Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having some problems with my XS lever rail, I was just wondering about the following :

#1 if I decide to take the lever rail completely off, could I still use the rear iron sight ( ghost ring ) or do I need to order a new one ? I'm not quite sure if the bases are the same.

#2 I might just order me the shorter scout scope rail. As it also attaches to the front of the receiver by using two screws, do I run into any issues here as with my ( longer ) lever rail ? The issues are mostly shimming to get the scope on target.

#3 Would I be better off using another scout scope rail made by xxx ?

Any advice appreciated.

Pete

Team .45-70 Member #232

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody ????

I just can't believe it that nobody ever tried it.

Pete

Team .45-70 Member #232

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
moon – what rifle is this, I’m having a hard time with your questions. ???

1 – if this is the XS Rail ? is not the XS Peep attached to it? So it’s not going to screw to the receiver – right??

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Rowdy said:
moon – what rifle is this, I’m having a hard time with your questions. ???

1 – if this is the XS Rail ? is not the XS Peep attached to it? So it’s not going to screw to the receiver – right??
That would be my take as well.

Also, I don't think you'd see a difference between the lever rail and the scout mount as they both connect to the barrel and receiver.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rifle is a std 1895 Guide Gun blued. Currently I've got the XS lever rail on ( approx. 12" long ) . Mine included the front and the rear sight. It extends from slightly forward of the factory rear sight dovetail to the top rear of the receiver.

The ghost ring ( or peep ) rear sight goes in with a screw and a pin.

Pete

Team .45-70 Member #232

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
The Lever Rail system that I have came with the front and rear sight. The rear sight is integral to the rail. If you remove the rail, you remove the rear sight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1. If you remove the rail lever and want to use XS sights, you will need to order them from XS for use WITHOUT the rail.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
If you decide to get rid of the rail I got a rear sight for use without the rail and need one for use with the rail ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love a happy ending. Don't you? ;D

Wade

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, Wade. There's still a few hours worth of work going into this project. It would have been nice if it would have just been a bolt-on job.

Pete

Team .45-70 Member #232

1 - 12 of 12 Posts