Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to buying my first Marlin and I'm torn between the 22vr and the 22tr. I really like the looks of the heavy barrel but, I like the versatility, and extra rounds the 22tr holds. Are there any advantages of one over the other? I'm planning on making it a budget squirrel/target gun with a Nikon 3-9X40 scope. I'm also interested in adding a wooden stock in the future do they make them for either one of these guns? That would be a major deciding factor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good questions. I mulled over the same for awhile , and just decided to take the leap. Since I already own a 10/22 I decided to try out tube fed. So picked up a XT22TSR for $275 at a local LGS. My only complaint is wood stock upgrades are hard to find. I don't really like the laminated thumbhole options and that is all I can find so far. So going to dress it up with a handmade leather buttstock cover to break up all that plastic look. Rifle shoots great , using all types 22S , 22L, and 22LR. For me the 22lr is better for repeatable accuracy , no surprise there. Its taken me awhile to figure out scope adj for the 3-9 mag steps - but that could be the fault of the cheapo Barska scope. All in all I am getting 1 inch patterns at both 100 and 200 feet now , so thats good enough for me for target and annoying varmint control.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Kevlar, I'm in the same boat you are except it's not my first Marlin. I decided on the xt22vr as I wanted a mag feed heavy barrel. Just made up my mind this morning
and have to call around to find one. Then comes the scope decision, what do you have in mind? Best of luck with your choice.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I bought the standard XT-22. If I did it again I would get the TSR. The sporter barrel is better for the hunting I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if i am a day late but here is my XT-22TR.

The stock is a factory 883 stock relieved for the pin with the springs around it. It is an easy fit.

As far as as bull barrel vs tube mag, the tube mag wins for me. The bull barrel might get you an advantage with bigger calibers but i dont see the advantage with 22LR.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
519 Posts
What is more important to you? Targets or squirrels? For squirrels, get the tube fed gun with the lighter barrel. For target shooting, get the heavier gun with the varmint barrel.

Why?

A sporter barrel is easier it carry in the field. The tube fed is more comfortable to carry and you won't need to reload it as much. Unless your mowing down squirrels by the dozen, a heavy barrel will be wasted. Squirrels are taken at shorter ranges than general varmints, maybe 15 to 20 yards.

A varmint barrel will be better for the range. You'll have less accuracy issues with the barrel heating up from sustained fire. The conventional mag makes the rifle easier to reload and spare mags make the process quicker. Range shooting will typically be 25 to 100 yards.

So, if you indeed the gun primarily for squirrels, get the TR. If you needs it primarily as a range gun, get the VR.

I own the XT 22 basic (no letters). It has a sporter barrel. The POI drifts significantly when the barrel heats up at the range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the xt vr cant say enough good about it go to the range every weekend with my 4 daughters older now but still like to shoot if you do your part 1/2 inch at 50 is no problem it wears an older weaver 15x scope and the girls are good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts