Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to everyone!

Nearly two months ago I purchased an XLR in .338 ME on GunBroker from Bud's Gun Shop. (I love their customer service, BTW) I was only vaguely aware of the issues surfacing with these guns at the time. Living in a small community in rural Alaska, looking at a gun first doesn't always work. So it was with this rifle.

After buying the rifle- and reading in detail some of the accounts on this site of what others were dealing with- I began to fear for what I might find when mine arrived. Poor finish, misaligned barrel, poor fit... When my rifle did arrive, I was both happy and anxious. I've wanted an XLR for some time- it was every bit as beautiful as I had hoped for. My anxiety was due to the fact it had both the 91 serial number and the REP barrel stamp. And maybe my fears were working overtime, because I thought the barrel looked like it had more drop than it should. There is a slight gap (consistent with other photos I have seen on here) between the top of the fore end and the receiver. Also, when I popped the bolt, it looked to me like it just didn't quite line up.

Well, a host of circumstances kept me from hauling it to the range to see what would happen when it was shot. Today I was finally able to go to the range. Here's what happened.

I first set up a target at 25 yards. Shot number one hit the snowbank perhaps a foot or so below the target. Adjusting the scope brought it up and into the smallest circle in a matter of 3 more shots. I then moved to a fifty yard target. A couple more shots in the circles convinced me to move the target to 100 yards. Within another handful of shots I had it shooting right at 2" high straight down the pipe. All told I put just under a box of shells (factory Hornady) through it. And I feel very confident that it will be ready to hunt with. I would say it is ready to hunt with now, based on how it shot. But I want a bit more "quality time" in the interim. My plans for this gun are to use it for brown bear, possibly this spring. (I always seem to have more time in the fall, so it may wait until fall season) I also plan on this being my gun for this fall's moose season.

Also of note: the scope I have on it is a Weaver Grand Slam 4x40, which a friend loaned to me. No shims were used. The base is a Weaver base and Quad Lock rings.

Despite my concerns- and the sympathy I have for those on here who have experienced major issues- I seem to have dodged a bullet and wound up with a gun that shoots very, very well despite the fact I have the number and stamp of doom. Honestly, the only thing that really looks wrong to me (at least I think it's wrong) is the fact that the small beveled piece that connects the magazine tube to the barrel is blued, not stainless. I believe it's supposed to be stainless as well. Other than that, the gun looks sharp and shoots the way I had hoped it would shoot.

At this point, I'm a happy camper. I'm excited to think about having a bear or a moose in the crosshairs with it sometime this year.

Have a terrific weekend everyone.

Terry

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Shoot, I thought you were going to tell us another horror story, and I was all ready to offer you $300 to take the retched beast off your hands! ;D. I'm glad it worked out for you, and I think you are going to find that the 338 ME is a very efficient cartridge and a deer killer extraordinaire! I don't have any moose around here to shoot, but I have to think that it should do the job on them, as well.

I really like my 338 MX. Once I save a bit more money, I think I'll be looking for an MXLR to go with it.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I looked at a 338MX at Cabela's yesterday it had a 91 serial number and looked good. Action was smooth fit and finish was good. I'm debating if I'm going to go back and pick it up, figure my son could use it in a few years, and that way mine doesn't get commandeered.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
That is very good news Terry, I thought I was the only one with a 91xxxxxx and a REP proof barrel w/out droopy barrel issues.
I'm not convinced that the REP proof barrel was part of the equation, I think, along with some others here, that it was a problem with receiver threading and/or barrel installation. However, I've never worked in a firearm manufacturing plant so what do I know?
While I do believe these rifles should have been caught in QC and feel bad for the people who are still waiting for the issue to be resolved, I am happy you "got a good one".

Hey Big Med,

Check out Great Plains Rifle Works. Mark found both my MXs' after I told him what I was looking for. Plus I think you'd like the drive to Bruno ;)

-chris

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Welcome to the team! and I'm so glad you got the gun you wanted and it was made the way they should be...send us some pics of gun and groups!! we are always anxious to see a new babies first steps ;)

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
AK_Taxidermist I too like a happy ending. I had a cycling issue with my 338MX sent it back and got it back better than new. The Marlin NH, CT. Service work department was still in service. It took 10 days shipped out and received back. I have 2 XLR and MX so far. 308me, 35R. I did bore sighted in the 35R with the scope to zero windage and elevation [a trick I learn with the uses of a mirror] I was able to bring the scope up to within 2" at 100 yards as indicated by the grid in the bore sighting device. I was out of the 10" grid line, I guess I was about 11" low. I used three shims that was provided with the rifle to bring it up. I just had to use up 2" of elevation adjustments.

I know you said the scope is a loan but don't discard those shim. Your buddy may give it to you or sell the scope to you for a good price. You may like to do the mirror trick and save all that elevation adjustment.

Good luck on your 338XLR.

T ;) NY

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I went out and looked at new Marlins Sunday as well. I had in mind a 338MXLR. The one I saw was NIB and two years old. I really wanted it, but decided I wanted to get my son a 308MXLR before all the "Marlins" were gone. With dies and a lifetime supply of brass, its hard to argue with success. That 308 has been a hum dinger for me. One was out the door as I walked in and it was the last new one. I looked at current Remington production guns. These were a 30-30, 45Colt, 45-70SBL. All were fine but the SBL. Had some worries about it. Wood incidentaly was beautiful on the 45 colt and 30-30. Relatively rough actions, but barrels did not dropp than I could tell. Incidentally, we're going to have to learn about their new number system. Won't be able to age them easily with the information I have. I ended up getting a 308MXLR that was slightly used (2008) and used Cabelas points for the gun. I was able to put 200 bucks down and go home with a gun. Son is thrilled and VTDW's 3-9X short mag scope resides on it now. We got home in time to shoot it, but decideed the wet snow would make it a little more than we wanted to wade through. ::) Probably too big, but he will grow into it in a year or so. I thought he needed a short stock, but at 5 foot 3, he barely needs it. He grew 3 inches this year. My guess it'll be 4 or 5 in the next two years.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
My 338MX has a "91" serial number prefix and I've yet to have a single issue with the gun; obviously not all guns of this vintage are jinxed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine is a "91" with JM on the barrel. Not a bit a problem with it, can't be happier. I bought it from Bud's also, about this time last year. It's the one in the avatar. I must say it shoots very well. I just picked up some more ammo for it and can't wait to get to the range to have some fun. ;D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Thats Awesome JEB...I have not shot mine yet but if it shoots like my 308MX than I plan to break down and get a stainless one like yours for foul weather hunting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts