Bass Pro deal.
I don't like Cabelas and never deal there but Bro hauled me up their. The only decent price I could find on anything I needed was
powder so I stocked up. Had a few bucks excess and Bro found Wheeler set in Bargin area, missing a couple bits he got for $12.99.
I don't need any screw drivers but Wheeler bits are ok. I get mine from industrial supply. Dead give away on bits is the finish. If they
are chrome plated looking or satin silver they are probably soft and will twist out of slot in screw. Most good bits a black and the down
side on them is that they will snapp off. Either way you have a tore up screw head or worse. I have the Brownell Kit to regrind gun
screw drivers. I have snapped off the Brownell screw drivers many times. If I was starting out again I would have nothing but the
replaceable bit type. You can order the ones you need in dozens and throw away broken ones. I don't like big handles on gun screw
drivers, it lessens the "feel" you have on the torque you are applying.

#10 ·
There are deals to be had at yard/garage sales and there are plenty of them in my parts.

The only problem is come the weekend it's like attending an Antifa riot. You're lucky if you come away without getting trampled or get run over by someone's Lexus.

#11 ·
I have the Wheeler scope mounting torque driver kit and it seems very well made so far. Not Wiha, but good! I also like Brownell's driver and bit sets. I have one of those with all of the Marlin-specific bits. It's been great. Good buy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.