Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and could not find the information. The forum is running very slow for me, so forgive me if this question has been beaten to death.

I am looking for an XS7 for my friend's son as his first deer rifle. My questions are...I want to replace the flimsy stock with another synthetic stock. Does the Marlin XS/XL series use Winchester patterned stocks? I know that Boyd's offers wood stocks for the Marlin, but I am not a fan of wook stocks. I want to make sure I can purchase a B&C stock as a replacement.

Next question is....are the scope bases also Winchester pattern? I've read where you need a pre 2008 Winchester base for it to work on the Marlin rifles.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Munchie
You stated that you wanted to replace the stock on the XL. You owe it to yourself to shoot this rifle before you change anything. My XS7 has a como synthetic stock and I would not change it for any other kind. Mine shoots clover leafs at a 100 yds out of the box. I'm an old man and it shoots a lot better than I am capable of doing. With that said, just go shoot it before you do anything.
I think you are correct about the mount base. I truly can't say what my base plate is, because they, (my candy store) put the base and rings on it when I bought it. By the way it is in the 308 cal. I hand load for it and it is a great shooter. Your friends son will be very pleased with this rifle.

Good shooting to you.
Jim <")))><

·
Registered
137 Posts
jim36 brought up a good point. I would shoot it. I do not think IMO that the stock is flimsy. I just shot an Remington XCRII which you twist the stock really disappointing with a high dollar gun. I think that the Marlin stock will do just fine. My wife wanted the Boyds for a different look. Either way you will have a good gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a Savage fan and I have the tools to rebarrel which is what we plan on doing to this rifle down the road. I have heard the Marlins shoot well out of the box, but I want a varmint contour, therefore, the stock will need to be replaced as well.

·
Banned
2,359 Posts
They come with a Weaver type base from the factory.Winchester bases fit also.I have used Leupold bases for Winchester on them.I don`t think the action profile is Winchester.Winchester has its Lug as part of the receiver and these have a lug that spaces in the barrel.Why don`t you call Bell & Carlson and ask them if they will offer a stock ,or if one could be altered to fit the Marlin???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts