Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I went to a local range with some Win 150gr and Rem 170gr corelokt. I never got around to shooting the Rem bullets. The Winchesters were already hitting 4" high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. I have the XS receiver mount rear and front sight combo. I like the product for its ruggedness and ease of use but it's just not making the cut. It would be nice if the front sight was dovetailed for different variations of XS front sights ie. big dot tritium, fiber optic or different heights. I digress. I will be making the switch to Skinners and I feel I should have went that route in the first place. I hope everyone else using XS sights are having better luck than me.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I would call them and see if they have a tall sight to remedy the problem, if the XS is what you want.

Then I will agree with you on the Skinners.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm waiting to hear back from XS Swany. And after experimenting with the XS, I like the Allen wrench adjustment with the Skinners along with the various front sights and rear aperture options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just mounted my XS rail system to my Marlin 336 this past weekend, and it seems to be shooting right on, I shot around 40 rounds of reloads and I was hitting 2 liter sized bottles at around 100 yards..I wasn't going for sheer accuracy, I was just looking to see if it was anywhere close, and that certainly was closer than I was hoping. Sorry to hear yours isn't shooting right on. I did notice though, using the large loop, you want to hold the front sight a little bit lower than what you would expect..but, that isn't enough to say that it is a bad sight.
Hope you get the issue resolved swiftly and inexpensive!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just mounted my XS rail system to my Marlin 336 this past weekend, and it seems to be shooting right on, I shot around 40 rounds of reloads and I was hitting 2 liter sized bottles at around 100 yards..I wasn't going for sheer accuracy, I was just looking to see if it was anywhere close, and that certainly was closer than I was hoping. Sorry to hear yours isn't shooting right on. I did notice though, using the large loop, you want to hold the front sight a little bit lower than what you would expect..but, that isn't enough to say that it is a bad sight.
Hope you get the issue resolved swiftly and inexpensive!
I wonder if there are sight height differences with the two different versions.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My 1895SBL came with XS sights and I find them to be poor for anything past 50 yards.
I'll probably go with a skinner sight, because of the 45-70's recoil a tang sight would seem
mighty unwise.

Reactions: Leverforever

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
My 1895SBL came with XS sights and I find them to be poor for anything past 50 yards.
I'll probably go with a skinner sight, because of the 45-70's recoil a tang sight would seem
mighty unwise.
Contact XS, and get the threaded ghost ring for your rear sight. The ghost ring is threaded to accept standard apertures that are available from Brownells or Midway USA. I have several sets of the XS sights on some of my rifles that are set up that way, and I prefer that to the ghost ring. For me, the smaller the aperture, the better my groups get, and vice-versa. I also have Skinner sights and they work great. It's your decision, but getting the threaded ghost ring is the least expensive way to achieve what you want.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are talking about the one piece front sight, the one that comes in the package is .250. You usually need a .300 for a 336.

Yes, that's the one. I actually was able to file the ghost ring down to get another 1.5 rotations and that brought my group down to only 4" high at 25 yards.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They will make it right. I had to order twice to get mine right.
Rather than wait for email correspondence, I called XS directly and got a hold of Ryan who coincidentally is a fellow Marine. I told him my issue and he put me on hold for about a minute while he worked out some math. When he came back he told me he would be sending out a .400 tall front sight with a prepaid return envelope with my shorter sight at no charge to me. I'll see how this works out. If it doesn't I already have Skinner's on the way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Consider that the current XS sight is only about 100th" taller than the factory sight from the base. And the ghost ring is sitting way higher than the factory buckhorn. It's probably taller than it needs to be but I'll take comfort knowing I can adjust for slow cast rounds to leverevolution ammo. If need be I can probably take a file to it and trim it to perfection.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Contact XS, and get the threaded ghost ring for your rear sight. The ghost ring is threaded to accept standard apertures that are available from Brownells or Midway USA. I have several sets of the XS sights on some of my rifles that are set up that way, and I prefer that to the ghost ring. For me, the smaller the aperture, the better my groups get, and vice-versa. I also have Skinner sights and they work great. It's your decision, but getting the threaded ghost ring is the least expensive way to achieve what you want.

Yeah a different size ring would work a lot better but on a Guide Gun you generally want
to have a big ring for close up game. So I don't fault XS for that.
I guess I can order a smaller one.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Yes, that's the one. I actually was able to file the ghost ring down to get another 1.5 rotations and that brought my group down to only 4" high at 25 yards.
Soless I had the same problem and XS sent me a shorter ghost ring that screws down farther and it is threaded to accept williams and skinner apertures. They offered to just swap them,but I just bought it as it was cheap. My sights work perfect now out to about 125yds or the limit of my comfort level.I use the skinner screw in apertures.
JB

·
Banned
4,732 Posts
I'm confused. An XS set is nothing short of perfection. No need to file it or modify them in any way?

Just order the proper front sight height and whatever sized aperature you want. I can't think of any caliber that would require less than .250 and not over .350 unless its from the base of the dovetail type front sight on a 16"

I know the .300 gives me a rear ring that is adjusted right in the midrange of its adjustment (threads). I have received XS sight sets before that had wrong parts like screws being the wrong size and aperatures with the wrong length shafts.

If you had to file the shaft to get it to bottom out the ring, you have the wrong part. The proper shaft for the 336/94 set will screw until the ring touches the base.

If you are needing the .400, something is out of whack.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yeah a different size ring would work a lot better but on a Guide Gun you generally want
to have a big ring for close up game. So I don't fault XS for that.
I guess I can order a smaller one.
If you get the threaded ghost ring, and use the extra apertures, be sure to order the "long shank" versions. Also, when you decide that you need the ghost ring instead of the aperture, just unscrew the aperture, and voila, you've got a ghost ring that is sized between the large and smaller ghost rings that come with the sight. When removing the aperture, be sure and put someplace where it won't get lost. They're small, and we all know what happens to small things. Don't ask me how I know this. A small container of some type that won't get lost or forgotten when put in you pocket or pack. Good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.