Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went ahead and ordered the xL7 in a 30-06 today. I'm also thinking of ordering a boyd's thumbhole stock for it. Has anybody used one of these with the XL7? Was tehre any accuracy change to the good or bad? I'll probably get it bedded into the new stock but wanted to see if there was any information out there on the thumbhole version.

Thanks
Brett

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep, I put a thumbhole stock on mine and love it. As far as accuracy goes it holds consistent 1/2 in groups and I've got as small as 1/3 in when I hold my mouth just right. And on top of everything else it looks good.

Jack

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jlteague said:
Yep, I put a thumbhole stock on mine and love it. As far as accuracy goes it holds consistent 1/2 in groups and I've got as small as 1/3 in when I hold my mouth just right. And on top of everything else it looks good.

Jack
Thanks!! did you do any bedding or other thing else or just drop it in and shoot?

Brett

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just dropped it the stock and went shooting. I got the stock just a little before hunting season started so I didn't have time to bed it then. I am planning to get it bedded this year, but it shoots so good I doubt it will do anything for accuracy.

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Could you post some pics of it. I'm thinking of getting one of those also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jlteague said:
I just dropped it the stock and went shooting. I got the stock just a little before hunting season started so I didn't have time to bed it then. I am planning to get it bedded this year, but it shoots so good I doubt it will do anything for accuracy.

Jack
I'd be inclined to leave it as it is, you'll not get much better than than that and could make things worse!

Nice shooting !

Well there goes another hundred bucks.. lol.. Placed an order for the pepper thumbhole,, it's on backorder though.

Thanks a ton for your help.!
Brett

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Did they give you any idea how long it would take to get it being that it is on backorder?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cody77 said:
Did they give you any idea how long it would take to get it being that it is on backorder?

The website states they will ship within two weeks of the order if the item is backordered.

Do it! lol..

Brett

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pic, it reinforces my decision.. I like the background on the wall too:)
Brett

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
CarlosFig said:
heres a pic of my xl7 with a pepper thumbhole stock:
You guys are not making this any easier. I think I'm gonna order one today! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow that's pretty nice looking !,, Hows it shoot in the Boyd? Did you notice any difference in accuracy, good or bad?

Thanks
Brett

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ya, I've only run about 10 rounds through it since I swapped the stock but it was a drop fit and didn't even require re-zeroing. Unfortunately, its still has the same limiting factor which is a crappy shooter (me). HAHA.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback, Just need to wait,,, patiently,,, for the gun to arrive and the stock to come off backorder!

Brett

·
Registered
9 Posts
They are well worth the wait. I did notice the gun balance changed. It is the same overall weight but the front end is much heavier now. I did not expect this. Doesn't matter off the bench but does when in the field.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You guys are killing me. I love the thumbhole stock. It looks awesome. You're making it really difficult to hold back on ordering one. :'(

·
Super Moderator
16,523 Posts
teacherboy, you thinking what I think you're thinking? .243 in a thumbhole!! ;D
I'll tell you this, Boyds did their homework, fit and finish is very good. Here's a link to the walnut stock I put on the XL7 30-06 standard stock, the pics should give you a heck of a visual on how close they are. Mr fixit
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,68144.0.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
You nailed it. I like the nutmeg and the pepper. I've got a thumbhole on another gun and I really like how they feel in hand. My only concern is weight. As it sits now with a scope and the synthetic stock it weighs 8lbs 2oz. Of course it should be a sweet shooter with little recoil given its weight.
mr fixit said:
teacherboy, you thinking what I think you're thinking? .243 in a thumbhole!! ;D
I'll tell you this, Boyds did their homework, fit and finish is very good. Here's a link to the walnut stock I put on the XL7 30-06 standard stock, the pics should give you a heck of a visual on how close they are. Mr fixit
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,68144.0.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cody77 said:

Just thought I'd let you know, even though website states they are on back order, it shipped today which is consistent with their website stating a 2 day turnaround to ship.
Due in this Friday!!!!!!! Same day as the gun.. Oh boy!!!!!!

I ordered the Ross Pepper thumbhole

Brett

1 - 20 of 21 Posts