Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first gun this January and it is a Marlin XT-22 VR. I like it a lot, but there seems to be an unusual amount of FTE's so I have to pry the casing out with a knife. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they have found a solution. I don't get to go shooting that often so it is kind of hard to problem solve the issue. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Have you tried more than one kind of ammo?

Have you taken the bolt apart?

It sounds like a factory defect at first blush.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can usually remove the rare failed extraction with a finger nail. You're not shootiing Winchester ammo, are you?

·
Premium Member
15,369 Posts
don't forget to make sure the chamber is clean & dry

·
Premium Member
15,369 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners,
A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only used CCI Mini-Mag ammo so far, but I'm going to try some different types later. I took out the bolt and looked at the angles of the extractor and it looked normal. I tried putting a round in the extractor and then shook it a little to see if it was too loose, but the bullet stayed in. Also, I went shooting yesterday and tried rotating the bolt up slower. When I did this I didn't have any extraction problems.
Is it possible that that the casings are stuck in the chamber too tight from the wax coating on the bullet that has rubbed off, which would then in turn cause the extractor to slip off of the bullet when I'm rotating the bolt?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Minimags should fire with no problems. Wax coating or no, I have never had a problem shooting CCI from my XT-22. I occasionally have extraction problems with Remington Bulk ammo due to residue fouling in the chamber. In all of these cases, I can pry the case out with a fingernail.

Pull the bolt and clip a spent case in the extractor. Shake it vigorously trying to loose the case. If it come loose, the extractor is weak. Thus is easy to fix. If the extractor passed this test, the problem could be more sinister.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Try doing this the next time you shoot the XT.
After firing a round, take out the magazine before cycling the bolt and see if it extracts OK.
Sometimes an out of tolerance magazine will knock the spent round off of the extractors when you run the bolt back.
One of the new magazines that I bought for my 922M semi-auto did this. A couple of swipes with a half round file on the front edge of the magazine fixed it. Not sure if the XT magazines are similar in style to the 922M ones, but that is how I fixed it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Take a new, unfired round, and stick it into the breech. It should slip back out with no resistance. If it doesn't, start looking at the breech and chamber area with a magnifier for any signs of a dry fire peen mark, or any other kind of deformity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts