Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a long range rifle scope such as a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 but the problem i see is that the dovetail isnt really that long maybe just 3-4 inches. Does anybody make long range scopes that are shorter than the average long range scope.I just cant imagine a Longer rifle scope hanging on two rings in such a short distance to hold the whole scope up. I could imagine if you bump the scope just a tad bit you could knock it out of place? Thanks for any help Marlin Folks. ???

·
Registered
363 Posts
My first recomendation would be to ditch the idea of using dovetail mounts. Why cheap out when you've got a drilled and tapped set of holes to mount proper scope mounting bases on?

Definitions of "proper scope mounting bases" differ of course, but I've always had good results with domestic-made Weaver bases and rings, and that's what I am running on my XT-22. I have a 4-12X Bushnell on the rifle now, but I'll be swapping it for a clearer scope in the future -probably a Leupold of some kind, as I've always been satisfied with them, and the rifle's performance with the Wal-Mart sourced Sportsman series Bushnell that I am running leads me to believe that it deserves better glass than I've got on it now.

On the other hand, it is shooting so well I am almost afraid to change the current setup of my rifle.

T-C

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the Centerpoint 4-16X40 on my XT, and it has worked well so far. I started with the Wally's Bushy 4-12, but it was a little disappointing in the clarity, traded straight across for the Centerpoint and much happier. My only qualm with it is at 16X it needs a shade(none available), but up to there it's fine...

I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn 6-18X50 on my Savage BV, no issues with it at all-good budget scope...
Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Radar 1 said:
I have the Centerpoint 4-16X40 on my XT, and it has worked well so far. I started with the Wally's Bushy 4-12, but it was a little disappointing in the clarity, traded straight across for the Centerpoint and much happier. My only qualm with it is at 16X it needs a shade(none available), but up to there it's fine...

I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn 6-18X50 on my Savage BV, no issues with it at all-good budget scope...
Good luck in your quest!
Ditto on the Centerpoint :) Got one on my 25MN, and a smaller 3-9x32 on a Marlin 60.

Helpful Hint...get a DIP rail so you can use Quik-Change Weaver rings...better rings work WONDERS...
because the included rings kinda suck unless you take the time to Lap 'em.
DIP has a regular mount...
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=112011&CAT=3603

And a 25MOA mount for longer ranges...
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186950&CAT=3603

and its Laser Engraved with MARLIN...he'll also do other engravings for a slight fee :D

Also, as you've probably noticed, its LONGER, so you have more room to mount up your fav scope!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes, old pic. I have since replaced those rings with Weaver Grand Slam steel. I have a DIP rail on my Savage 93 .22WMR, very nice setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts