Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently awaiting delivery of my XL7 that will be sporting a Leupold VX-I 3x9x40. Should be getting to the range to sight it in this weekend or next. Was just wondering if these rifles had a favorite factory load that I should try when I make it to the range. If anyone has had exceptional results from a certain ammo I'd appreciate the input.
Thx, Chris

·
Registered
981 Posts
I never shot factory ammo in my '06 "X" gun, but it does have a taste for 165gr Hornady SST and 180gr Noslers. I'd try those bullet weights first. It shoots 150s OK, but the groups are more than 2x the size of the 165s and very inconsistant. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ive shot a few rounds of 150 fed and 165 win on my xl7 30-06, I will be heading to the range sometime this week or next and will officially sight it in and test 3 or 4 different factory loads, I just didnt have much time last week when i went. So im kind of in the same boat i guess

·
Registered
240 Posts
I like Remington brass for handloading and bought some 150, 165 and 180gr Remington Core Lokt ammo. My XL7 shot best with the 165gr but the 180gr was close. I handload 165gr Hornady Inter Locs over H4350 powder.

I'd try some 165gr offerings from Federal, Winchester and Remington and pick the best one.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I haven't tried a lot of loads in my 30-06s, but both have really like the inexpensive Federal blue box stuff so much that I haven't reloaded specifically for them yet.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have found my 2 30-06's prefer the 165's and 180's over the 150 gr bullets. I handload so can't give anything on factory ammo.

·
Super Moderator
15,833 Posts
My XL7 seems to prefer the 165Gr. Remington, on the other hand......Federal 150 ain't too shabby either, not the best ..but not bad! Mr fixit

The 180s do not work in this rifle, will work in brothers Rem.30-06

·
Registered
54 Posts
4895 powder under a 165 grain bullet of choice at or not to far above the start loads of 45.0 grains. Around 2,500 fps. See how you like shooting that. It’s still going to kick a bit. My theory is there isn’t much sense in beating yourself up with a 600 yard load just to shoot at one or two hundred yards. I like 4895 because it meters well and is economical. It was a military powder for the 30-06. Either H or IMR.

Hunting inside of 200 yards you’ll get better bullet performance at the lower velocities.
If I was going bear hunting or some other heavy critter I’d use at least a 180 grain and would prefer a 200 or even a 220 RN. I’ve seen factory load 30-06 180 grain core locks on bear at sixty feet and it’s not to impressive. The bullets blow up to much shedding weight and lacking penetration. Bears died anyway after running 1/8th mile but the power of the 30-06 was mostly wasted in the fat layer.

If you want one bullet to do anything from deer to Moose the Speer 180 grain Deep Curl would rate high in my book. Although it’s a new bullet without a track record. One of the best features about a 30-06 is the ability to shoot bullets from 125 to 220 grains. I had a shooting buddy that loaded the 125’s in a heavy 308 Win rifle to shoot prairie dogs at a quarter mile. So I’d have to say the little bullets will shoot accurate too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a the XL7 in 30-06 with a JM barrel mounted with the new Redfield 3x9x40 scope. I fired all the brands ammunition with various grains of bullets through it. This rifle like the Remington 165gr Core-Lkt the best with a 3/4 inch three rounds group dead center at 200 yards. Now think about it it took me several weeks of going to the range and shooting various bullets through the gun to find the right one and also teaking my scope to getting it to shoot about dead center in a 3/4 inch group. I tell you that I'm happy with this budget rifle. I thinking of purchasing the new X7VH in 308 when comes available. So I can have that caliber to choose from when I don't want to shoot the others. Goodluck on your purchase.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well from what I have been reading I think I'm gonna start in the 165gr area and try a few different manufacturers then go from there. Was gonna go this weekend but my buddy backed out on our range trip so looks like it will be next weekend before I can shoot. Dangit! I hate having a new toy sitting around and not being able to play with it! Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey mate. im awaiting delivery of my 30/06 and have purchased the exact same scope as you, to put on it. i am confused as to what scope rings to buy. i know the ring needs to be 1"/25mm and the bottom bit is weaver style, but i cant find out if it's 11mm or 20mm. which ones did u use?

Cheers
snogga

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The factory weaver base is the larger one. However I took it to the range this past weekend and the screws for the base had the threads pulled either from the recoil or they were over tightened from the factory and stripped. I am currently replacing the rings and base that I have with the one piece base and rings made by DNZ this week(these are what I would recommend to you). It is also my opinion that the 6-48 screws from the factory are too small and too fine a thread to handle the recoil from this rifle and will be drilling and tapping the mounting holes for the base to accept slightly larger 8-32 or 8-40 screws. The DNZ rings can be found on their site ~50.00us, cheaperthandirt.com for 38.00us, and on ebay for various other prices. These are the same mounts that fit the Winchester model 70 long action. I purchased the medium height rings and the part # is Dednutz M18600. I would have got the low mounts but read somewhere that they only allow clearance up to 38mm objective. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi snogga,

Here is the DNZ one piece that ready2roll is referring to...it is on my 30.06 XL7. I think the machining on this mount is quite nice, especially for the price. I don't know about durability yet. The DNZ looks SO much better than the provided blocks that sit over the bolt opening...at least the front block did on mine.

Ed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DNZ mount arrived today, totally dig it! Looks awesome on the rifle and almost a perfect match with the Leupold finish and the medium height is just right with the 40mm objective. Haven't shot it yet but my opinion is that it's very well built and I would absolutely feel confident recommending this setup to someone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good to hear. Thanks for the update. I have decided that I will use the same mount. A little concerned about the screw stripping problem tho. I don't have any tapping tools and my gunshot said it would take 2 weeks if I got the gunsmith to do it. So I'm thinking that I'll heed the advice on the locktite and cross my fingers that it works. I might put up a post to see how common it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts