Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and am very thankful to have a place to turn to for generous,friendly advice and experience. Thank you for making my new Marlin experience such a great time.

I first thought of buying a Ruger 10-22, and did alot of internet research, finding that the age and popularity of the model created a bunch of resources. Not so with our XT-22.

So, I'm wondering if there are enough of us XT-22ers to form our own group within Rimfire.

Your vote will answer the question for our Moderators!!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
There is not much different from all the rest of Marlin's rimfire, bolt-actions. It's just a new name. The action is visually identical, in every way, to my almost-30-year-old Model 25N.

We'd need a new section for the 39A, certainly. Since it is vastly more popular than the XT-22/17. And, of course, the model 60 would need it's own section too...

I sort of feel that we can keep the rimfires separate from centerfires but am not sure we should divide up the entire rimfire forum by shaved hairs of differences between models.

Perhaps by action? Lever, bolt, semi-auto? But even then, it's not like this forum is overwhelmed with posts that make it confusing; right? there will probably never be a big, after-market for bolt action parts, for the XT series. The barrel is not easily removable adn the trigger is already adjustable. What's left to do, other than cosmetic changes or a new stock (which is available)?

Reactions: da 'Burgh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You make great points, JetBlack.

The Rimfire Forum would be the logical place to search for experiences, useful information, etc.. But the Rimfire Forum currently has two sub-groups,
AIRGUNS and
Rimfire Teams and 39A Stickies. Besides, when I do a site search on MO, for "XT-22" or any of its derivations, I get nothing (then having to search backwards for items such as "Scope XT-22".

Idea (based on your suggestions): Within Rimfire Forum, "39A, 60 & XT-22." Would you add any others?

It just may be that there aren't enough of us XT-22ers participating in MO (or that the MO Search Engine is not robust). I don't know, but hope to find out with the post.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You make great points, JetBlack.

The Rimfire Forum would be the logical place to search for experiences, useful information, etc.. But the Rimfire Forum currently has two sub-groups,
AIRGUNS and
Rimfire Teams and 39A Stickies. Besides, when I do a site search on MO, for "XT-22" or any of its derivations, I get nothing (then having to search backwards for items such as "Scope XT-22".

Idea (based on your suggestions): Within Rimfire Forum, "39A, 60 & XT-22." Would you add any others?

It just may be that there aren't enough of us XT-22ers participating in MO (or that the MO Search Engine is not robust). I don't know, but hope to find out with the post.
It is possible the 39A, Mountie, 1897 and the levermatic could be grouped into one sub group. The 795 and the 60 could go together and then lump all of the bolt guns into one group as well.

I agree. Searching forums is frequently a waste of time. I never give noobs a hard time when they ask a question that has already been asked a million times because I can sometimes search for five or six words that I know were in a post and that post will not come up. It is quite frustrating. Especially when I finally find the original post and it HAS all the words I was searching for in it, it's title, comments and replies. Frequently I have to just keep scrollign back until I find it, the old fashioned way. :mad:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a noob, it is reassuring to hear that I'm not the only "search-challenged" MO member.

Soooooooooooooooo, I now suggest a Marlin Bolt Action subgroup within Rimfire.

(The few number of responses to date tell me that "persistence is futile.")

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another new guy here. I picked up my XT 22 laminated stock from Cabilas this week and took it to the range saturday. My 70 year old eyes were able to group about 1 inch at 25 yards. I was happy with that with the open sights. My only concern was how hard it was to operate the bolt. I can pick up the rifle by the bolt and it won't open. Can I expect this to loosen up with some use? Or maybe some lapping of the friction areas may help. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sub forum" XT-22" is fine with me. The bolt does loosen up with use. I can hit 4" clays with the sights it came with. That is at 65 yards. I did use my wifes finger nail polish (red) to "pick-up" the front sights. My eyes are only 61 years old but I consider it a great rifle. For $200 and shooting the way it does. SWEET!!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Mine only loosened up a tiny bit. Never as much as, say, my centerfire Remington.

It really cams down tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sub forum" XT-22" is fine with me. The bolt does loosen up with use. I can hit 4" clays with the sights it came with. That is at 65 yards. I did use my wifes finger nail polish (red) to "pick-up" the front sights. My eyes are only 61 years old but I consider it a great rifle. For $200 and shooting the way it does. SWEET!!!
I think I'll try the red dot on the front sight. The little white dot on the stock sight just doesn't show up.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
A scope works wonders for old eyes ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another new guy here. I picked up my XT 22 laminated stock from Cabilas this week and took it to the range saturday. My 70 year old eyes were able to group about 1 inch at 25 yards. I was happy with that with the open sights. My only concern was how hard it was to operate the bolt. I can pick up the rifle by the bolt and it won't open. Can I expect this to loosen up with some use? Or maybe some lapping of the friction areas may help. Any suggestions??
my xt22 was real hard also. mine had a small burr on the bolt. i cleaned it up good, litely stoned the burr off, and oiled it. works smooth as butter now. aslo very accurtate

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've had my XT 22 since last March. I shoot the thing at least once a week. The bolt was stiff. Now, it's smooth as butter.

I put a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x20 scope on it. It can shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards but I mostly shoot it at 50 yards.

Mine is sort of finicky about high-velocity bulk ammo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new here to. I got a Marin xt22 mag a month ago sports barrel syn stock as well as a mossberg 817 17 hmr use both two nights ago after shooting them in. We were spot lighting in the back of the ute mate with a shot gun and me with the two rifles little sister with the light. First kill a roo at 80m in the head with 17hmr then fox on the run at 20m after the shot gun fan fired and clipped him. The wind got up so changed to the xt mag, and my god can it shoot hares,foxes rabbits and cats all going down, I thought 75to 100m would pull it up but took a fox down at 130m with a hornady poly tip. I love the marlin I have ordered a bull barrel xt mag and 17 hmr and will put a boyd,s stock on both great guns better than the savage 93 r

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Rimfirecentral has their Marlin forum divided Auto, Bolt, Lever and Pump.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
My XT22 in 22 Mag was capable of hitting empty 12 Ga. shells at 100 yards with CCI Maxi-Mags. Only reason I parted with it this years was the ammunition is now made from "unobtainium". I wasn't able to find any mag ammo for a year so it was traded...........I do regret that now. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts