Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

what is the propper way to glas bed the recoil lug on a XL7 with a synthetic stock? What side/s of the lug should make contact to the stock? Somebody got pictures?

Actually the rifle is not bedded. When reassembling the gun i place the rifle on the buttstock to be sure the recoil lug makes contact with the rear of the stock. Is this right?

Regards David

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have bedded a few bolts, and just bedded my 3006 XL7 this week after floating the barrel. pre-bedding it was shooting amazing .5 inch groups with Hornady 165's. Any way I wanted to make the bedding solid so I dremeled a groove under the rear tang around the pillar, and I did a lot of grinding around the front pillar opening up channels to the surface behind the locking lug and roughed up the holes on either side of the pillar. I bed only the back side of the recoil lug. After every thing sets up a little I break the action out of the stock and dremel the acraglass that squeezes out to the sides and bottom of the lug, so the lug does not touch any where but the rear surface. I also add powdered steel to strengthen the acraglass , it is available from midway. Unfortunately I have not gotten out to shoot it since, but I expect it will make it all more stable, and repeatability better when removing and replacing the action in the stock. sorry, I'm in the middle of guest season here in MT. so I don't have time to get some pictures. If you still want them in a week, let me know. Hope that this helps some.

James

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Ditto the rear of the lug. The bedding should not hold the action in the stock when you turn it upside down. The barrelled action should fall out. Just be careful ;D IMO tight bedding can result in variable vibrations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts