Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew if I could buy a set of the XLR stocks for my 30-30. I love the wood but I really love the look of the XLR stocks. Just so everyone knows what Im talking about, here is a picture.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
Try Gunbroker. There's a place up in Canada - W.G.P. - that usually has a set for sale.

Not all that cheap, but they're good people.

Brocky

Reactions: navajo

·
Registered
990 Posts
That's a great project, I too have admired the laminate stocks both grey and brown ones. Please keep us informed of how your project works out.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
You can do what I did with my 444's. Buy a 336XLR and switch stocks. Then you'll have a cool looking 336 and a 24"barrel 336SS.
Pair of 444's 009.JPG

Reactions: mattusmc and Brocky

·
Registered
473 Posts
I got the large SBL lever from W.G.P. Great service. Looking at getting a laminate set for my 1895GS to do a SBL conversion on it.

Ken CO

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
You can do what I did with my 444's. Buy a 336XLR and switch stocks. Then you'll have a cool looking 336 and a 24"barrel 336SS.
View attachment 108010
Were you able to swap the stocks from a 336 to a 444?? Or were both guns 444's? I'd like to do exactly that and if I knew it would work I have a 444 in mind I could buy for the walnut to go on my 35 XLR

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
They were both 444's. Don't know if you can switch with a different caliber.

Reactions: mattusmc

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Just to be clear, that picture is of an STD not an XLR. XLR's are pistol gripped not straight. You can certainly put a straight butt stock on your gun but that requires changing out the trigger plate and lever as well.

The other issue is the fore end on the XLR's is capped and most standard 336's (C, W, etc.) have barrel bands.

·
Premium Member
24,624 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew if I could buy a set of the XLR stocks for my 30-30. I love the wood but I really love the look of the XLR stocks. Just so everyone knows what Im talking about, here is a picture.

You can get a laminate stock from Boyds in a variety of colors/ styles
for 336's of either style.
They got some that look just like XLR's with a rubber pad and all.
Boyds: MARLIN® 336 PISTOL GRIP STOCK WALNUT (FINISHED)

Just select 336 Marlin w/ barrel band and click custom options.

·
Super Moderator
12,330 Posts
Lol that is my XLR which was converted to straight stock, where did you find the photo? OP, swapping buttstocks is easy if you have the right parts but good luck finding a laminated forearm that fits a barrel band. There were a few made as I have seen a couple but they are as rare as hen's teeth. Might be easier to modify a regular forearm to fit.

·
Premium Member
24,624 Posts
IMG_0454.JPG
This is a gun I put together that has a stock
on it from the place Brocky's talking about.
I just bought another one from them too, but
you can get one from Boyds for about the same
price by the time you pay shipping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kingstrider, I just did a search on google images and it was one that popped up. Navajo, I love the large loop lever also. Yours resembles exactly what I would like to build.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That BOYDS looks really good, has anyone gotten any other custom stocks in different colors? I would really like to see those. After looking I might get something in Pepper or Forest. 30767_4212315639953_2039565493_n_zps993bd98a.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts