Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon inspection of the barrel today I could find neither a jm or rep stamp where it should be on the barrel of these guns. Since I was unable to take it home today "grrrr" for further inspection, is there another place this stamp would be or another way to tell? I'm assuming it's a rem barrel since it is new...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I've seen them on the right side of the barrel in front of the receiver showing the REP stamp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too but there is nothing there. If it's a jm is it in same spot? Theres a small proof mark on the left side of the barrel in the mirror image spot of where the rep stamp should be but I couldn't quite make it out. Is it possible this is a jm stamp or is that even where the jm stamp is located?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
If it's on the left side of the barrel it's most probably a JM proofmark. On mine it's pretty small, and kind of hard to ID due to its oval shape.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did have an oval shape to it! Hopefully this means I managed to get one of the original marlin guns somehow. Not that I'm exactly sure there is any real difference between the two I just enjoy the peace of mind that comes with the marlin barrel as opposed to the remington barrel.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Yeah, MarlinXL7 is spot on, here, they're generally stamped on the left side of the barrel, even for other Marlins made in Connecticut such as lever actions. They're not always fully stamped, either, sometimes you'll get the full JM, other times you'll only get a J or a M or a partial. We had a thread about this a little while back. This could explain why you weren't able to make it out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! Well if this is the case it more than makes up for them deciding they wanted to do a little more in depth background check on me. All I have to say is if they ordered more than one of these in they better not end up selling this one and me getting a different one when I come back to get it. Unfortunately I have learned over the years that thats my luck and would not be shocked if that is exactly what happens! Lol

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
Mine's one of the earlier ones before they put the "M" or "W" (depending on how you look at it) on the grip cap, and there's that Famous ID!. I picked this one up in November of 2008, they were only out for a short while. Mr fixit

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
^^^I will never stop kicking my rear for picking the one at Gander Mtn with an "M" just because my name is Max. I was so stupid I only checked the proofmark, my little brain never thought about checking the serial number. Alas, now my dreams are haunted by the XL7 that mighthave had a really, really low serial number. Oh well, I'll have to be satisfied with the 5,728th XL7 ever made. :'(

·
Registered
107 Posts
ready2roll said:
It did have an oval shape to it! Hopefully this means I managed to get one of the original marlin guns somehow. Not that I'm exactly sure there is any real difference between the two I just enjoy the peace of mind that comes with the marlin barrel as opposed to the remington barrel.
on my .308 you can't read it at all, its just a little circle that doesn't look like anything.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my xl7 is about half stamped, you see half the oval and the j real good and the m is barely on there

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm glad to hear about what everyone has to say about this stamp. The week I ordered it there was a 30-06 w/scope that was there and the stamp that it had was very clear and visible as a rep stamp on the right side of barrel so this one being on left side oval shaped and barely visible has my hopes high that this is a marlin barrel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after further inspection now that it is home I have decided that there is no way to make out exactly what the stamp on the left side of barrel is. Is there any other method of identifying whether this is a marlin or rem barrel other than the stamp? Possibly by serial #?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
ready2roll said:
Well after further inspection now that it is home I have decided that there is no way to make out exactly what the stamp on the left side of barrel is. Is there any other method of identifying whether this is a marlin or rem barrel other than the stamp? Possibly by serial #?
Serial # XL7XXXXX is definitely Marlin, I'm not sure what you have, though. Any way you can post a pic of the stamp? And post the first three digits of the serial #?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
starts 917 but has no XL7 prefix. looks similar to one pictured in this thread with walnut stock but it is very hard to identify. will try to get a good picture asap and post it here.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Looks like you have a "JM"-stamped Marlin. You can just see the edge of the "J". :)

That's what I think, anyway...it clearly has an "M" so it can't be a "REP" proofmark. I'm not sure if any X7s had the "REM" one. If you've got bigger pics PM me for my email address and I'll let you know for sure.

Here's how mine looks:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do when I can get a bigger more clear pic I will pm you and see what we can figure out. Thanks a lot I really appreciate all the help and input! Can't wait for some range time this is one nice piece. Completely satisfied so far!

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
So why you no like a Remlin

Attachments

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
me said:
So why you no like a Remlin
Me, that's a fine-looking gun you've got there. It kind of reminds of those Krummlauf thingys... :D :eek: ::) :-X ;) :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts