Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am hoping some kind soul can help me with a small dilemma. I recently bought a great 336 ss (30-30) that came with an XS rail and ring sight set up on it. The previous owner mumbled something about having issues with the rear sight ... Long story made short ... I received the rifle which is in great shape but the problem I have is the previous owner has stripped one of the small grub-screws that are used to move the rear peep sight left and right.. :mad:

I have been trying to locate a replacement but the local guys here in Brisbane (Australia) say they cant get spares for the XS system...? All I really need is one of the little screws 'cos without it the damn rear sight just wobbles around and I would hate to have to remove the whole lot and return to originals...

Any one have any ideas ? I had though of metal glue as a last resort but then I cant really adjust it if need be ....

I am not really much of an engineering type and dont want to fiddle with wrong thread types or sizes and further destroy the receiving thread. Could i buy a replacement somewhere online maybe ? (Remember I will need it posted to me in Aus...)

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I recommend getting up with XS Sight Systems. I had a problem with an order and they fixed my up fast.

Glue is probably not the answer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Leverlad, I agree with Tatersoup. Send an email to X/S Sights. They'll probably send you a few of those screws for free, although you might have to pop for the postage. If you don't get any help from them, let me know and I'll try to find a spare and send it to you. RJ

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't go metal gluing the screw, you will definatley end up regretting it. Get in contact with XS sights first, see what they can do for you, I have had a few technical questions and they always got back to me quickly. Worst case scenario you can buy replacement rear sight for the lever rail from Brownells for $60 + delivery, which I think is worth it, the lever rail and ghost ring set up is great, very easy to shoot accurately and much better than the original sights.

Don't bother trying to find XS sights stuff in Brisbane, I went to all the big stores, they didn't want to know me, then ended up buying 2 sets from Brownells.

Good luck.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Definitely contact XS, they're great guys to deal with. They took good care of me!

NYH1! ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had trouble getting support from XS here in Canada (why I've switched to Skinnersights) but I might have a spare grub screw I could snail mail you if you don't get any support from XS

·
Registered
122 Posts
yup .. have two spares. 8 x 40 slotted plug. PM me your home addy and I'll pop em in the mail.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
architeuthis said:
yup .. have two spares. 8 x 40 slotted plug. PM me your home addy and I'll pop em in the mail.
Hi There architeeus ...

Youre a Legend !! Many Thanks and I hope this good deed returns to you 100-fold mate !! I send my Addy by PM.
cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tatersoup said:
I recommend getting up with XS Sight Systems. I had a problem with an order and they fixed my up fast.

Glue is probably not the answer.
Thanks for that Tatersoup - I have fired off an email and they suggested I try using the marlin filler screws - but those dont go into the centre of the sight to touch the post and hold it in place..... so Im back to square one ... :-[

1 - 9 of 9 Posts