Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently bought an XT-22RZ, which is my first rimfire rifle and my first Marlin. I lovet this little guy, have him scoped with the DIP base and a Mueller APT scope. But... I'm not a fan of the stock, and the cheek weld is all wrong for me.

So, I've been looking around and I like the stocks that Boyds offers. However, their stocks require that I transfer my original trigger guard to the new stock. Unfortunately, my XT came with a synthetic stock, so the trigger guard is not removable.

My question to you all is, where can I find a trigger guard that would work with the Boyds stock? I called Marlin to try and get the trigger guard for the XT models that come with a wood stock, but they told me that they don't sell the guard seperately. I have no part numbers to search for either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Dieselnut and welcome to MO from one new guy to another :)
I was on the phone with the parts department at Marlin not too very long ago trying to cross reference part numbers for extra magazines. A lot of internet shooting suppliers offer 10 round nickel plated mags, I just wanted a couple more 7 round mags in black to match my XT22R, which is the same as your rifle, minus the bull-barrel (yes I'm a bit jealous.)
While they couldn't give me exact part numbers for the mags, it was decided by the people on their end that the bolt action XT Series' closest cousin was the Marlin 925, and that a good many of their bits are interchangeable. In fact, the mags that I ordered are technically from a 925. The obvious difference I can think of might be a different size trigger guard because the 925 lacks the Pro-Fire trigger, although I'm not sure if it would make a difference, to be honest.
What I'm getting at is this- maybe give Marlin a call, and be extra special super nice, with lots of Sirs & Ma'ams, and ask if they could perhaps check if the XT22 trigger guard has a similar trigger guard as on the 925 (aside from it not being plastic.)
If they can't tell you that, offer to send them homemade pie for a month if the could get their hands on one of each and visually tell you if they're the same piece. Maybe even drop a little hint about how this sort of customer service goes a long way towards repairing recent lackluster CS :flute:...

Lastly, if none of that works, ask some of the fine gentleman/ladies on this forum, or over on rimfirecentral, to take a look at their 925's and see if measurements are equivelant. Armed with that info, you may be able to find an aftermarket vendor who carries the part you need.

Sorry for the long post, and even sorrier if it's all for naught (if I'm waaaaay off the mark.)
Thanks for reading, and best of luck getting a nice metal guard on your new stock.

Regards,
-Sam

* I went pic hunting, and although I can't be sure of the hardware, the shape of the 2 guards are awful similiar....
925 trigger guard.jpg XT22RZ trigger Guard.jpg

...and I'm more jealous now that I see that the RZ comes threaded for a suppressor ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Afternoon Guys,

Numrich may have what you are looking for but I can't be sure so a call may be in order. For example, here are links to their site for a trigger guard for a 925, 925C, 925M, 925MC

Trigger Guard

and for a 983

Trigger Guard

As you can see the info for these two guards doesn't say if they are metal or plastic so again, a call might be in order.

Measuring the width of the trigger on my 983 yields a width of 5/16" where it comes through the trigger guard. How wide is the new trigger on the XT-22 rifles?

Good luck with your search and new rifle.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just measured the trigger on the the XT22R: exactly 1/4 inch at the point it exits the stock/passes through the trigger guard, then it swells ever so slightly to 10/32's of an inch (so from 8/32's to 10/32's) at the point where the safety trigger comes through the main/firing trigger. I can't be sure if the RZ is the same, but it stands to reason that it would be, right?
I like minor "detective work" like this, especially since I can't be at work right now. I might as well be of some use to someone! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the feedback so far!

So, Boyds claims that their stocks for the XT fit the 800/900 series rifles too. For example: Boyds' Rimfire Hunter for Marlin Rifles

I don't know if all 800/900 series rifles have the same trigger guard, but this seems to imply that they do? If so.. any of those should fit that stock, and thus... hopefully... work with my XT. But it's that unknown that's bugging me. I can try to call Numrich and see what they say.

As for my XT, I bought the model with the threaded barrel on purpose, giving myself the option of mounting a suppressor sometime in the future. I got it from Bud's for a very good price, and they had several other models in stock. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
After looking at the pic of the trigger guard the Mr. Tallgrass linked, I'd bet the price of the part that its metal.
Oh- it says on the page: Fits XT, 800, 900 series bolt action rimfire rifles.

Give a ring, but it looks like you're good to go, bud :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where do you see it mention 800, 900 and XT on the trigger guard page? Or are you talking about the Boyds page?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yessir, on the Boyd's page, in the block of text on the right side. I don't know how I didn't see that you had mentioned that exact same thing :shot:...
Sorry if I had caused confusion,

-Sam

-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called Numrich, but they were less than helpful. They kept saying that they don't have an "XT" Marlin in their system, and if I was sure it was a Marlin. *sighs*

In any case... going on the assumption that (any?) 800/900 series Marlin trigger guard will work, I'm going to go ahead and order one from somewhere. Midway is backordered, but Numrich and Brownells both seem to have the blued version in stock. Neither has the blued screws in stock, though, so I may just go with stainless screws for now and get the blued later (or find similar ones in the hardware store).

Worst case, I'll waste $20 on the wrong trigger guard. I'm sure I'll find the right one eventually ;)

Wish me luck! I'll post an update if/when I can validate our assumptions. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best of luck, I think you're gonna find that its the part you need:)
Please do keep us posted, after researching this for a bit I feel invested in your success ;)

_Sam

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated. Seems this question is gonna come up more and more as the XT-22 rifles begin to sell.

By chance, did the Numrich folks indicate if the guard was metal or plastic?

Good luck,

TallGrass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't actually think to ask, honestly because the man on the phone seemed less than informed. When I said "800 and 900 series rifles" he said "I don't see 800 or 900 in our catalog... I do see 880 though..." so I gave up.

But.

Looking around on their site, if you look at the trigger guards for the 800 series (880, 883) you'll see that it's named "blue" and is the exact same price as the 900-series guards that were linked. So, that leads me to think that it's most likely metal. For my use case, it won't be the end of the world if they're plastic, but I'll definitely post back and let you know.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Seems this question is gonna come up more and more as the XT-22 rifles begin to sell.

By chance, did the Numrich folks indicate if the guard was metal or plastic?

Good luck,

TallGrass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey all,

Ok, I have an update :) To sum it all up, I was able to mount the XT-22 in the Boyds stock. But... it wasn't as smooth as I was hoping. Here is the breakdown

* The trigger guard for the 800 series fits like a glove. It is in fact metal. I ordered the one for the 882 from Brownells, but I think all the 800/900 are the same thing.
* I ordered the trigger guard screw as well, it's a basic wood screw, but I wanted the correct size. I bought a black one of similar size to use instead.
* The "long" mounting screw, that goes through the front of the trigger guard on the XT-22, does NOT WORK. The 800-series trigger guard requires a V shaped screw, whereas the XT-22 comes with a flat bottom screw. As such, the screw is too short and the wrong shape.

So...

I went to the hardware store with my long XT-22 screw. I believe it turned out to be a 10 x 32 or something similar, I just found a nut that threaded correctly and used that as my guide. I then bought a couple V shaped replacement screws of varying lengths, making sure they sat correctly in the trigger guard.

When I mounted it all up, I ended up having to cut down the screw in length. If too short, the screw won't really hold the action in place well. If too long, it will protrude into the chamber, thus making it impossible to slide the bolt in. So, getting the length correct is pretty crucial. I had to trim mine a couple of times to get it the right size.

So, yes. The 800/900 stock and trigger guard works as expected. But the mounting screws may be an issue, so be prepared to do a little hardware shopping and trimming.

Edit: And I forgot to mention... the stock is GORGEOUS! It's meant for a heavy barrel, so my normal barrel sits a tad bit canted to one side, but I don't think it'll be an issue. Otherwise, I can't stop looking at it. I'll take some pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well Done dieselnut and many thanks for reporting back in so soon. I wonder if the screws for a trigger guard for the 882 have the same thread and length you need for your XT-22?

Got any photos of your installation yet?

Thanks for the word on the metal vs plastic issue on the trigger guard and the heads up on the mounting screw head differences.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, take a look at the parts diagram for the 882: Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories
The screw I ordered is part #49, and it appears to be both the front screw and the back screw. It's definitely a short, 1/2" long wood screw. The trigger guard looks like it takes the same kind of screw up front and in the back. I'm actually not sure what holds down the action in the rear of the 882... I don't see any long screws at all... weird.

Looking at the parts diagram that came with my XT, and specifically looking at the wood stock model with the removable trigger guards, I notice two things. First, the trigger guard appears to look almost exactly like the 882 guard, but I think the front portion of it is flat, meaning expecting a flat screw. Second, the front screw for the wood stock XT does in fact look flat at the bottom, like the one that came with my polymer stock. I can't see to well as the detail isn't very good.

So, it could be that the XT removable guard would have worked perfectly in the Boyds stock with no need to purchase different screws. But for me, with the 882 trigger guard, that wasn't a good solution.

I'll take some pictures this weekend. I can easily remove the screw I had to modify to show you what I'm talking about in pictures.

Well Done dieselnut and many thanks for reporting back in so soon. I wonder if the screws for a trigger guard for the 882 have the same thread and length you need for your XT-22?

Got any photos of your installation yet?

Thanks for the word on the metal vs plastic issue on the trigger guard and the heads up on the mounting screw head differences.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thx, I plan to take a look at my 983 this weekend and will take some pics of the trigger guard and screws/bolts.

I would like to replace the plastic guard with a metal one.

I guess I also need to go to the lgs and inspect one of the xt-22 series rifles so this stuff is clearer to me.

Again, thx for the update. Looking fwd to your pics.

Enjoy the new setup and stay safe on the range.

Regards, Tallgrass

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the update Dieselnut. I just picked up my new XT-22 today and a Boyds stock is a big possibility. The trigger guard you have used may be the same as the 925 metal guards that I have on my X7 marlins in Boyds stocks. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I recalled this older thread about installing a metal trigger guard on a Boyds stock and managed to locate it this morning. Post #3 might provide some useful ideas to deal with the front trigger guard bolt head differences.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-xl7-xs7-boltaction-centerfire-rifles/52714-metal-trigger-guard-installation.html

Good info as well about what trigger guards and where folks have had some luck locating what they needed.

I checked out your thread Radar 1, nice work on your rifle sir, thanks for sharing the link with us.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Gentlemen,

Diesel, thanks for keeping us posted on the build, I'm glad it worked out for you, even if you had to apply some ingenuity :)
I eagerly await pics :)

Thanks again,

-Sam

1 - 20 of 25 Posts