Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here with a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

I have a Marlin 336CS in .35 Remington that I've owned for almost a year now. It is currently wearing a Williams FP peep with a fiber optic front sight. I installed a WWG Bear Proof ejector and smoothed up the action a few months ago. It shoots great with Remington Core Lokt 200gr. I would really like to add a few more things to this rifle, including a scout mount.

My question pertains to some dimensions of the XS Scout Mount. I have been offered this mount with all the hardware for a pretty cheap price. The problem is this mount came off of a Marlin 1894. According to what I have seen the 336 and 1894 mount do not interchange.

I do not have the mount yet as I wanted to ask if I could make it work first. Just by guessing I am assuming that the 2 rear holes that screw into the receiver are going to be slightly different. Does anyone have an XS mount for both the 336 and 1894 that they can compare side by side for me? Is it possible for me to modify this mount by drilling and tapping some new holes? Does the front stud hole line up in the rear sight dovetail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I believe that the 2 rear holes are the same. There is a difference in skirt length (that is the rounded lip). And the dovetail is in a different place. Actually the 336 dovetail can be in a range of different places depending on the model year, but the 1894 dovetail is in none of those places. The 336 rail needs to be fitted with a file and is designed to make that easier.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Ask member papajohn.......I believe has both models set up with scout mounts.

I'm going to say I don't think they will interchange...... you wouldn't need to do any tapping if you were to try and mofify it though......"IF" it can be modified you would have to drill and counterbore new holes or if there is no room for new holes you will have to make the original holes into slots with an end mill and then you will have to use an end mill 1/64" -1/32" bigger than the screw head and counterbore for the mounting screw in the exact spot you need it........if you want it to look nice and professional......

If it were me, and you find it doesn't interchange, I would just buy a brand new one when a sale happens....... Natchex has them on sale for $30-35 all the time. That's where I bought mine.

Or check ebay for one......

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'd say it may not work. I have an XS scout rail on my 336, and it requires a tight fit at the junction of the barrel and receiver. If XS has a different model for each, then probably won't work.

·
Registered
324 Posts
They're different. My 336XS wouldn't fit my 94. Tried it and, as I recall the distance from the action to the sight dovetail is different on the two guns; shorter on the 94, and maybe the barrels were different contour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts