Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys using the XS sights on any of your pistols? They have the classic wide V similar to an African rifle in days of old and a large dot front. And I mean large.

I put a set on a Browning Mk 3 HP, about the only reason was I wanted tritium sights and the offerings from other companies, all had to mill the slide. I could accomplish that of course, but not being sure how well I would like these sights, I did not wish to do any thing permanent.

They are not match target sights for sure, but probably will shoot one minute of bad guy at 10 yards pretty effectively. Have not shot the gun yet, need to load some ammo, maybe get a range trip in tomorrow or tuesday morn.

Again I dont get it, all the big players, seem to forget the Browning HP was ever made, as very few add ons are available for it.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Again I dont get it, all the big players, seem to forget the Browning HP was ever made, as very few add ons are available for it.
Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide certainly must be considered a big player by anyone's standards...and he has offered both custom gunsmithing services and a plethora of parts for the Hi-Power for many years.

Browning Hi-Power Parts

He may be one of the best...but he certainly isn't the only one. Joe Bonar, Kurt Wickman and Wayne Novak of Novak's Sights (another BIG player) have made a pretty good living customizing Hi-Powers as well as 1911s.

Novak Custom Browning

The list goes on.

Roe

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as said, I chose those for their drop in ability. I have a 9 HP with both a Cyl and Slide thumb safety and a Novak sight that had to be machined to fit.

I just finished up a FN made Brazilian HP, with the old style fixed sights, my old buddies eyes have gone the same direction mine have, and he could not make out the factory thumbnail front. Again, not wanting to make major changes, I machined the bottom off a series 80 factory combat high sight until it fit the existing HP dovetail, and then did put a front dovetail to fit a typical ramped front.

It got my hard working farmer long time friend, into it without helping Novak make his new car payment.

That was the one thing the Mk 3 HP did, was have decent sights, but they dont match Novaks dovetail, nor much of any one elses, with the exception of the XS system, One outfit likes 60 degree, the others like 65 degree, Bomar cut Novak cut, Hiene cut, probably a couple others too.
I think someone may have some money invested in the dovetail tool cutting tool manufacturing business.:biggrin:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it to the range this morning, and fired about a magazine to establish the zero at 15 yards on paper. then went over to the steel plate rack, and knocked down the first 6. I was feeling very pleased, until I took a gander at the front sight. It was cracked from the base and cocked over a few degrees!

They cost 90 bucks dealer, lets say I was not as happy camper. Now its always been a stone kitty to keep a large front sight on any pistol for very long. I called XS and they were very apologetic, but the guy shined me on a bit claiming they were machined from bar stock. Well, he may have thought they were, but they sure look investment cast.
There are so many new ways to fabricate metal, to save 3 cents a sight, one cant really tell much of anything for sure on how things are made any more.

He is going to send me another, but its gonna be hard to have confidence in them.

Recoil forces on pistol sights are tremendous. Like i told him I can recall when Colt had a problem keeping a front sight AND rear sight on their Gold Cup.

He was very apologetic, and I hope the next one was made a little better. With the limited 15 rounds or what ever it was that went through the gun, I agree, for a close up combat type sight, they look promising.

I asked him straight out, "is it because they are on a 40 rather than a 9" He of course denied any of that logic.

I suppose if they dont break on a Commander, maybe I just got a bad casting. How many rounds do you have through your gun with those sights?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts