Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Long time lurker..

I bought a laminate XT22, my first firearm, as a birthday present for myself about 8 months ago. Until recently, I lived in a very rural part of the country and my friends and I were usually able to shoot steel plates and skeet 3-4 days a week. 12 gauge and .22 were plentiful and expended without care, even if it meant the grocery budget turned into the ammo budget. However, these days I'm mostly limited to 25 yard indoor shooting, and I've become increasingly interested in paper punching.

I've done some minor work on the stock such as getting the "footprint" of the action as even as possible, and taking down some of the barrel channel so that a dollar bill slides freely until ~2 inches in front of the chamber. I filed the leaf sight notch to be slightly wider and deeper, and painted the inside surface white. I've also taken apart the trigger group and polished all the contact surfaces with a very fine cutting compound and adjusted the pull all the way down. I've never shot a high-end firearm, but I think the trigger is pretty damn good now.

However, I think I've run out of free projects to do on the rifle.

Slight explanation of my post: I just had surgery on my leg to have some orthopedic hardware removed, and between staying up all night and not being able to leave the couch, I've done an inordinate amount of browsing on Brownell's and various gun forums. I'm not sure how I feel about shopping instead of working.:hmmmm:

I really want to throw some peep sights on my XT, and there are a few unresolved questions I still have.
Are aperture sights even worth it on an XT? My understanding is that the iris has to be relatively close to the shooter's eye for an appreciable gain in perceived depth of field, and the nature of the XT is such that any receiver mounted sights are pretty far forward.

I'm familiar with Tech Sights, a friend of mine has them on a 795. I found them to be very user friendly and accurate. They are also hugely appealing because they seem to be the only "drop-in" aperture sight package for the 925/XT-22. However, I really dislike the way they look on a bolt action plinker, I'd rather go for something that looks more traditional or target oriented.

The sight I'm most interested in is the Williams FP-AG-TK. This is the high profile version of the Williams Foolproof.

FP-AG-Tk Receiver Sight w/Target Knob fits Airgun : FOOLPROOF-TK RECEIVER SIGHTS | Brownells

I have had a hard time figuring out if this is a practical option for the XT. I have seen all kinds of conflicting statements about how well it works.

Some people claim that it works fine and that stock modification is only required with the low profile (FP-GR-TK) version of the sight. I found another post that says both the low and high profile models need more room, or the sight will have a severely limited elevation range. Another post claimed that the bolt knob will strike the windage adjustment knob on the sight.

Has anyone here mounted the high profile FP-AG-TK sight on an XT or any of its predecessors and encountered these problems?

I have dug through pages upon pages of google results for the search terms "williams" and "marlin" and have found nothing definitive on the subject. I have seen pictures, but they were not clear on whether the stock was carved or not. I'd rather not do any major cutting into the wood on my first firearm.

If the Foolproof isn't workable on the XT22, I could also pursue Williams WGRS 54 or Skinners.

I emailed Skinner about their recommendations for an XT22 peep, and I got a very prompt reply that the Ruger American sight would work. Based on the pictures, it sure doesn't seem that way, so I'll need to ask for more clarification. If anyone could chime in on that subject, I'd appreciate it. I do really like the Skinners, but for the same price as the Foolproof, I'd rather have the micrometer adjustments.

I'm not interested in the barrel mounted Skinner aperture. The ergonomics of the XT stock seem to be built around having a relatively high sight line, and I'd like to increase my sighting radius.

The WGRS 54 and a taller front sight seems like the most straightforward and established option, but also the least inspiring for tinkering.

Sorry for the long post, brevity has never been my strong point. I've done my best to research previous discussions and ask targeted questions.

Thanks in advance guys! It's cool to have such an awesome resource.

One more thing of course, the obligatory lame backdrop picture of a rimfire rifle.
Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
In response to the question posed in par 5, I have a cheap trick that you might not have thought of.
1) Punch a hole in a piece of light cardboard the same size as the hole in the peep that you are considering.
2) Hold it at the same distance from your eye, that it would be if it was a sight mounted on your receiver.
3) Look through the hole at your fore sight. You should be able to see a target in the distance, at the range you normally shoot at.

If this experiment makes the sight picture look better than usual, then you could consider a peep.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Aperture rear sights should be 2-4inches from the eye ( for apertures ~ 0.040inch). There is a formula, which escapes me, for eye relief vs aperture diameter.

You might find this article interesting http://www.biathlon.net/Aperture_Sight.pdf . Good luck on your recovery.

(btw I have poor eyesight, wear trifocals and greatly appreciate the peep on my 81-DL!!)

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Mike in..., thanks for posting the link to biathalon dot, looks like a good site for info!

Sullivan, neat trick! I've heard of it before but forgot all about it until you jarred my memory!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts