Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my NIB XT-22 to the range today for its first session. Report is as follows:
Absolutely no feeding or ejection problems. Nothing loosened up, or fell off the rifle. The issued magazine worked flawlessly. So did the Marlin factory 7rd. spare I purchased. Ammo used was Remington's 'Yellow Jacket' 33grain Hyper-Velocity for a total of 100 rounds fired. Accuracy at 25 yards, using only the irons, left one large ragged hole pretty much centered in a 2"x2" orange target dot. I made no adjustments, as the rifle's irons appeared to be 'dead on' out of the box. However, at fifty yards, thing got a bit more interesting. Again, I was shooting at a 2"x2" orange dot. A majority of the shots were in the circle. Accuracy was essentially 'minute of rabbit/woodchuck', but my eyes showed their age when I counted up the flyers. Mounted optics will truly reveal this rifle's potential, but I was happy with the results today. Now, about that trigger...Sorry, Marlin, but you've got nothing on Savage's Accu-Trigger. There was noticeable creep, and a wee bit of 'gritiness' in it. I won't compare it to the T-900 series trigger as I can't recall ever firing a Marlin equipped with one. I have fired some older Marlins, and I will state that their 'old school' triggers felt better (to me anyway) than this new adjustable trigger. Experiences will vary here, no doubt. All in all, still a great rifle for the money IMHO. Thanks for reading! Best!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Sounds like a pretty nice rifle! :) All that's left is for you to mount a scope on it and then take some photos. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MarlinXL7 said:
Sounds like a pretty nice rifle! :) All that's left is for you to mount a scope on it and then take some photos. :D
Thanks, MarlinXL7! I'm pleased with her. I am a bit disappointed about the trigger, though. Especially after all the hype about it. I don't anticipate mounting optics on her anytime soon (if at all). She was purchased as a 'walking' gun and I want to keep her as light and 'un-bulked' as possible. Best!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just picked one up on Sunday, haven't fired it yet. I took the action out of the stock and gave it a good bath in Hoppe's, then CLP.
I found the trigger to be crisp and creep free. I played with the adjustment, and ended up 1/2 turn out from factory. Maybe you need to get the factory gunk out of the action-hope it cleans up for you.
My only qualm was the receiver is drilled and tapped for scope bases, but not supplied. Will post pics when I get the bases and scope mounted.
Nicely built, robust rifle for around $200.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up one last Wednesday ;D
We spent a little over 3 hours at the range on Sunday trying this baby out.
I have to say I'm impressed with the overall performance, the accuracy is amazing! We were able to get some nice groups, 5 within maybe 2" (remember we're still newbies so I'm sure a more experienced marksman would do better). We were even able to hit several double holes even with our limited skill. The only minus we could find is with the iron sites which are a little lacking which is something we'll need to figure out before we buy a scope.
The fast-fire trigger is nice, even taking up the safety, the trigger action was still plenty stiff enough out of the box to provide good action.
The bolt was smooth and we had no FTF or FTE's. Oddly we did have 2 FTF (primer fizz but no bang) with our American Eagle Bulk which has never given us a problem in the 795 semi. This may have just been bad rounds as the firing pin did hit round.
As for the feedback from the guys at the range, everyone seemed impressed whoever put a few down range

·
Registered
711 Posts
And just think, I was eyeballing Henry's when I spotted the XT ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts