Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone here can offer a little advice to correct this problem before I contact Marlin for warranty repair. I recently purchased a new Marlin XT-22 chambered in .22LR. The rifle shoots fine, but fails to eject the spent cartridge about 75% of the time. It always feeds, fires, and extracts, but fails to eject. I have tried different ammunition, different magazines, cleaning it, not cleaning it, running it dry, lubricating it, talking nice to it, and cursing it. Nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Respectfully
Brickrider

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Bent-or-missing ejector?

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,951 Posts
.22 bolt ejectors, of the fixed variety, in general, have an extremely fine fit. Another .010" in height makes a difference. The factory should be able to fix this issue.

Is this a Remlin?

AC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JetBlack, it is there and doesn't look misshapen. Of course I don't have another one to compare it against.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunscrewguy, I was trying to avoid sending the rifle back to the factory. I have found that to be a PIA.

Yes, it is a Remlin made in Mayfield, Ky.

Brickrider

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Numrich arms has new extractors for that rifle, $14.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Does you ejector look like this:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1227750B

Try bending it a bit? to strike the empty cartridge - buy a new one? Less hassle then shipping the gun back and forth. Call the factory - maybe they will send you a new one. If that doesn't work you will need to send the gun back.

AC
Yes it sounds like the tip of the ejector is not hitting the rim of the 22. You probably do not have 22 dummy rounds to test with. If you slowly cycle a dummy rd you can see if the ejector is working because it will tip the round outward towards the ejection port when it i contacts the back edge of the 22 rim. The extractor will then pull the rim to help flip the round out the port. If you test with live rounds be careful to make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ignore most of this post. If I could figure out how to delete this reply I would.

Gunscrewguy,

I cannot find that part in the owner's manual exploded parts diagram for the .22LR. It looks like part #42 listed as Ejector; Magnum. I am holding the bolt in my hand and I do not see it or anything that looks like an ejector.

Reading Cowboy23's response, I am starting to think the firing pin (part #9) and exactor (part #8) together act as the ejector.

I guess I will finally breakdown and contact Marlin. This is a new rifle and is still under warranty. Does anyone have any idea how hard over they are on the original sales receipt? I have looked everywhere and cannot find it. I live in Florida and purchased the rifle when I was visiting family in Tennessee. So, just driving over to the gun store for a copy is not an option.

Thank you
Brickrider.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It's not on/in the bolt - it's a little stamped metal bit that is pinned to the bottom of the action and rides just above the magazine. The tip looks sort of like paperclip wire. It rides in the little V-shaped groove in the bottom of the bolt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gunscrewguy,

That part in the owner's manual exploded parts diagram is for the .22 magnum. It looks like part #42 listed as Ejector; Magnum. The ejector in the .22LR is part #18 in the parts manual, magazine latch/ejector. Really hard to see in the exploded diagram as it is shown mounted to the magazine guide.

Everyone, JetBlack, Gunsrewguy, and Cowboy23 was correct. I took an empty .22LR cartridge case and loaded it into the chamber and cycled the bolt opening it slowly. Understand there is a some slop between the bolt handle and slot it travels in as you move it to the rear. I found that if I opened it while pressing it down against the bottom of the slot the case would not eject. It would barely make contact with the ejector and then ride up over the ejector. If I cycled the bolt and pressed the bolt up against the top of the slot it would eject every time.

I removed the stock and the screw holding down the front of the magazine guide. The guide pivots up on the mounting pin in the rear of guide bringing the ejector with it. I took a pair of pliers and gently tweaked the ejector more toward the center. I mean I tweaked it an almost imperceptible amount. I secured the magazine guide back in place, inserted the cartridge case and cycled the bolt. Now no matter where I hold the bolt handle, up against the top or down against the bottom of the slot, the case ejects every time. I will be taking the rifle to the range this afternoon and test it while shooting and rapidly cycling the bolt.

Thank you one and all.

Respectfully
Brickrider

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the rifle to the range and ran about sixty rounds through it. It operated perfectly every time. No failures to feed, fire, and eject. Problem solved.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Respectfully
Brickrider

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It always feels good when a fix is easy and works the first time :) I spent a surprisingly long time tuning my 1911 ejector to stop it from bouncing the spent shells off my forehead. I can't describe how distracting that is LOL!

Reactions: Brickrider
1 - 15 of 15 Posts