Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it, I got it, I got it.

My 1894, 44 mag/spec just came in. I love it already. It’s a little lighter than the 336, but feels just as solid & tight. Which is something I wasn’t getting from my Win 94 Trails End.
I threw on the XS “Ghost-Ring Aperture Set” as soon as I got it home. But I’m curious about one thing. On the front sight, I couldn’t use the 2 screws that came with the sight, they were too long. I had to use the original screws that came with the gun, but I found that the screws will only go in one full turn. Unlike the 2 full turns on the original sight. Is this normal ? Everything’s tight.

Also, I didn’t put the “thread locker” on it yet. I want to take it to the range first & try it out, before I do anything perminate . Incase I find any problems and have to return something. Think it’ll be ok for about 50 rounds of factory 44 mags ???

BTW: Guess I'll have to be updating my "Avitar" soon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same problem with my 1894SS and the XS integral front post. The screws provided were too long, so I got a screw holder from brownells (looks like a pair of tweezers) and a file and filed down the screws until they were the correct length. I think the problem has to do with the thickness of the barrel. The holes for the screws can't be drilled too deep or they'll punch through the bore. Haven't hadn't any problems with my front sight yet since I mounted with the shortened screws. Good luck.

Shawn in VA

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I e-mailed their gunsmith & this is the reply I got the next day

First let's check to make sure we put the correct screws in the sight set. Take the front sight off and put back in the screws we sent you and hold it so you can see how far the screws protrude through the bottom of the base. They should stick out about 3-4 threads worth and if you hold the base so you look across the side of it you should just be able to see the screws just below the edge of the sight base as it curves down.

If there are more threads visible or the screws hang way below the side edge of the sight base , let me know and I will replace them with the correct ones.

If they are the correct ones then take a sewing needle and scrape down in the bottom of the holes on the barrel. Marlin uses LocTite on their screws and it can pool down in the bottom of the hole preventing our slightly longer screws from seating. When the LocTite dries it is almost black so you can't just look for it. If you find it down in the holes scraping it out should allow the sight to seat down fully.

If the screws are correct length and there isn't any stuff down in the holes then what has happened is the tap that Marlin used to make the threads worn out faster than expected. Your options then are to either get a 6-48 bottoming tap and chase the threads in the holes to their correct depth (not a common size tap) or shorten the screws slightly to allow the sight to seat properly while giving you the maximum thread engagement. I will cover that more fully if needed but let's check the first these other things first.

And this is what I sent back:

Thank’s for getting right back to me. I tried scraping out the holes with a needle, even went around the threads a few times. Then I scraped out the bottom with a mini-screw driver until it was shinny. I also tried some “carb cleaner” & alcohol. I retested the screws (yours & originals) by screwing them in (without the sight) as far as they go and counting as I backed them out. I still get 1 ½ turn up front & 1 turn on rear before they come out. I stuck a paperclip in the hole and marked it at the surface line. When I compared it with the barrel thickness, I could see that it’s drilled as far as it can go without breaking through. Allowing for the “drill point”, it looks like there’s only room for 2 threads max on this 44 mag. and (of course) your screws require 3-4 threads.
I reinstalled your sight using the original screws w/o thread-locker. Shot about 50 rounds of factory 240grs. without them loosening. Everything stayed tight, so I reinstalled them with the thread locker. I’ll just use it like that. But if XS does come up with shorter screws for it, please keep me in mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts