Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing the XS system on on my 1895G, now to choose an appropriate scope. Have been tossing the thought of a scout scope or a typical scope. I'd love some suggestions with pros/cons.
I have a long eye relief scope of my AR, and it is very easy to use. uploadfromtaptalk1407360958519.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
Wow um that is an interesting look for a lever gun?:hmmmm:
It is your rifle and if you like it go at it man.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I have a lever rail on my Guide gun, and am happy with the Leupold VX-2 1.5X4X28 scout scope, although any long eye relief scope will work. Just make sure whatever you use can stand the hammering of a potent round like the 45-70:biggrin:

A scout scope will give you better peripheral vision while you are looking through it. Also, no chance of scope eye...

Another option would be any number of reflex scopes. Here is my Trijicon RX30. Eye relief is not as critical as most have no magnification unless you choose to add it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Bushnell Holosight on my Guide gun and love it. Getting on target is very quick, field of vision is large because its easy to shoot both eyes open and the sight picture is there even in rain or snow or if lens fogged. The only drawbacks are it does take batteries(must be turned on) and zero magnification.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
I put the shorty rail on mine.
Fireworks & TAGS 013.JPG

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Looks good, I looked at both.
Also, see thru, quick release rings so the irons/ghost ring is still usable, I've been looking and see a few that might work.
The only trade off is the scope will be so high you will go from a cheek weld on the stock to a chin weld.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
A good scout scope with quality quick release rings makes the best of both worlds, without resorting to the abominations we call see-thru rings. If you want to use the peep twist the scout scope off and use 'em. Slap the scope back on when you are ready for glass.

See-thru rings are only good for the guys who make them and the guys who sell them. IMHO

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, it's nice to have good information from informed members, I'd not have considered the height difference and cheek to stock feel etc. I'll definitely look into the regular rings, quick release is a must.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
176 Posts
Use the Warne Maxima QD LOW rings or the Leupold Low rings. Warne makes the Leupold rings per my conversation with the Leupold Custom Shop. Add the long eye relief Scout scope that your budgets affords. I personally like the Leupold scopes for this application.

Best Regards,
G Mac

·
Registered
845 Posts
On the XS Lever Rail, does it utilize the dovetail of the rear iron sight as an anchor point? I know the Lever Scout Mount does, just not sure about the longer rail.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Use the Warne Maxima QD LOW rings or the Leupold Low rings. Warne makes the Leupold rings per my conversation with the Leupold Custom Shop. Add the long eye relief Scout scope that your budgets affords. I personally like the Leupold scopes for this application.

Best Regards,
G Mac
+1
Hundreds of rounds through my GG (and 9.3x62 and .308 ) rifle with Warne QD rings and they have never let me down. I've got two of the Leupold Scout Scopes in 2.5x and they're great scopes if you hunt where 2.5x isn't too much limitation. Get the lowest ring you can use and you'll find that the rifle comes up on target as fast as a good shotgun. The XS rail is a great choice for the Marlin rifle.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
On the XS Lever Rail, does it utilize the dovetail of the rear iron sight as an anchor point? I know the Lever Scout Mount does, just not sure about the longer rail.
Yes, there is a separate piece that slides into the dovetail that has a threaded hole in it that a screw passes through the rail and into it. Makes for a solid attachment to both receiver and barrel.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That dove tail piece took a bit to fit, but patience is the name of the game. As this is a new Remlin(pretty good quality for what I've heard of past older Remlins) I've gone through the receiver and removed the rough patches, it's pretty slick now. Needs one more run through to polish some parts a bit more, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
83 Posts
I plan on getting the shorter Scout rail and probably a Leupold VX-3 1.5x5 with the German #4 reticle. The scope costs as much as my rifle did but I appreciate good glass.
I have a Zeiss 1x4 on my .458 WM and on one power it will cowitness with the front sight. I like that when you're close in and moving.

-Will-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad i found this thread! I just picked up a 1895 XLR in 45-70 for hunting and I think the XS short rail is a good way to go along with a QD scout scope. I am going to start researching scopes today. I hope to use mine on a moose hunt in Newfoundland and the guide told me be prepared to take shots anywhere from up close out to 200 yards. So I will be looking at a scout scope with variable magnification. It already had xs post and peep sights on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Med let us know what you get, I've been looking as well, checked a couple I own on it and it's a fight between adjustable and fixed. I like adjustable, but haven't looked at them all yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Weaver offers a scout rail for Marlins too. I like the appearance a bit better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will do, lots to think about, I am not looking for a true scout set up but more something that gets the scope forward enough to clear the rear peep sight. This is in case I am out hunting and take a fall or whatever and damage the scope. I want the ability to be able to quickly remove it and continue hunting with the irons. I just have that kind of luck, have my whole life. :shot: A variable power in 2-7 sounds like a good way to go, my problem is with this set up I am sure I will need a scope with EER and that really narrows down the choices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts